What record would it take for Selmon to pull the plug on Arnett after this season?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I really hope Arnett gets things turned around and we come out this week and play really well and beat SC, but I’m a realist. We haven’t looked good in any of our games, including SELA. If we completely collapse and go 0-8 or 1-7 in the SEC, would that be enough for Selmon to try and fix Keenum’s mistake immediately?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
S/b fired with only 1 sec win but not sure Keenum and Cigar Boys will go along with it after just one year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
S/b fired with only 1 sec win but not sure Keenum and Cigar Boys will go along with it after just one year.
They aren't paying him that much to get out of it. It was a rushed emotional quick fix decision by keenum snd bracky. If I'm Selmon I want my own guy in my money making sport. We go 4/8 he's gone.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
3 and 9. Only other win is Western Michigan. Zero SEC wins and a loss to USM. And if you don't think that is highly possible after seeing the product we are fielding you are insane. Remember how they were saying the team was really picking this offense up and looking good on both sides of the ball ?? Heard that all fall. Well they obviously 17n don't know what they are looking at. Stevie Wonder can see this is a train wreck

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think 4 or more wins, he stays. He's a first time head coach implementing a completely new offensive system. He's going to get a lot of rope this season.

I think the recruiting class being brought in may also play into it too. If he can show that he's getting the players to run Barbay's system, he may get some leeway even with a 3-9 season.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
3 and 9. Only other win is Western Michigan. Zero SEC wins and a loss to USM. And if you don't think that is highly possible after seeing the product we are fielding you are insane. Remember how they were saying the team was really picking this offense up and looking good on both sides of the ball ?? Heard that all fall. Well they obviously 17n don't know what they are looking at. Stevie Wonder can see this is a train wreck
Yea, some of the “experts” on other sites should have lost a lot of credibility.

Aug 22, 2012
I think 4 or more wins, he stays. He's a first time head coach implementing a completely new offensive system. He's going to get a lot of rope this season.

I think the recruiting class being brought in may also play into it too. If he can show that he's getting the players to run Barbay's system, he may get some leeway even with a 3-9 season.
HE was the one that fired the entire offensive staff. Implementing the new offense wasn't something that he got stuck with. It's something he did. 5 or less he needs to go. This isn't a long term commitment from the university. You had your audition and he's blowing it. Time for a national search to find a real coach, not a guy that's "One of us"

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Well in all honesty I was saying we could win 9 but watching the last two games showed I was completely wrong. I feel like a moron for believing the babble they were spouting. Gonna tailor it around the playmaker. Please.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
HE was the one that fired the entire offensive staff. Implementing the new offense wasn't something that he got stuck with. It's something he did. 5 or less he needs to go. This isn't a long term commitment from the university. You had your audition and he's blowing it. Time for a national search to find a real coach, not a guy that's "One of us"
Is he really one of us ? Took him 5 minutes to name his favorite Skynyrd song. I mean seriously. Don't say you listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd and then stumble around naming a song.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Right, he’s not recruiting well either. he is pretty much a glorified interim with a small buyout based on his salary. I think Selmon can pull the plug pretty easily if he goes 4-8 or even 5-7.

His decision to fire the entire offensive staff is going to go down as a huge blunder. if he’s kept around for next years rebuild it’s going to snowball.

Aug 22, 2012
Is he really one of us ? Took him 5 minutes to name his favorite Skynrd song. I mean seriously. Don't say you listen to Lynrd Skynrd and then stumble around naming a song.
No he's not. It's just what a lot of our fans say when trying to justify hiring him. He was in no way ready for this job, and he wasn't a hot head coach candidate.

Reactions: blitz2Win

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Anything less than 6 games. No point in dragging this out and killing the program like we have in the past. Selmon should go ahead and start looking for a coach if we lose this week. Stuff is going to get realllll ugly real soon if things are fixed.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Is he really one of us ? Took him 5 minutes to name his favorite Skynyrd song. I mean seriously. Don't say you listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd and then stumble around naming a song.
I'm old enough to remember the original Lynyrd Skynyrd and I'm not sure I could immediately name a true favorite song because I like just about all of them.

