What should have happened today

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Coaches released that need to be released before season end.

Meeting with the players.

Contact recruits before announcing to ensure them we are going to maintain a standard of play and still want them involved in that play.

Public announcement made.

Time's just about up for all that to have happened by now.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Contact recruits before announcing to ensure them we are going to maintain a standard of play and still want them involved in that play.

Assumes facts not in evidence. Everything you laid out assumes athletic leadership with the balls to act decisively.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

What does this gain us?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What does this gain us?
Allows us to begin contacting candidates today, not 12 or more days from today. It allows agents for coaches that haven't let their wishes to move on to begin contacting us today instead of 12 or more days from now. It allows a coach to potentially begin recruiting earlier, to hit portal transfers up earlier, to begin convincing existing players we want to keep not to leave instead of 12 or more days from now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Disagree, he is our best chance to beat USM. Fire after him after the USM game no matter win or lose.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
We will beat them easily.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Allows us to begin contacting candidates today, not 12 or more days from today. It allows agents for coaches that haven't let their wishes to move on to begin contacting us today instead of 12 or more days from now. It allows a coach to potentially begin recruiting earlier, to hit portal transfers up earlier, to begin convincing existing players we want to keep not to leave instead of 12 or more days from now.
We are already in that process. It doesn’t matter when we fire him publically.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s not happening yet. They have to “save face” and not look desperate... Even though we are.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Disagree, he is our best chance to beat USM. Fire after him after the USM game no matter win or lose.
Respectfully disagree. In the words of 8dog, "what does that gain us" ? I'd rather have a 12 day jump on bulldozing this program and starting over than beating a 3-7 6th place Sunbelt Conf team. If we beat them big deal we're supposed to. If we don't, who cares, everybody knows we're a train wreck and we show them we're rectifying the issues by getting a head start on rebuilding

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Possible that we've been placing feelers out there and the lack of interest has some folks puckering up....

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Possible that we've been placing feelers out there and the lack of interest has some folks puckering up....
It’s probable that we are working behind the scenes while we let Arnette publicly make it clear why we are making a move.

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We have likely been contacting candidates for weeks. There’s no requirement to fire the coach before you do that.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Not to mention giving a shot to donor/player confidence, two areas that are rotting as we speak

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That's a big assumption. Word gets out when you do, AD talks to one agent who talks to another and we've heard nothing but crickets chirping. If he has been contacting then that's supposed to mean it's not someone currently employed which means we could hire them tomorrow if we pull the trigger on ZA now

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Respectfully disagree. In the words of 8dog, "what does that gain us" ? I'd rather have a 12 day jump on bulldozing this program and starting over than beating a 3-7 6th place Sunbelt Conf team. If we beat them big deal we're supposed to. If we don't, who cares, everybody knows we're a train wreck and we show them we're rectifying the issues by getting a head start on rebuilding
I want to win every game, especially against a much lower level in state opponent. We know Arnett is getting fired no matter what, so I rather beat USM. I believe reaching out to agents is already happening.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It’s probable that we are working behind the scenes while we let Arnette publicly make it clear why we are making a move.
How much more clear does he have to make it? I would say we are well past “crystal” at this time

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
How much more clear does he have to make it? I would say we are well past “crystal” at this time
Makes it clear to the rest of the CFP world. It’s clear to us and the admin already. Again it’s not a huge deal. The only difference it makes is in egg bowl attendance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Studentdawg06

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's a big assumption. Word gets out when you do, AD talks to one agent who talks to another and we've heard nothing but crickets chirping. If he has been contacting then that's supposed to mean it's not someone currently employed which means we could hire them tomorrow if we pull the trigger on ZA now
Word won’t get out any further than it is supposed to. And even if it does, who cares?

Arnett knows he’s gone. Probably knew it when the clock hit zero last week against UK, and if somehow he didn’t then he damn sure knows it now. I can assure you he won’t be surprised or shocked if some Twitter cowboy beeaks something before its supposed to get out.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Even if we fire Arnett today (which we should), new coach won’t be named until December when his current season is done. Then we’d have weeks of our own fans whining & crying about ”why hasn’t the new coach been announced”; “what’s Selmon doing”; “it’s obvious no one is interested in our job.”

Reactions: MidsouthDawg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I want to win every game, especially against a much lower level in state opponent. We know Arnett is getting fired no matter what, so I rather beat USM. I believe reaching out to agents is already happening.
Do we now? There is still time for MState to MState it up

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login