What's going on in the Starkville area tonight?

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
We know the Hump is gonna be empty as fck so must be a ton of other ******* awesome **** going on in Starkville tonight once again.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We know the Hump is gonna be empty as fck so must be a ton of other ******* awesome **** going on in Starkville tonight once again.
I’m guessing you aren’t there.

Always been fascinated by you out of staters who judge the locals.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
What's fascinating about it? College students aren't lifetime residents.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Oh so we shouldn't bring attention to our massive disadvantage in lack of home field advantage cause the people that live super close that are not attending already also won't like that. Gotcha. Good luck with that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So only people who live super close should attend?

Maybe everyone is being responsible and social distancing during this crisis.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
I love Starkville. Just wondering why nobody is going to the basketball games for the last decade straight? Tuesday baseball in April vs South Alabama in 40 degree weather outdraws our home SEC basketball games. That's ****** up and it's also ****** up others expect us to not bring attention to it. Decade long now.

Aug 24, 2012
Dawg61 where the F$ck were you?
Put your *** in a seat then complain.
You’re part of the keyboard hypocrisy problem

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I love Starkville. Just wondering why nobody is going to the basketball games for the last decade straight? Tuesday baseball in April vs South Alabama in 40 degree weather outdraws our home SEC basketball games. That's ****** up and it's also ****** up others expect us to not bring attention to it. Decade long now.

Have you watched our team over the last decade? Women’s team didn’t have this problem.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I didn't go for a few reasons.

Kids were at church so wife and I had date night. Went all out and ate at China Garden.

The last time I went to a game it pissed me off to have to park damn near out of sight of the Hump just to walk past parking lot after parking lot that had maybe 4 cars in them that were blocked off because they are bulldog club and reserved when they all know good and well they weren't showing up.

The cups stink and the pretzels are hard.

I just didn't want to go.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I don't pretend to have the solution, but it is amazing how far we have fallen in attendance/interest in men's basketball.

January 2012:
7,588 reported attendance* on Thursday, January 12, 2012 (beat Tennessee).
9,539 reported attendance two days later (Saturday, beat Alabama).
9,925 reported attendance at the next home game (Wednesday, beat LSU).

We reported 10k+ multiple times later that year.

*-I realize there were probably fewer people in seats. For comparison the reported attendance tonight was 5,973.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Same. I loved the look of horror on sorority girls faces when they realized the comedic stylings were going to be more like Lisa Lampanelli and not Jerry Clower.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Probably not much going on but what does that say about the perception of our MBB program when people don't find it worth their time attending when there is nothing else competing with it? Attendance at midweek games is largely dependent on getting locals there. For locals, MSU sports are not special events but they have over and over proven that they will support a winner or even a team that plays with effort and competes hard. That is why you have baseball crowds there. That is why WBB had no problem getting people there until vic left. Its why you had more people at womens VB games at the end of the season than MBB.

MBB has gotten better but still has a couple of problems. Their play on offense often makes one want to gouge their eyeballs out and just cannot sustain any momentum without crapping the bed against bad teams.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I live "super close" to campus, less than 10 minutes. You have made your own point not even trying. I'm a local, I haven't missed a home baseball game in 6 years no matter what day of the week it is or what the weather is. I go and support a winning, successful, bunch of kids that lay it out there and leave it out there every time they go on the field. It's entertaining, consistently competitive, and the players hate to lose.

I wouldn't accept a free limo ride w/ free court side seats and free beer to sit and watch a men's basketball game. Those teams and coaches as a whole for the last decade haven't given a damn whether they won or lost, but you think the fans should? Those teams aren't consistently competitive, or entertaining and don't care if they lose. Think back to Lamar Peters oversleeping and missing a damn game, that epitomizes our men's program

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We play hard and are extremely competitive in baseball.