Somehow I don't think that's a great criteria for determining "one of us".

and FWIW, I don't think he gets fired regardless of record. I think he'll be told to fix it or else next season.

Reactions: Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's the biggest issue to me. You have coaches getting fired after two years and you engage in a rebuild on offense unnecessarily?

This was our year to win and just like with SloMo, we pissed it away. But this time instead of our AD being a 17ing idiot it was our newly hired head coach. I get all coaches competitive for an SEC head coaching job are going to believe in themselves, but we needed an adult in the room to tell Arnett that no matter how smart he is, everybody else in the SEC is also getting millions of dollars to coach football and they're not idiots (the occasional Pruitt excepted). He already had an extremely tough transition and we shouldn't have given him the job without a viable plan for the offense that included winning this year.

This is the second peak year in a row we've thrown away because of somebody thinking they're that much smarter than everybody else. We're already at enough of a disadvantage. You can't **** on years that you have a chance to make hay because you're worried about 3 years down the line. We don't have 2018 talent this year, but we have a senior laden team that has already won 9 games the year before. Another 9 win season with the bowl should have been the goal. That is a great two year stretch for us that helps build the brand. If Arnett wasn't going to be required to try to win this year, then it was really 17ing stupid to hire him without a complete search.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Only if he lost the locker room and he won't. The Players love Arnett on both sides of the ball.
There is going to be a lot of questioning and soul searching, but they will stay committed.

The problem is the team is not very talented and it looks like Zach might not have the best OC or DC at this point.

I have watched the first half of the LSU game three times since Saturday evening (because I am a glutton for punishment). The OL and WR/TE and RBs whiffed on so many blocks - I mean like every damn play - looked to be a combination of not knowing who to hit or too damn scared to hit. In some cases it looked like they were spazing out.
If they didn't know the correct assignment that's a problem, but it sure looked like our guys were scared to block their guys or just couldn't get it done.

We'll get back on the winning track this weekend.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
To be clear, I'm not advocating or arguing one way or another and my answer has nothing to do with how I would personally handle it. My understanding of the question is about how bad would it have to get, realistically, for Selmon to pull the trigger on firing Arnett and bring in a new coaching staff. I, personally, think that threshold is going to be pretty high (or, rather, the team would need to sink pretty low) for that happen.

catvet

May 11, 2009
The one he has right now, because it's the only time this year we will be above .500. Outside of special teams, name on group or aspect of the team that is playing well. We made a mistake, but its not an expensive one to correct

Aug 22, 2012
The one he has right now, because it's the only time this year we will be above .500. Outside of special teams, name on group or aspect of the team that is playing well. We made a mistake, but its not an expensive one to correct
This is the right mindset. His contract terms suggest that he an an interim head coach.

The whole point in hiring him was to stabilize the team- Not completely blow it up.

Move on and do a head coaching search and find a guy with real credentials.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
It's going to be interesting to see how Arnett handles the hot seat. If he goes the way of JoMo with the kick rocks and pound sand BS, he's going to lose the fanbase quickly. It would be hard for him to survive that.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Selmon is on my **** list for not firing Lemonis. If he botches this football cluster, he should be gone. It’s obvious Arnett hated Leach’s system down to the core. Now we have no offense or defense. Anyone with a working brain knows Will is not a fit for Barbay’s system. Did Barbay tell Arnett I need a different QB before getting hired? Also, Arnett firing Leach’s staff earns criticism. Sitting here with a veteran team that may finish last in the SEC is grounds for dismissal.

Reactions: Muttley and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Losing record, which would include losing to USM and Ole Miss. Probably 3-9.

After thinking more about it, I do think he will find a way to get to 4-8 or 5-7. Even Croom eeked out some games he wasn't supposed to, and we have too much talent to just totally suck. So it really comes down to USM and Ole Miss embarrassing us.

We're probably stuck with them another year.

