What say you now DowntownDawg and Storm? (Garrett)

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
(Why the change of mind?)
"It was hard. But I went down there for Junior Day, and they took us around and showed us the campus, academic center and football facilities, and I was really impressed. I met most of the coaches and something about the place just stuck with me. And I loved it when I went back a few weeks ago. I sat in on a quarterback meeting and was really impressed with the direction of the offense. I came back home, prayed about it and knew it was where I wanted to be."

straight from the horse's mouth

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Perhaps they said they'd tailor it to fit him when he takes over. I don't know. I still fail to see evidence that our offensive ineptness is what swayed him away. He mentions campus, the academic center, football facilities, and coaches all before he mentions offense. He also says "something about the place just stuck with me...I loved it when I went back a few weeks ago." I said yesterday that perhaps a new OC could have helped, I don't know. But I highly doubt hiring a new OC would have convinced him to sign with us. Look at all he says there. He loved their campus and their facilities on both visits. He didn't say he had a better chance of going pro if he went there or anything like that. You are reading into this what you will in order to back up your beliefs. Again, I'm not defending our offense or our OC - I'm sure you all know how I feel about our playcalling.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Stormrider81 said:
I still fail to see evidence that our offensive ineptness is what swayed him away. </p>

He was quoted in the paper specifically saying that was a factor. It probably wasn't the only factor, but it sure didn't help us. </p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
he specifically says it was a factor. I'm not saying its the only factor, but when asked why he changed, he mentions that specifically.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
....I'm just saying that it wasn't anywhere near the PRIMARY reason, and his quote is consistent with that. Way to highlight the portion of the quote that fits your argument, and ignore the other 3 or 4 lines that fits everybody else's. Spin much?

And judging by the poll below, 82% of people on this board think that it wasn't the primary reason, and this being the "negative" board among MSU fans, I'd be willing to wager that if you polled Swan Lake and Rivals, the percentage would be higher, which shows you how far out on the idiot fringe you are.

Again, there's nothing good about this situation, and I blame the coaches for not doing what they had to do to close the deal, but if your argument is that the primary reason that he is going to LSU is to play in a less conservative offense, well, that's just wrong (and stupid).

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
I believe that offense wasn't a big factor. Was it a factor? I don't know. How big was it? Again don't know. LSU having fast food joints on campus could have been a factor. I think the assumption that our crappy offense drove him away is premature given the fact that he committed knowing McCorvey was still our OC and that we were still running the same offense. He mentions their offense but he does so beneath comments about the campus, facilities and coaches. He remarks that he liked them on his first visit and he still liked them when he went again. It really sounds like he liked the whole package better in Baton Rouge, and I don't blame him.

What disturbs me the most is this board going into meltdown because we lost a QB to LSU. They just won a national title, had a QB go first in the draft, and have a far better program than us. Yet, when our commit drops us for them people act as if the world is ending, Croom did something wrong, and our offense is the cause of it all. I guarantee you if you approached a random SEC fan on the street and said a MSU commit at QB switched to LSU yesterday their first comment would not likely include "well, State is ranked below 100 in offense."

All that said, I'm now done with this subject.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login