What is DJ Jeffries issue?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
you got me i give up GIF by Mike Shinoda

You asked the right bunch. I bet they have an answer.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and WilCoDawg

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Prior to relegating Reed to the bench I think he was pressing hard. Today I think he threw up some prayers as the shot clock expired which effected his percentage. Moving forward with the much better guard play we’re getting I think he’ll get easier shots and we’ll see his numbers improve.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
He seems to end up with the ball a lot with the shot clock winding down and has to force some shots. But that being said, he bricks a lot of open look 3’s I agree

Reactions: 60sdog

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
No legs, not used to playing defense like this. On a serious note he’s not going straight up on his shot and is always moving forward which leads to no touch on the ball and you see the result, he is not use to playing at this speed.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
He literally can’t make a perimeter shot anymore.
I just don’t think he’s a very good player. When he left, my buddy who is a big Memphis fan was somewhat glad. He’s just never been a very good player. Talented? Extremely. Good player? Not really.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Shooting the basketball properly always starts with a good base. Having a good base involves having your feet square to the basket. Square feet means that your feet are pointing straight to your target, that your feet are narrow (no wider than shoulder-width) and that your dominant foot is in the lead position (slightly ahead of your non-dominant foot.)

The next major component is to shoot the ball from a bent knee position. Bending your knees is important as it is your legs that give you power in your shot. Bending your knees should occur before/as you are catching the ball not after the fact.

The third major component is to keep your shooting elbow “in” and shoot from the “pocket”. Your shooting pocket is having the ball in an aligned position with the shooting side foot, knee, and elbow. With the ball properly in your shooting pocket there should be a foot-knee-elbow-ball alignment; meaning, your foot, knee, elbow and ball should all be in a straight line with your shooting hand and elbow underneath the basketball

Lastly, it is crucial to have and hold a good follow through. A follow through is simply the shooting phase and the completion of that motion. A proper follow through starts with shooting the ball from the pocket (as described above) without “dipping” the basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I’ll step up and go against the grain here. He’s a 6’7 guard who can handle the ball pretty well. He can shoot it from deep, when he gets hot, can be a force to be reckoned with. He has an attitude, an edge, a little bit of meanness, if you will. No team is gonna come in a punk dj or his friends out. . . and no sec official is gonna get away with bias, without hearing it from dj. We need 1 or 2 just like him every single year.

Reactions: trob115

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He's been under 25% shooting for weeks. Now he's trending towards 10%. He's a very good defender when he's going all out, and he's a good rebounder as well.

He's getting progressively worse shooting. He'll hit a big shot every now and then but it's the routine shots that he bricks. He gets awful charging calls often and steps out of bounds more than all other players combined.

Davis needs to start now. Moore as well. Tolu of course and also Matthews and Stevenson. Let DJ come off the bench for a while and be the 6th man super D guy. Nothing much on the other end.

He is just not the scorer he thinks he is (once was) and it's caused us to lose several close games.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
He's been under 25% shooting for weeks. Now he's trending towards 10%. He's a very good defender when he's going all out, and he's a good rebounder as well.

He's getting progressively worse shooting. He'll hit a big shot every now and then but it's the routine shots that he bricks. He gets awful charging calls often and steps out of bounds more than all other players combined.

Davis needs to start now. Moore as well. Tolu of course and also Matthews and Stevenson. Let DJ come off the bench for a while and be the 6th man super D guy. Nothing much on the other end.

He is just not the scorer he thinks he is (once was) and it's caused us to lose several close games.
You hit on the point that a lot of people are glossing over. It’s not like DJ’s just never been much of an offensive threat. He started out at Memphis with a lot of promise as a freshman, and he’s gotten progressively worse every year of his college career.

Year 1: 51% FG, 39% from 3
Year 2: 44% FG, 35% from 3
Year 3: 42% FG, 29% from 3
Year 4: 32% FG, 25% from 3

This isn’t a slump. This is a 4 year collapse, and I don’t know whether it’s DJ or Jans pressing, but he’s trying to be someone offensively that he’s clearly not capable of being. It’s got to stop

Reactions: onewoof

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I just don’t think he’s a very good player. When he left, my buddy who is a big Memphis fan was somewhat glad. He’s just never been a very good player. Talented? Extremely. Good player? Not really.

