What the hell are the Saints doing?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Their whole handling of the QB position since Brees retired has been questionable at best.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Someone much smarter than me on a saints board had a couple thoughts...

"Seems like this locks Taysom in for 2 more years and we avoid the automatic $9mm dead cap in 2022-23

Basically he’s on a real contract for his current salary for 2 years now, not all voidable

It’s an overpay but not really a big deal. Saves us money in the short term"

"Unless this new deal somehow counts for more against the cap than $9 million, this is fine. I’ve already accepted that Sean wants him on the team, if he’ll be a little cheaper, whatever."

DGB - saints talk forum

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Their whole handling of the QB position since Brees retired has been questionable at best.

Winston was 5-2 as a starter on very team friendly deal. Not sure what they could've done better considering the cap restrictions

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
I think they are trying to be cap-smart here with Hill. No doubt the Saints are in transition from Brees and other players. Hill suffered a brutal concussion earlier and is recovering from an ankle right now. He may retire if another concussion occurs. It's been a tough year and Payton looked defeated in the postgame yesterday.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login