Our men’s basketball team isn’t fun to watch, they don’t always play hard and rarely smart. And the atmosphere isn’t fun.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I'll never forget sitting front and center when Jeff Dunham was there many years ago. When he pulled out Walter at the first of his act most people were ignoring him. Who wants to watch a ventriloquist anyway? It didn't take long for that to change. By the time he left the stage my face and abs were hurting from laughing so much.

Comedy night at Cheers.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Oh so we shouldn't bring attention to our massive disadvantage in lack of home field advantage cause the people that live super close that are not attending already also won't like that. Gotcha. Good luck with that.

MSU took the seats away from the locals years ago and fired the all-time winningest Coach in MSU history and replaced Him with the third assistant from Clemson--plus we are in the middle of a pandemic.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I didn't go for a few reasons.

Kids were at church so wife and I had date night. Went all out and ate at China Garden.

The last time I went to a game it pissed me off to have to park damn near out of sight of the Hump just to walk past parking lot after parking lot that had maybe 4 cars in them that were blocked off because they are bulldog club and reserved when they all know good and well they weren't showing up.

The cups stink and the pretzels are hard.

I just didn't want to go.

Exactly.

The reason a person chooses not to attend a basketball game: because he/she doesn't want to go. That person doesn't owe anybody any further explanation. That's his/her own personal business. Many people have other things going on and don't want to sacrifice their time/money to watch a basketball game.

I find it interesting that some posters here complain about the empty seats for basketball games . . . when they don't even go to the games themselves. WTF?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
One group we can all unite and be mad at - students. Their tickets are free (or really cheap if not still free) and they make the atmosphere and do not have to travel.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If we are winning, when this Omicron thingy dies down, we'll have better crowds. What's complicated about that ?

Aug 22, 2012
We play hard and are extremely competitive in baseball.

Our men’s basketball team isn’t fun to watch, they don’t always play hard and rarely smart. And the atmosphere isn’t fun.

"Don't always play hard" = They don't win every game.

State fans don't like our basketball team and will not attend unless we are good (See Women's basketball) . But will still complain about the team they supposedly don't care about when we lose.

Where'sWaldo

Sep 24, 2012
If we are winning, when this Omicron thingy dies down, we'll have better crowds. What's complicated about that ?

The students are out of town so that didn't help but the reality of the situation lies in the theme of this thread. Even the most loyal MSU basketball fans have reached the point of apathy. Howland is old and doesn't create any energy within the program and his players reflect his personality. The team plays hard but they aren't consistent in their energy levels from game to game. Energy and effort are different things. It is impossible to be excited about our basketball program and it would take a miracle to start to get the mojo back without hiring a new coach.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
We are the dumbest basketball fanbase in the country.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
They flat looked like they didn't give a **** against OM the other night. I haven't even bothered to watch since.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t think you are gonna find me complaining abt losses recently. I’m apathetic.

By lack of effort, I mean coaches to players. Turnovers, missed free throws, no defense, jacking up 3s, etc.

I’ve seen lots of games across msu sports where we play hard and lose and I’m still a fan and proud of the effort. That hasn’t happened in bball a lot lately.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah clearly the people there don’t care abt others. They are selfish and want everyone to die.

If you weren’t there, you love all people and are taking this pandemic seriously.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Not that it matters to any of you Debbie Downers but we did WIN by 16 points despite the lack of a crowd. Maybe the crowd is a distraction to our players.*******

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Your take is as bad as his.

It was time for stans.

Yes reseating hurt some but we had crowds after that. They have to fight for revenue. You can’t not get revenue that’s out there.

The locals had a chance to buy the tickets but they didn’t pony up.

Last edited:

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
This team is making a case to be a NCAAT team on Saturday. Time for the fanbase to act like it. Instead we act as if we are bottom of the league

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Nickel Beer Night. $1 You Call It Night. Ladies Night. Etc. Etc.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
"Don't always play hard" = They don't win every game.

State fans don't like our basketball team and will not attend unless we are nationally elite (See Women's basketball) . But will still complain about the team they supposedly don't care about when we lose.

Fixed it for you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login