What were we doing against Tennessee's press?...

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If I’m an opposing team I’m pressing every inbound against them. Gotta clean that up fast. Also the guards have got to stop picking up their dribble so much. That’s just asking for trouble and turnovers.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
If I’m an opposing team I’m pressing every inbound against them. Gotta clean that up fast. Also the guards have got to stop picking up their dribble so much. That’s just asking for trouble and turnovers.
Right, man I used to teach my 5 year old upwards players not to pick up their dribble.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I see that we had 18 TOs last night, but I swear that 11-12 of them had to be in the last 14 minutes. We were either getting trapped in a corner right after the inbound, the ball was getting poked away from behind, or we were flat out throwing the ball to them on the inbounds pass. It was awful, and even the tv guys kept saying that we had to stop moving the ball towards a baseline

The other thing I noticed is that while we were running our own full court press at times, we backed off as soon as the ball was inbounded. UT was keeping the pressure on the ball even after we got across half court, and there were numerous occasions where there were only 10-15 seconds left on the clock before we could get into anything resembling an offensive set.

Gotta give the Vols credit for incredible effort there, but like yall are saying, we need to spend the next few days cleaning that up

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
the in-bounder would then run up the floor and we'd throw it to the spot they were (underneath the goal) that was so painful to watch. So glad we got the W.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Picking up the dribble is a big issue. Also, our guards aren’t big or long so it’s hard to get them the ball on inbounds, especially against longer/athletic defenders. That’s why we throw it in to Cam and DJ a lot, more space for them to catch it and they can handle the ball up the court. However they can also turn it over just as easily.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not every press will be the UT press. In case y'all missed it, they are pretty dang good. We still better be working on it though, we will see it again.

Reactions: HRMSU

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
They were also playing risky and virtually giving a lay-up if we broke the press. That is also how you loosen up a press by putting a few bunnies in the hole. We did that a couple of times but not enough. I would imagine some coaching is going on in this area now.

But hey, they were a top 5 team. That press is one reason why. We overcame it and won the game! GO DOGS!

Reactions: TPIPER36
Aug 18, 2009
All of you complaining about our press break sucking can go 17 yourselves! *****

We haven't demonstrated any knowledge of how to, or ability to, beat a press in any game I've seen so far this year. When the ball goes through the hoop, instead of grabbing it and getting it in quickly before they can set up their press, we ... toss it to the ref and then wait on the defense to get set up. Then we toss it to the corner, and then just wait on the double team to get there before trying to do anything else with it. And when we do get it past the press, once we get into the half-court we have a tendency to have one of our guards dribble to one of the corners up top and once again wait for a double team to get there. All the while, no one ever thinks it might be a good idea to come back and help the ball handler that's gotten himself into some dumb trouble.

The press part is every damn time, while the half-court stuff seems to be when we are tired or lose focus. It's frustrating. Thankfully we played well enough otherwise to get a really good win.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
All of you complaining about our press break sucking can go 17 yourselves! *****

We haven't demonstrated any knowledge of how to, or ability to, beat a press in any game I've seen so far this year. When the ball goes through the hoop, instead of grabbing it and getting it in quickly before they can set up their press, we ... toss it to the ref and then wait on the defense to get set up. Then we toss it to the corner, and then just wait on the double team to get there before trying to do anything else with it. And when we do get it past the press, once we get into the half-court we have a tendency to have one of our guards dribble to one of the corners up top and once again wait for a double team to get there. All the while, no one ever thinks it might be a good idea to come back and help the ball handler that's gotten himself into some dumb trouble.

The press part is every damn time, while the half-court stuff seems to be when we are tired or lose focus. It's frustrating. Thankfully we played well enough otherwise to get a really good win.
Let's see. You tell everybody complaining about our press break sucking to 17 themselves and then proceed to complain about our press break sucking. Did you follow your own advice and...you know. I do see your sarcasterics though.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
It was sad how awful we looked. We were either out of position or throwing to a spot without looking to see if a guy was even there. Just pure panic set in

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Considering the number of turnovers, we were fortunate to win this game. Learning how to break the press should be of the highest priority in practice in these next few days.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Biggest problem , TN is long and big. So they run the press well. Maybe as good as anyone we will see.

Problem two, they gave us the corners. So we threw it there. But you have to pass out of the corner quick to avoid the double team. We did. But a few times our inbounder didnt wait for a pass to return. Our player took off up court. Wrong thing to do. We should Wait on the pass to return and then go. Either with the dribble or a pass to the open guy.

Reactions: stateu1

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
It appeared to me DJ was deliberately slowing the inbound process down to let everyone get a couple extra breaths due to fatigue.
I am sure we needed the extra seconds, but it contributed greatly to TN press being successful.
Coaching should have identified and told the team to speed up the inbounds play.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- I am amazed year after year that MSU cant handle a full press. It isnt an issue with this team, its an issue year after year regardless of players or even coach. Any team that can press should press against MSU at the first possession and not let up until 40 minutes later. Heck, they would only need to actually press for probably 25min of the game because they would be so far ahead by then that the game would be out of reach.

- Inbounding the ball into the corner is the death nail. Its the same for trapping a player in the corner against the sideline and half court line. Those 2 spots are known 'no go' zones when being aggressively defended, yet MSU went to both many times.

- Tennessee is a great team and their press was incredible. Not every team can do what they did. One player that isnt fast enough or isnt disciplined enough and the press breaks down quickly.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It seems that we are not good at setting screens and that hurts us on freeing up players on the press and getting Hubbard clean looks.

I'd like to see us run the swinging gate and make sure we don't get caught letting the paint dry.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We let them setup their D on every inbound and then we would pass to the corner.

Good win regardless but they got 10 easy points off that press and our turnovers.

One thing I noticed was that TN players were buying time by throwing the ball to the ref after the made baskets.

Smart. Gave them time to set up

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
We let them setup their D on every inbound and then we would pass to the corner.

Good win regardless but they got 10 easy points off that press and our turnovers.
It's hard to believe they survived all that.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I definitely don't want to play Tennessee again in the SECT or NCAAT. They are miserable to play against. Not many teams can defend like them and also have scorers that can light you up. Zeigler and Knecht are special.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Obviously I'm happy we won, and I love how much effort our guys put in. But I swear it looked like the other team running a press defense was news to our guys.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s was crazy. Couldn’t believe Jan’s didn’t call a time out & adjust. We survived though.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
death knell
Ha, I typed 'death nail' and said to myself 'that cant be right', but decided to keep it since it sorta works even if wrong. Genuine thanks for confirming it was incorrect.

Irregardless, I clearly have some deep seeded habits that I could of fixed, but havent because for all intensive purposes, I could care less. I bet you have been chomping at the bit while biding your time waiting to correct someone's grammar today.
^6 wrong here?

ETA- ha, I didnt even correctly count the errors that I intentionally made! There are 7.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Ha, I typed 'death nail' and said to myself 'that cant be right', but decided to keep it since it sorta works even if wrong. Genuine thanks for confirming it was incorrect.

Irregardless, I clearly have some deep seeded habits that I could of fixed, but havent because for all intensive purposes, I could care less. I bet you have been chomping at the bit while biding your time waiting to correct someone's grammar today.
^6 wrong here?

^6 wrong here?
It's what I do everyday.** Actually that was just one that I thought might help, because I got that one wrong forever before someone corrected me. Figured I could do it without pissing someone off too bad. But love your response - irregardless, intensive, care less, etc. Good stuff that probably went over the heads of most!

Reactions: mstateglfr

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Think it was Davis that picked his dribble up right past half court vs uSC. 2 point game at that point they trapped stole and ball game

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login