When Stephen A Smith is against you

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean he’s pressing
Wisconsin coach has his scrubs in

What’s the difference in pressing down 15 against the scrubs and calling timeout?

You are both trying to get better. Good for both coaches.

One coach tries to explain. The other is a big ole 17ing *****.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Gard should’ve just let him walk on past. He knew he was pissed. No reason to try and stop him. If he wanted to explain the timeout, he could have talked to him later when everyone had calmed down. Absolutely nothing good could come from him grabbing Howard’s arm like they. Having said that, there is no excuse for Howard to swing on a guy and he should be suspended the rest of the season at minimum. But I think a one game suspension for Gard would be satisfactory.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I mean he’s pressing
Wisconsin coach has his scrubs in

What’s the difference in pressing down 15 against the scrubs and calling timeout?

You are both trying to get better. Good for both coaches.

One coach tries to explain. The other is a big ole 17ing *****.
Yea, I think there are legitimate arguments about what to do in blowouts as the winning team. If you're Nolan Richardson, I am sympathetic to the argument that you are a 40 minutes of hell team, and that's your backups opportunity to get better running the defense they need to play to get meaningful playing time. But I also get the argument that if the team that is down puts the scrubs in, it's time to just play half court D and let the game end. But if you are down and pressing even after you can't win, you can't get mad at the winning coach for not leaving his backups out their to flail around against the press.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
What a disgrace. Reprehensible behavior. Unconscionable. Outrageous. Inexcusable. A crime against humanity. Juwan needs to spend 10 minutes in time out and write an essay where he acknowledges how bad his behavior was. Or maybe we should have never let the opinions of college educated women shame us into thinking this is anything other than no big deal.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Ok fine and Juan should have just let him talk and then keep walking or just keep walking even after he tried to stop him. Both are pretty simple things to do.

Juan Howard overreacted and acted like a fool. End of story.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And the thing is, he left the backups in after the timeout right? He just did some coaching on how to break the press.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can go along with this, but there are two sets of standards now. Be consistent in all scenarios. Either getting fired up is ok or its not ok. Pick 1 and be consistent.

But Juan Howard reaching over with the slap is probably not acceptable in any scenario ever. 100 years ago it wasn't acceptable. It might have happened but it was a story then too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And the thing is, he left the backups in after the timeout right? He just did some coaching on how to break the press.

Yes. The "leaving them out there" phrase was confusing. He did keep them on the court. I just meant he didn't hang them out to dry and let them struggle against a press with no coaching. He called a timeout, (presumably) gave the backups some instruction, and let them go try to break the press.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login