What's best cell service in MS?

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Besides AT&T

Best can be coverage, price, customer service, etc.

They have gone nuts. Nearly 20 years with them and they can't get my charges correct. My bill has doubled in the past couple months and they will not accept responsibility. 1 phone and it's now $250.

Travel: mostly MS, with the exception of a vacation, and for work, Slidell, all of MS, and about to open in west Bama. Mainly the Southeast for future travel plans.

Last edited:

catvet

May 11, 2009
Besides AT&T

They have gone nuts. Nearly 20 years with them and they can't get my charges correct. My bill has doubled in the past couple months and they will not accept responsibility. 1 phone and it's now $250.

If you l8ve in town or mainly travel around the major highways, it doesn't matter. If you have to travel in all areas of the state including rural areas:

AT&T
Verizon
TMobile
CSpire

In that order

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I had 4 phones w/ CSpire for about 13 years. They got progressively worse. EVERY time one of us went out of state we always had to call customer service from another phone and let them go through a list of possibilities before the phones would work. New Orleans, Atlanta, New York, didn't matter the phones wouldn't work when we got there. Also began having dropped calls in MS so I got tired of it and went to AT&T about 8 years ago and have 5 phones on it now and no issues. Never had to call customer service for anything. The bill may vary a couple bucks every month but that's it. Last Fall I noticed a price difference and they had switched me to a plan w/ a little more data for less money. My first thought was they had started a contract, but hadn't. Game days on campus data seems to be lacking but not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago. 2 of the phones went out of the country recently and both got automatic notices that they were being placed on the $10/day international plan for first one and $5 for the other one because they forgot to do it before leaving. I have co-workers that constantly groan about T-Mobile and recently one has started complaining about Verizon w/ no coverage in our building on campus. That's just my experiences for what its worth.

triton28

Dec 18, 2009
Straight talk at wal mart has been great for me for four years. I pay $55.00 a month for unlimited and my service is much faster than when I was with cspire. Phones are cheaper too. You can transfer your number.

engie

May 29, 2011
C Spire. The rest is ****.

Sure, if you like watching the internet load for 5 minutes while showing 2 bars of LTE(lying to you)...

This past year I picked up a side hustle reselling a Walmart store item on the web at a nice markup which led me to probably 80% of MS Walmarts and down all of the backroads connecting them. I switched from CSpire to Verizon in the middle of that timeframe and ported my current device. It was a night and day improvement in the vast majority of locations. CSpire might work great for texting and calling, but their data service is crap. 9 of 10 times AT&T and Verizon will smoke it, regardless of how many bars they show at the top.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I have AT&T for my work phone and Verizon for personal. 10 years ago Verizon seemed to have a lot more coverage in MS and LA. Nowadays my AT&T phone typically has a lot better service than the verizon.

Mafiadawg

Nov 5, 2013
I wanted to stay with cspire to support local but damn it’s terrible. Verizon is 100 times more reliable in all aspects.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
These conversations are always based on 100% bias of the phone you have in your hand. Never based on actual coverage. You'll still believe when you don't have coverage and when your bill goes up that you made the best decision. Because you're never wrong. And you'll only listen to people that confirm what you think. And you believe advertising of the company you send your bill to.

Please keep sharing your own horse ****. It's smelling like flowers to you and those that are on the same horse. 🐴💩

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
We switched to T-mobile in the fall from Verizon.
We are looking at switching back to Verizon or going with C-Spire- this thread makes me think C-spire should not be an option.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Same here. 80% of the time CSpire is fine. But then there's those random times that a webpage takes minutes to load for no apparent reason, or a call gets dropped for no apparent reason. CSpire is the cheapest for me, but it looks like I can switch to a comparable plan with AT&T for about $10/month more. I think I'm about ready to do it. Anyone know if my CSpire iPhone 11 is easy to switch to AT&T?

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Depends on where you are. I have att, verizon, cspire for all of our company phones and it just depends on where everyone is based out of. Do you have a specific area or two that matters?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Besides AT&T

Not T-Mobile, that's for damn sure.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
17 Cspire. 17 em with a rusty cast iron ***** with metal slivers. I can literally map the state line with my phone signal and service in state is spotty and unpredictable. I can be at my house and sometimes get 5-10mbps download and two minutes later I can't even pull 1mbps. 99% of the time I'm closer to the 1 than the 5 or 10. Pain in the *** trying to live stream a storm chase when I can't get the signal to push it.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

I'm in the wireless business on the technical/engineering side....these are good maps. Obviously leaves CSpire out, and just because one of them shows coverage in a place doesn't mean it's going to be quality coverage, but these maps do a decent job of showing where the companies are TRYING to cover. These are maps submitted by the carriers using their predictive tools, and it probably reflects coverage standing outside on a clear day, but still, fairly representative. (PS you can really see why TMO sucks....not that they don't have sites out there, they just can't cover for **** with the spectrum they have.)

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Our bill with them was never the same. Customer service was always awful.

C spire was great until I was out of state for work and needing my data. Data service got back seat and became non existent even in big cities. That was 9 years ago.

