What's the infatuation with OM by Delta State graduates?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I'm shocked that the descendants of plantation owners would support the Rebels. Shocked, I say****

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You know, I don't know a single DSU graduate or maybe I do and just assumed that they were Rebels.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know several folks who graduated from DSU (having no connection with Ole Miss) and you'd think they are 4th generation rebel legacies with triple PhDs. Anyone else notice this?
Eh. They do have D1 schools they support.

Many are Ole Miss fans because of proximity but I also know DSU / MSU and DSU / Southern Miss folks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Southern Miss?
Delta State and Southern Miss both started as teachers’ schools.

Not unusual at all to see teachers with an undergrad from one school and a master’s from another.

Edit to add: Given DSU’s budget woes now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more DSU alums go to Southern Miss for masters.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Delta State and Southern Miss both started as teachers’ schools.

Not unusual at all to see teachers with an undergrad from one school and a master’s from another.

Edit to add: Given DSU’s budget woes now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more DSU alums go to Southern Miss for masters.
No, I didn't realize USM had fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ole Miss has deep roots in the Delta. For a lot of reasons.

And most FCS/D2 graduates are a fan of some P5 team, that’s not a big stretch.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I know State grad who is a Ole miss fan. I know MC grads who are Miss State fans and there are a ton of ULL, ULM, Tulane, LA Tech grads who are LSU fans. I guess they grew up fans of those schools but one reason or another had to attend another school.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You know, I don't know a single DSU graduate or maybe I do and just assumed that they were Rebels.
My daughter and her husband both got their undergrad degrees at DSU and my daughter even got her master's from Ole Miss. She is not a fan of OM. Her stance was, I didn't know why I didn't like Ole Miss until I went there. She hated the place but they offered a degree in her field, State does not and it was located close enough to her husbands job.

They both are State fans first.

Last edited:

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
It really is an odd dynamic with OM. On one hand, they have a racially charged past that is well documented. Yet on the other hand, they are far and away the most liberal institution in the state sans Milsaps. Also, I have noticed that I see WAY more african americans wearing OM gear at the grocery store, restaurants etc in the Jackson metro area than I used to. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's that was an extremely rare occurrence. It was either HBCU or State shirts and hats that I would see around town.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Very good friend of mine, who is UM alum, sent his daughter to Delta St because he didn't like the culture there for his daughter. He is from a deeply rooted family of UM people.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login