What's wrong with you clowns

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Tom Herman, Gus Malzahn, and Clay Helton were fired for being mediocre at top tier football school with massive resources.

Now they are all mediocre at small budget schools.

Why on earth do you think they would be anything more than mediocre at Mississippi State?

Go hire a small school coach who wins or a dynamic coordinator. Leave the mediocrity in the past.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Tom Herman, Gus Malzahn, and Clay Helton were fired for being mediocre at top tier football school with massive resources.

Why on earth do you think they would be anything more than mediocre at Mississippi State?

Go hire a small school coach who wins or a dynamic coordinator. Leave the mediocrity in the past.

Herman is not like the others there. He beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, had a down year, then was fired in the weird covid year. He’s a no-brainer to me if we could get him.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Clay Helton was better than who he replaced and as good as who replaced him. Helton/Herman are fairly young and it is safe to say they learned and will improve. That experience was invaluable. Plus all three dealt with inside distractions that are 100x worse than anything a coach here would ever have to deal with.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
Its already been said buy TH's firing was NOTHING like the other two.

He would be the best hire we could get right now.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
Clay Helton was better than who he replaced and as good as who replaced him. Helton/Herman are fairly young and it is safe to say they learned and will improve. That experience was invaluable. Plus all three dealt with inside distractions that are 100x worse than anything a coach here would ever have to deal with.
Either of those would be a very good hire. Probably the best we could make. I don’t know what the fascination with Malzahn is. He’d be a good hire too, but no way he’d leave that $5.5M salary & easier path to the playoffs ti come here.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It doesn’t matter how big the school they coach at. It’s what kind of program they have built. A Big name is fine if they run their program like a CEO so you can see the potential in their new business.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Herman is not like the others there. He beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, had a down year, then was fired in the weird covid year. He’s a no-brainer to me if we could get him.
Herman beat a deflated UGA team that DGAF after epically choking away the SEC title away to Bama, and finishing 5th in the final CFP rankings. Pretty big * by that game.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

We hired a dynamic coordinator in JoeMo. Didn’t work.

Florida hired a G5 winner in Napier.
Auburn hired a G5 winner in Harsin.
TAMU hired a G5 winner in Sumlin.
Nebraska hired a G5 winner in Frost.
Tennessee hired a G5 winner in Butch Jones.

Texas Tech hired dynamic OC Kingsbury.
Maryland hired Bama OC Locksley.
Baylor hired LSU DC Dave Arranda.

There is no silver bullet. “Just hire a good G5 HC or stud coordinator” is a tired take. Nothing is obvious, a lot goes in to success/failure.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It’s a pretty simple flow chart for me:

Step 1) Can we hire a system coach who has proven, like Leach, that they can punch way above their weight class against top competition? If yes, hire them. If no, go on to Step 2. (Spoiler alert: we can’t hire them….there is no one).

Step 2) Interview candidates. By far the most important part of the interview is figuring out their NIL plan. The entire program has to be built around that going forward. If their plan is “I’m going to raise our NIL funding by XYZ% every year by engaging with donors, etc” then kindly tell them to 17 off, because that crap won’t happen, and wouldn’t work even if it did.

Whoever we hire has to know our limitations and how to get around them. One way to do it is they themselves take a lower starting salary so we can use that extra money for players. Another way is to actually strategize where to go all out. Somebody may say “just get me my QB and I’ll figure everything else out”. Somebody may say, “Spend big in the portal on proven players, that keeps us from ever really missing on a recruit”. Somebody may say “get me 2 elite DT’s per year to build my D around, I’ll figure everything else out”. These are all viable plans. But there has to BE a plan for NIL, one that is known on the front end by the coach, AD, and boosters, and that everyone is on the same page in executing. Pick whoever has the best one. I don’t care what their name is, or if they win the press conference.

Hire the coach that knows more than anyone else that coaches are overrated, and players win games. Its that simple.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Either of those would be a very good hire. Probably the best we could make. I don’t know what the fascination with Malzahn is. He’d be a good hire too, but no way he’d leave that $5.5M salary & easier path to the playoffs ti come here.
Other than goat, I dont see too many fascinated with him

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
It’s a pretty simple flow chart for me:

Step 1) Can we hire a system coach who has proven, like Leach, that they can punch way above their weight class against top competition? If yes, hire them. If no, go on to Step 2. (Spoiler alert: we can’t hire them….there is no one).

Step 2) Interview candidates. By far the most important part of the interview is figuring out their NIL plan. The entire program has to be built around that going forward. If their plan is “I’m going to raise our NIL funding by XYZ% every year by engaging with donors, etc” then kindly tell them to 17 off, because that crap won’t happen, and wouldn’t work even if it did.

Whoever we hire has to know our limitations and how to get around them. One way to do it is they themselves take a lower starting salary so we can use that extra money for players. Another way is to actually strategize where to go all out. Somebody may say “just get me my QB and I’ll figure everything else out”. Somebody may say, “Spend big in the portal on proven players, that keeps us from ever really missing on a recruit”. Somebody may say “get me 2 elite DT’s per year to build my D around, I’ll figure everything else out”. These are all viable plans. But there has to BE a plan for NIL, one that is known on the front end by the coach, AD, and boosters, and that everyone is on the same page in executing. Pick whoever has the best one. I don’t care what their name is, or if they win the press conference.

Hire the coach that knows more than anyone else that coaches are overrated, and players win games. Its that simple.
It's 1. Bob MF'n Stoops

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login