Reactions: patdog
Sep 15, 2009
The real irony here is that we promoted him bc we didn't want to lose him since our defense was so good. But he's not running the defense, so we lost our good defensive coordinator anyway, and gained a rookie head coach. Bonehead move.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The real irony here is that we promoted him bc we didn't want to lose him since our defense was so good. But he's not running the defense, so we lost our good defensive coordinator anyway, and gained a rookie head coach. Bonehead move.
It wasn’t like we had an awesome defense last year. They were pretty much middle of the pack. They were helped a great deal by the offense controlling time of possession. That’s not happening this year.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
He's a first time head coach implementing a completely new offensive system. He's going to get a lot of rope this season.
Um, he CHOSE to do that. It wasn't foisted upon him. That's a reason to let him go, not an excuse for poor performance.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Man, you guys are ready to throw in the towel on a guy who's gone 3-1 in four games as a HC, with his only loss coming to what's arguably a top 10 team** (I'm sort of kidding... but it has been bad).

He didn't want to continue with the air raid, and I fully support that decision. We were at best a middle of the road SEC offense even with the 17n air raid guru. Do people really think SS Jr or Hollingshead could have done better? Almost nobody wanted to continue with the AR long term without Leach. Was ZA supposed to continue with the 8th best SEC offense and maybe go 7-5 / 8-4 then fire the entire offensive staff before year two? If you're going to make that change, go ahead and make it.

The two major problems I see - 1) it's painfully obvious we struck out on the OC hire, and 2) Will is incapable of playing QB in this "offense"

I think ZA will make the decision to change QB soon - probably start Will this week, but we've got to switch to Wright quickly if it's not working. And that may be the last we see of Rogers if Wright provides any spark. Same with Barbay. If he can't put together some semblance of an offense within the next few games, he's gotta go and we need to be looking for our next OC before the season is over. I don't care so much about record because ZA was put in a tough job, but he needs to show he's capable of making these decisions if he wants year 2.

We are also way behind on defensive talent, but that falls on the head coach (Leach for the last 3 years) as much as anyone. It's on ZA now to recognize this and get more talent in here before next year. Got to get a few legit transfers.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Man, you guys are ready to throw in the towel on a guy who's gone 3-1 in four games as a HC, with his only loss coming to what's arguably a top 10 team** (I'm sort of kidding... but it has been bad).

He didn't want to continue with the air raid, and I fully support that decision. We were at best a middle of the road SEC offense even with the 17n air raid guru. Do people really think SS Jr or Hollingshead could have done better? Almost nobody wanted to continue with the AR long term without Leach. Was ZA supposed to continue with the 8th best SEC offense and maybe go 7-5 / 8-4 then fire the entire offensive staff before year two? If you're going to make that change, go ahead and make it.

The two major problems I see - 1) it's painfully obvious we struck out on the OC hire, and 2) Will is incapable of playing QB in this "offense"

I think ZA will make the decision to change QB soon - probably start Will this week, but we've got to switch to Wright quickly if it's not working. And that may be the last we see of Rogers if Wright provides any spark. Same with Barbay. If he can't put together some semblance of an offense within the next few games, he's gotta go and we need to be looking for our next OC before the season is over. I don't care so much about record because ZA was put in a tough job, but he needs to show he's capable of making these decisions if he wants year 2.

We are also way behind on defensive talent, but that falls on the head coach (Leach for the last 3 years) as much as anyone. It's on ZA now to recognize this and get more talent in here before next year. Got to get a few legit transfers.
I’m starting to think that he kept striking out with OCs because he was using Rogers as his pitch. The smart OCs did their homework and could tell that Rogers is limited to 3-8 yard, flat-footed throws behind 5 offensive tackles. The biggest mistake was what we all wanted. An OC who would adapt to the talent (Rogers) on the roster. Should’ve plugged Wright into Barbays system in the Spring, and let Rogers hold the clipboard.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It would take $3M/year for the remaining 3 years. Pony up $9M and let's go!

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It would be Keenum's call. A first year AD is not going to fire the guy his boss just hired unless he's instructed to.

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
honest question, what kind of coaching candidates would we get after firing our last 2 living coaches after 1 and 2 seasons? what big time coordinators are going to leave their schools for a program that will give you only 1, 2 years max to turn it around before you get fired? the only available former head coaches are only available because they were fired. im only asking, i have no answers.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
ZA will not be fired. We care more about our baseball and have allowed Lemon to keep us in the dumpster the past 2 years and he still has a job. Barbay is a goner if he doesn't figure out how to move the football in the SEC.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login