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 09/05/2018​

Jerry Meyer

Jerry MeyerDIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL SCOUTING

PROJECTION​

UFA

COMPARISON​

Luke BabbittATLANTA HAWKS

Average size for a combo forward. Not an overwhelming athlete, but has a skilled game. Comfortable with the ball but is primarily a scorer. Not known as a playmaker. Dangerous as a mid-range scorer off the dribble, post up and curl cuts. Has promise as a long-range shooter. Rebounds well but average defender at best. Bubble NBA prospect.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
He is a bull in a China shop. His best position is to play the front of our half court press. I believe he does an excellent job with that. He moves East - West very well… long *** arms and he can double team anyone when they have the ball. But he is out worst ball handler on offense and can’t control himself when he tries to drive the ball.

But he busts his *** on defense and him and Cam are unbelievable in the trap press we run.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
He was evaluated by people who do not follow basketball very closely….his true ceiling has been out of reach for 98% of his career….the good games “plays” are outliers

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
DJ is great on defense. He hustles, moves his feet, rebounds outside his area, and anticipates well. It seems like all that, which is incredibly valuable, is either not recognized or ignored by many in our fanbase.

On offense, his shot is 17ing broken. Straight up broken. No sugarcoating it. With that said, he ends up with the ball late in the shot clock way more frequently than anyone should. Its actually odd to see how often he is passed the ball on the perimeter with less than 7 seconds. So he throws up a lot of shots to beat the clock. That doesnt account for all, or even most, of his poor shooting though.
I am actually OK with him taking set 3pt shots early in the shot clock when they come in rhythm and he is open. We get the chance for a long rebound and when the team shoots 28% from deep, I dont see much downside to a 25% shooter taking an early open shot. Its almost no different from the team average. Shockingly, DJ has a slightly higher 3pt% than Moore.

If DJ initiates the offense, I am good with it. If he helps lead the defense, I am good with it.
I just dont want him driving to the rim from outside the 3pt line or on a fast break. Its like he ends up with a charge 50% of the time when he starts from beyond the arc.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I wonder what Moore's % is since about the 10th game of the season. That's when he seemed to be back to the way he was last year pre-conference.

Update - he is 14/41 since the Minnesota game.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I wonder what Moore's % is since about the 10th game of the season. That's when he seemed to be back to the way he was last year pre-conference.

Update - he is 14/41 since the Minnesota game.

Last 6 games Moore is averaging 11.6 points, shooting 34.8% from the field and 88% free throws and 1.5 turnovers a game. Moore had a bad game against Bama @ Bama, went 2 for 10. Shot 23% from 3 the last 6 games.

Last 6 games DJ is averageing 8.2 points, shooting 28.3% from the field and 66% free throws and 4.2 turnovers a game. DJ's stats only look good on rebounds and steals. Shot 26% from 3 the last 6 games.

Davis' last 6 games:
11.2 points, 33.8% from the field (47.3% last 2 games) and 81% free throws and leading the team in assists. Shot 40% from 3 the last 6 games.

Davis starts and he needs more 3 attempts (any open 3 he should take). DJ needs to focus on offensive rebound put backs and defending.

If you want to win, get the ball to the guys that have the highest shooting %. That would be Tolu, and if he is double teamed, SET A DAMN PICK for Davis and Moore or rotate the ball around for them to get an open look. This game is not rocket science. If DJ wants to lose, just keep on jacking up bricks @%@#%#@

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Looking at the stats posted in this thread and the body of work for all our players, it really feels like we have a team full of Robins that would really benefit from having a Batman. I like Smith, Moore and Jeffries. They are good players however they are more suited to play with a guy like Molinar who can take the main focus from the other team. Molinar would have made a tremendous impact to this team. It’s a real disappointment that we couldn’t get him to stay one more year. I understand why he left, but it’s just not at cut and dry now that we have NIL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login