What Next Recruiting

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
So Lebby and team did a great job on this initial signing. Assuming Stonka and hopefully Hill secretly signed, who all else is on our list that we are still targeting?

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
If not this transfer portal window then the spring portal I imagine we go after an edge rusher and another cornerback. Those are the two biggest needs imo

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Where was our class ranked before the took over? Looks like we are at 32 now (recruiting and portal).

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Where was our class ranked before the took over? Looks like we are at 32 now (recruiting and portal).
I can't remember when I last looked, but I think it may have been right after Stonka decommitted, and we had dropped to 54.

That was what was so incredibly frustrating about Arnett and his staff. If you just get bodies in the SEC, you're going to end up in that 30-40 range, but they went months without even being able to do that. Arnett's short tenure here will go down as one of the more bizarre ones in my lifetime. I thought he had great potential, but rarely have I seen a staff completely dismantle a program as quickly as that one did. There is absolutely nothing about the program that wasn't a complete trainwreck

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I can't remember when I last looked, but I think it may have been right after Stonka decommitted, and we had dropped to 54.

That was what was so incredibly frustrating about Arnett and his staff. If you just get bodies in the SEC, you're going to end up in that 30-40 range, but they went months without even being able to do that. Arnett's short tenure here will go down as one of the more bizarre ones in my lifetime. I thought he had great potential, but rarely have I seen a staff completely dismantle a program as quickly as that one did. There is absolutely nothing about the program that wasn't a complete trainwreck
It was legitimately worse than croom. And I mean that. Can you imagine what aren’t would have done to this program if he was allowed to stay for as long as croom was?

ETA: I like what spellcheck did there, no I am not going to change it

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I think we got Stonka. Good shot with Hill.

Arnett's tenure was more of a 777 crashing into and causing said trainwreck. I think he just got so overwhelmed, was so in over his head, his decisions didn't pan out, and just threw his hands up. Alot of head scratching for sure.

Reactions: patdog and eckie1

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It was legitimately worse than croom. And I mean that. Can you imagine what aren’t would have done to this program if he was allowed to stay for as long as croom was?

ETA: I like what spellcheck did there, no I am not going to change it
I can't disagree. Croom's plan to do things by the book and turn 2* kids into SEC players was never going to work, but at least we all understood what he was trying to accomplish. It was just a losing plan

I really don't have a clue as to what Arnett was attempting to do in any phase of the game while he was head coach here. It was like a 5-year old walking into a sound studio and just turning knobs or pushing buttons because it made them blink, but he had no idea as to what any of them did.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Also maybe Dante Dowdell out of the portal could be someone to watch. Would be a huge pickup

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
January 22 I believe is the last day to enroll for Spring. Lots more will be hitting the Portal as Bowl season wraps up. Lots of work to be done between now and January 22.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Denver Broncos Football GIF by Broncos

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Croom at least did leave us with a good recruiting class his last year. I will give him that.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If not this transfer portal window then the spring portal I imagine we go after an edge rusher and another cornerback. Those are the two biggest needs imo
Lebby actually made that exact statement if I'm not mistaken

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can't disagree. Croom's plan to do things by the book and turn 2* kids into SEC players was never going to work, but at least we all understood what he was trying to accomplish. It was just a losing plan
I don't see things this way. I think Croom's recruiting plan actually did work. He brought in better players. His issue is that he wanted to be an offensive guru, and he wasn't - he was a recruiter. No telling how much better we would have been had he actually delegated the offense to even Woody, and then concentrated even more on recruiting. Remember the Florida game in 2004? That was Woody's gameplan. That guys wasn't stupid...but Croom was. And prideful. But stupid guys can still make it as CEO recruiters - see Dabo and Orgeron.

THAT....just like Arnett's dumbass decisions this year.....is what cost him. And that's also why Mullen turned around the program immediately, there were good players there.

Coaching outside your competency just absolutely kills everything about the program.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In all fairness, even if Arnett had stayed, he would have improved some just by bringing in players. Wouldn't have done as well as Lebby though, for sure.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login