What is different about Cohen leaving vs Stricklin?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Probably the same situation for both meaning I'm not sure either necessarily wanted to leave but there's more to the story than we're being told.

Nov 29, 2017
I’d say worse. Cohen played and coached here. He took us to a natty as well. Not saying anything about his performance as AD, but he was way more MSU than Stricklin.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Seems exactly the same to me. If Cohen wasn’t advised to GTFO, I’m sure he felt the need to move up in the AD world like Stricklin did.

On the bright side, now maybe we will nix the plans of that Cholk statue!

Reactions: was21

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
When Stricklin left you felt like you were losing an individual whose best days were still ahead. With Cohen, many questioned his hiring to begin with. He hasn’t done anything during his tenure to quiet those in that camp. Yet, others will point to baseball winning a NC. The fact is, Lemonis was never Cohen’s first choice. I guess at the end of the day, he did make the hire. But, simply put…the fan base seems to believe he is easily replaceable.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I was not that pissed about SS until he took Mullen. I’m not that pissed about cohen. I’ll be pissed if he poaches Lemonis in a few years. I don’t expect people to stay in jobs forever, even if they are state people. Change is good from time to time.
This is it right here.

I was disappointed that Strick left, but I never said “17 Stricklin” until he poached Mullen.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
With Stricklin we were waiting for it to happen. Also you have to take into account Mullen constantly getting his name thrown around every offseason at the time. It had everyone on edge.

No one expected Cohen to be a target for another SEC program. He’s just not as good.

ETA: it did get way more toxic when he hired Mullen away. If Cohen does something similar he’ll get similar treatment.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m asking from a fanbase perspective. There was much more venom with Stricklin.
I feel like most of the venom with Stricklin didn’t come until a year later when he hired Mullen away from us.

I mean in general, Stricklin was well-liked and people didn’t want him to leave. I wouldn’t say our fans hate Cohen but he’s definitely not as popular as our previous two AD’s.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I feel like most of the venom with Stricklin didn’t come until a year later when he hired Mullen away from us.

I mean in general, Stricklin was well-liked and people didn’t want him to leave. I wouldn’t say our fans hate Cohen but he’s definitely not as popular as our previous two AD’s.
This is pretty spot on. When Stricklin left it felt like all the programs were coming up… football coming of Dak years, baseball stadium had just been announce, and Howland was headed into year two. And when it happened it was just brushed off as “Oh well he wants the commissioner job and this will help”. Then Mullen happened. Cohen it felt like we were stuck with and it was either he was going to have to make drastic changes with a lot or he was going to get let go. So it’s kind of a relief

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Stricklin was pumping excitement into the fan base. He had most people I know excited about States future. Cohen squandered everything Stricklin had built. The only good thing I can say about Cohen was that he wasn’t going to put up with a coach who didn’t need to be here. He’d fire them in a minute.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
We were still on the upswing that started with Byrne in most sports when Stricklin left. We’ve been stagnant to declining since Cohen took over. People realize this and aren’t upset with this development.

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
With Strickland's move, Florida had been such an amazing athletic program across the board and it came with a huge pay bump. Florida wanting him was an indication of his time at State being a success.

None of that is particularly true of Cohen's choice. I expected him to retire from State, and it's difficult to figure out why he'd be willing to go, the f'ing weekend before we play them, unless he was expecting to be eased out shortly.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
He's not going to poach Lemonis.....Butch is damn good coach and a friend of JC............
I was not that pissed about SS until he took Mullen. I’m not that pissed about cohen. I’ll be pissed if he poaches Lemonis in a few years. I don’t expect people to stay in jobs forever, even if they are state people. Change is good from time to time.

Reactions: vandaldawg

was21

May 29, 2007
When Strick left, there was not NIL and transfer portal. Now there is. Cohen is not up to dealing wtih NIL or the transfer portal, particularly in football since he seems not to care less. Keenum probably recognizes this. To me there was a red flag when SEC network weekend was in Starkville and Keenum was the guy who represented State on that show while Cohen was a no show..no pun intended. So maybe evidence that Keenum felt like he had to "fill in" for his AD who should have been there. After all, ego is important at that level. Stricklin maybe just wanted to get away from his pa in law...just kidding about Strick. He maybe just wanted to make his own way in life and get more money. At Auburn, NIL won't be as much a problem as it is at State. Transfer portal may be a different cat...JMHO

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Stricklands was a good ball but he was good at making us look good so I hated for him to leave. I’m glad to see Cohen go…nothing got better under him yes Baseball had a run but he hired Jo Mo that’s all i needed to see

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Doesn’t really feel any different. I have quite a bit less vitriol towards Cohen based on what was accomplished during his tenure compared to Stricklin….and also due to how much more BS he had to put up with than Stricklin.

But overall, losing an AD is going to happen every 5-10 years regardless in today’s environment. Not really much is going to change for us in the grand scheme of things with whomever the replacement is.

DonFive

Oct 13, 2022
I just see guys leaving a job. Find someone competent and let's move forward.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Never cared for the cohen hire as our AD. Not sure what auburn saw. I figured cohen would be our AD until he retired. I am miffed our alumni hires cut bait an move on without being fired or retiring. Think we should stay away from alumni going forward. With Stricklin I was mad because he was a good AD and I was pulling us forward. I don't feel like Cohen was that good and didn't understand the sports business side enough to get the job he got. SEC AD is a multi million dollar sports business with lots of pieces. I think people that work on that side make better ADs than college level coaches. I also knew that stricklin was hired to hire Mullen away. That pissed me off.

hopefully we will not make a lazy hire here or promote from within. Too big of a business now.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Bailey Howell didn’t run the place after his wuss son-in-law left and cohen’s pelosi loving leftest wife will finally have no say so here.

Please don’t let Cohen screw this up like he has screwed everything else up here.
It’s time for the return of Vic!!!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Without going into detail, there is no difference in the 2 leaving, 17'em both and hope to never see either of them on campus again

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Cohen has alienated several significant donors with his abrasive personality. I appreciate his efforts but we need to make a better hire that can take us into the future.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login