Verizon has been expensive but my bill is consistent snd my coverage all across the country has been good unless I'm in some weird whole. Their customer service has always been pretty good too. I also just got like 900 in credit for each phone I just upgraded to get brand new iPhones. Was cheaper than what I was previously paying for phones.

Would say cspire if you stay in ms. If you travel at all Verizon.

I've been with Verizon 9 years total. Always same bill with detailed explanation. I know what it is when I upgrade.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Either ATT or Verizon. In my experience Verizon is a little better. Still both carriers have dead spots. Highway 350 in extreme north Tishomingo/Alcorn County is completely dead until you get either close to Corinth or close to Hwy. 25.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
Same here. 80% of the time CSpire is fine. But then there's those random times that a webpage takes minutes to load for no apparent reason, or a call gets dropped for no apparent reason. CSpire is the cheapest for me, but it looks like I can switch to a comparable plan with AT&T for about $10/month more. I think I'm about ready to do it. Anyone know if my CSpire iPhone 11 is easy to switch to AT&T?

CSpire uses CDMA technology and AT&T uses GSM technology so using a phone from one to the other isn't compatible. You have to use a SIM Card for AT&T. I had a S10 phone through CSpire and it wouldn't work with AT&T. I traded it in an supposedly got credits in the amounts of $800 for my phone and $200 for porting my number and I got the IPhone 13 Pro which the credits are supposed to pay for over a 36 month period.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Moved from Texas to Ocean Springs last month with my T-Mobile phone. Service has been spotty quite often. I complained at the local T-Mobile store and they were told that T-Mobile is in the process of upgrading their network on the coast. Should see a big improvement in the next 3-6 months. I'll believe it when I see it. When I got my device the T-Mobile guy said that my cell phone would be free, well I found out that the phone cost is being amortized within my rate plan and if I cancel my 24 month plan they would charge the non-amortized portion back to my account. From my experience all wireless companies are crooks.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I've always had good service almost everywhere with cspire (in state). I mean the occasional spot here or there but mostly good. Not as good as friends with AT&T though.

But price for them is really good especially if you are combining lines with family members (wife, kids, etc.). I let my mom hook up on my account and unlimited everything was around $150. For a third person, it was $180 ish after taxes and fees. With 4 people i think it was like $55 a line.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
It all depends on where you live and work. East Central MS, Cspire then ATT, other two blow balls. If you work and live in rural MS, Cspire and ATT are really the only choices.

In Jackson, the coast, desoto, get Verizon. Pretty simple.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
CSpire uses CDMA technology and AT&T uses GSM technology so using a phone from one to the other isn't compatible. You have to use a SIM Card for AT&T. I had a S10 phone through CSpire and it wouldn't work with AT&T. I traded it in an supposedly got credits in the amounts of $800 for my phone and $200 for porting my number and I got the IPhone 13 Pro which the credits are supposed to pay for over a 36 month period.

This would have been an accurate statement in 2008. Not so much now.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Has anyone tried Xfinity's phone service? I've been with Cspire for about 12 years but I think I'm going to finally make the plunge to another carrier.

The only reason I have stayed with Cspire is I pay $120 for unlimited everything for 2 phones and I am grandfathered in to receive 2 year contract pricing. So I usually trade in my old phone for the 2nd newest iphone for $0.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Doesn't the SIM card control everything? I thought now any phone works if you switch carriers in every situation.

That's my understanding, basically everybody's on the same LTE-based technology now, but I think the physical SIM card may even have gone away now with the newest generation of phones.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Visible. $25 a month and I can do just about everything I want. Unlimited everything. Slow at times sure. But most of these carriers have dead spots. I’ve been with att, cricket, and xfinity in last 3 years. Visible has by far been best overall. I can also add my Apple Watch for $5. It’s insane that people pay $100 a month for same service. My wife has Verizon (work phone) and there is no difference. She has dead spots where I don’t and vice versa.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's a good deal 2 phones for 120. How good has your days been while traveling?

Verizon unlimited for two phones base is 140. We are a step up with 160 plus phone charges and addiction fees for insurance etc. it's just north of 200.

I have an old room mate that has xfinity and says he likes it's. Says it's cheap and data works off Verizon towers

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I wanted to stay with cspire to support local but damn it’s terrible. Verizon is 100 times more reliable in all aspects.

Same. Stuck with cspire for years while it steadily got worse and worse. I finally switched to Verizon a couple of years ago and it is all around better.

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
This would have been an accurate statement in 2008. Not so much now.

I didn't have a SIM card with CSpire so my phone would not transfer to AT&T and now with AT&T i have a SIM card. CSpire uses 3G CDMA, 4G LTE, and 5G NR networks. I had a Galaxy S10 and could not transfer my phone to AT&T. Maybe the newer phones on CSpire have SIM cards? I don't know on that.

Last edited:

engie

May 29, 2011
I didn't have a SIM card with CSpire so my phone would not transfer to AT&T and now with AT&T i have a SIM card. CSpire uses 3G CDMA, 4G LTE, and 5G NR networks. I had a Galaxy S10 and could not transfer my phone to AT&T. Maybe the newer phones on CSpire have SIM cards? I don't know on that.

My former cSpire Iphone XS Max had a sim card and transferred seamlessly to Verizon.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login