What would a new basketball arena have cost versus

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
the budget for renovation of The Hump? It will be interesting to see the finished product. Winning will bring back the exciting atmosphere we want. Years ago there was not a harder venue to play in than The Hump. There were 7-10k fans at every SEC game, and it was loud. Upgrading The Hump is a much more challenging project than the Dudy Noble project. I hope in the end we feel like we got our money’s worth.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I think the decision would be easier if we hadn’t built the Mize Pavilion just over a decade ago. I think there’s some hesitation to abandon that facility, which for all intents and purposes has been a good facility and is still in good shape.

If we there was no Mize Pavilion I think it’s more likely we’d be building a new arena.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Judging by the majority of the comments in the last thread about the renovation this might not be a popular opinion but I like that they’re renovating and not building a whole new arena. I just don’t see there being a benefit to spending an incredible amount of money for a new arena that 4500 people are going to come to games and sit in when you can simply renovate and have the same number of people attend. Spruce up what you have and add in new features.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I agree and I hope I'm not being "chicken little" when I say I have concerns about what college basketball will look like if all the curtains are pulled back and it becomes a 100% professional sport. I just don't know how well we'll compete and what the interest level will be if that happens.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. In true Mississippi State form, instead of building something that would give us more flexibility with the Hump, we built something that saddled us with a 50-year old facility for another 30 years.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
What's interesting to me in that article is that it mentions the Coleman Coliseum renovation estimate to be $150M, so there wasn't some massive difference in cost for Bama.

The Hump is a tough one for me because I have some really special memories of that place, so there's a part of me that would like to keep what we can from it. However, there's another part of me that feels like this is yet another example where we're willingly letting the rest of the conference pass us by in men's basketball.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
There really isn’t anything “wrong” or it’s the arena/seating of The Hump. The problem is concourse, restrooms and concessions, which is 90% of the proposed renovation. As another poster mentioned, Mize is there and still in great shape, and when it opened is what really exposed the age of the Hump. 1978 meet the 2000s. They are putting in premium seating (which will pay for the renovation) but the size, shape and sight lines of the arena are good and will remain good. Coleman, Tad Smith and Beard Eaves do/did not have that luxury, hence why it made sense for them to build all new facilities.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
It’s not just MSU where crowds are going down. The three new arenas built in the SEC are all smaller than the facilities they replaced or will replace. SEC Network has cut the number of in person attendees.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
However, there's another part of me that feels like this is yet another example where we're willingly letting the rest of the conference pass us by in men's basketball.

This is unfortunately how I feel also. I just don’t think our administration cares about Men’s basketball. They killed the atmosphere and fan engagement in the hump for mens basketball over a decade ago and have attempted nothing to try and bring it back.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
According to a wtva report last year, the "renovation" will cost $50 million.

....and by renovation State means adding a club level and fancy entrance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login