What makes you less hireable?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bohanon. He'll never coach again at this level. Cannizaro could have worked his way back up to a college job if he hadn't 17ed up again at his HS rehab job.

Reactions: Dawgg

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
To me it all comes down to on the field issues vs. off the field issues. Gambling could arguably been seen as an off the field issue. Gambling on his own team creates an on the field issue, no two ways about it. Placing a $100 bet on a game that you have a direct and material influence over is infinitely worse than a $100,000 bet on a game you have nothing to do with.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Bohannon.

Cannizaro messed up, but he had an NCAA Regional win under his belt as a rookie HC and could have found his way back to a D1 position eventually if he had not continued messing up. Winning forgives most off-field issues and I think if he could get rid of the off field distractions, he was probably a good enough coach to win somewhere.

Betting on your own team though? That's a death sentence. Bohannon's either going to end up coaching HS or being the color guy on Georgia Tech radio.

That being said... Liberty could randomly hire either of these guys and it wouldn't surprise me.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Cannizaro or Bohannon alleged wrongdoings. Discuss.
When your son walks in my office and says “I gotta have a raise.” Why? “Because my daddy works here and is a key employee. We are a package deal. If I go, he goes.” Get the F out.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The large bet that raised suspicion was on LSU to beat Bama.
Right.. the implication is that he scratched the Bama pitcher that day and colluded with someone to place a large bet on LSU to cover.

No idea if that's true but it's the college sports scandal of 2023 if he did it.

Last edited:

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Right.. the implication is that he scratched the Bama pitcher that day and colluded with someone to place a large bet on LSU.

No idea if that's true but it's the college sports scandal of 2023 if he did it.
This could be a 30 for 30 special in about 10 years. The last big college betting/cheating scandal I can remember was Boston College basketball back in the late 70's, maybe early 80's.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
What I want to know now... how many times is it possible he did it without getting caught?

Cause when you catch your 12 year old son watching Skinemax at 1am you can bet your left nut he didn't stumble across the channel that night.

Nov 25, 2019
This is a tough one but I have to go bohannon. Gambling allegations with your own team is bad.

If it was true Cannizaro was texting from the dugout during a game - that’s just as bad to me.
long term gambling concerns is greater than sexual misconduct concerns

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is a tough one but I have to go bohannon. Gambling allegations with your own team is bad.

If it was true Cannizaro was texting from the dugout during a game - that’s just as bad to me.
I don’t see what’s tough about it. If bohannon was involved in this bet, that means he helped direct a bet for his team to lose a game. One of the bets in question was a money line bet for LSU to win. What could be worse than your coach potentially losing games on purpose?

Someone needs to go back and look to see if any odd bets were placed the weekend we took 2 of 3 from Bama.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When your son walks in my office and says “I gotta have a raise.” Why? “Because my daddy works here and is a key employee. We are a package deal. If I go, he goes.” Get the F out.
Exactly what I was thinking too***

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
This could be a 30 for 30 special in about 10 years. The last big college betting/cheating scandal I can remember was Boston College basketball back in the late 70's, maybe early 80's.
There was Hot Rod Williams at Tulane in the mid-80s. Tulane shut down their men's hoops program for four or five years because of it.

I also seem to remember something with Northwestern basketball in the 1990s (though not the specifics).

ETA - Here's the Northwestern story. Involved both football and basketball players.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
If Bohannon bet on his team to lose, it's him. No question.

Cannizaro is really interesting to me. If he was texting in the dugout, it makes sense why he hasn't gotten another college job. Supposedly he got in a fight with parents of the high school team he was let go from last spring. Dude had all the makings of a good coach at least from the perspective of that 2017 season. I think there has to be more that hasn't come out about his firing from State. 17ing a staffer with a pregnant wife is absolutely awful, but there are a lot of amoral people that are still coaching/involved in sports. Even including texting in the dugout seems like it's surprising he hasn't popped up at a smaller school. There's gotta be something else to it that isn't public.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Reminds me of the South Park episode with the Turd Sandwich and the Giant Douche running against each other for class president.

I don’t have the mental energy to split hairs over which of two candidates I’d rather have the least…..knowing that both will never, ever coach in the D1 college ranks ever again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login