When do yall start to worry if we don’t have a coach named?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think some of yall aren’t accounting for the fact that a number of our candidates could be involved in conference championships, which aren’t until Dec. 2nd. If our guy is playing in one of those, I would be floored if we announce beforehand.

If we make the hire the week after the Egg Bowl, it likely won’t be anyone still playing on Dec. 2nd.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
December 10th

If we are pursuing Chadwell, Sumrall, Traylor or a coordinator at UGA / Washington / Oklahoma then I would suspect they may not want to finalize a deal until after their conference championship game.

That puts them coaching the weekend of Dec 2. If we don’t have a deal finalized with someone by the next weekend, then something is wrong.

patdog

May 28, 2007
December 10th

If we are pursuing Chadwell, Sumrall, Traylor or a coordinator at UGA / Washington / Oklahoma then I would suspect they may not want to finalize a deal until after their conference championship game.

That puts them coaching the weekend of Dec 2. If we don’t have a deal finalized with someone by the next weekend, then something is wrong.
Exactly.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I won’t be worried if we don’t have a new coach by Tuesday but I will definitely be let down.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mine would be Tuesday after Egg Bowl. Maybe even Monday.
That Monday. If we don’t have one named Monday, it means at best we’re having trouble hammering out terms with one of our top targets. More likely, it would mean we are having to move further down our list than expected.

ETA: I guess if we are hiring a head coach that’s in a conference championship game, we can have a deal in place and not announce it. But I won’t be optimistic that’s the case.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m not worrying because the hiring process is something I can’t control.

With that said, it’s safe to say that MSU would rather hire someone sooner than later (and that’s not an intentional Lebby, Selmon, or even Stoops reference— as far as you know).

I’ll agree that if an announcement is made quickly, it’s because the coach doesn’t have a game to prepare for the following week.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think some of yall aren’t accounting for the fact that a number of our candidates could be involved in conference championships, which aren’t until Dec. 2nd. If our guy is playing in one of those, I would be floored if we announce beforehand.

If we make the hire the week after the Egg Bowl, it likely won’t be anyone still playing on Dec. 2nd.
If its a sitting head coach, no, it wouldn’t get announced until after the conference championships if they were a participant.

Coordinator though? It will come out much quicker. Example - if it’s Lebby, it will be out after the Egg Bowl at some point. Maybe Saturday but maybe not till Sunday or Monday. I’d still fully expect him to coach against Texas in the Big XII title game, but he’d still be working the phone lines and the recruiting trail for us that week beforehand, which is typical.

Reactions: Captain Ron

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
If it's a sitting head coach then Dec. 3, if it was just a position coach it would have already been announced.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When we hear the good ones turned us down and start hearing names that have never been more than a position coach.
That is the most likely scenario since that's the way it's gone in recent memory with exception of Don Merlinz

Cow College

Aug 21, 2012
I’d worry a couple days after conference championship games. Hopefully our coach is coaching in one

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login