When the next round of TV contracts destroy college football

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
and we go to a 24-32 team College Football Alliance, I think this will be an interesting discussion if it continues.

Ohio State typically dominates TV viewers. They had 60 million last year to lead the nation and set an all-time record. 8 of their 12 regular season games had over 4 million views, which is considered elite.

Through four games, Colorado has 35 million views and are expected to get 10 million this week in their Noon kickoff against USC. They are going to destroy Ohio State's record.

Colorado is playing to be included in the next round. Ive never seen anything like it.

STATEBALLIN

Aug 23, 2012
Prime is fresh. People are intrigued but the new will likely wear off in time. Until then, I’m enjoying the show myself.

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
and we go to a 24-32 team College Football Alliance, I think this will be an interesting discussion if it continues.

Ohio State typically dominates TV viewers. They had 60 million last year to lead the nation and set an all-time record. 8 of their 12 regular season games had over 4 million views, which is considered elite.

Through four games, Colorado has 35 million views and are expected to get 10 million this week in their Noon kickoff against USC. They are going to destroy Ohio State's record.

Colorado is playing to be included in the next round. Ive never seen anything like it.
Colorado’s in the next round no matter what. Nobody’s saying “No thanks” to the Denver TV market even when Prime leaves and they go back to either sucking or being generally less interesting (or both).

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Massive economic and population growth in Mississippi would certainly help MSU remain among the big players.

So, yeah, we’re 17’d.

Reactions: aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Colorado and Prime are a good thing for college football. It needs disruption that doesn't involve money.

Anyways, your doomsday predictions are just as dumb now as they were in the summer. The breakaway isn't happening, unless it's like 80 teams or so. The 12-team playoff is evidence of this. And even if there are 60 teams included, that's about in line with typical college playoffs. That's about the size of the future SEC, B1G, Big 12 and ACC (66 teams). So if you add all that up and add another conference, this P5 'breakaway' that will happen 30 years from now will be between 70-80 teams most likely.

The next realignment will be a shakeup of the ACC, where Clemson, FSU and a few others leave, and there is a little movement with the ACC, Big 12 and whatever is left of the Pac and MWC. Then you'll still have the rest of the G5. And that will stabilize for a long time.

Then maybe they'll go to a 16-team playoff when they pick the top 80, which the event we talk about. Or that may not even happen. I'll be dead by then so who gives a 17.

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Prime still has to play 4-0 USC, 3-1 UCLA, 3-1 Oregon St, 3-1 Arizona, 4-0 Washington St, 4-0 Utah, that's a 21-3 record for the teams left on their schedule besides AZ St and Stanford . The new sheriffs star could be tarnishing some soon..........

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Conferences need mid teams to play against, we have nothing to worry about folks. Watch the numbers as Texas and Oklahoma join next season. Also add the playoff #'s to Georgia last year, they did fine in numbers.

The Colorado hype will continue to decline even as teams of social media consultants work like hell to keep it rolling. getting gutted, filleted and humiliated over and over this season tends to do that. In other news, how can a bible thumping head coach drive a lambo and seek constant attention? I guess that's the same Jesus that Kanye promotes.

Let's look again at the Big 12 teams that Colorado gets to play next season, these are going to be YUGGEEE:

Arizona Wildcats, Arizona State Sun Devils, Baylor Bears, BYU Cougars, UCF Knights, Cincinnati Bearcats, Colorado Buffaloes, Kansas Jayhawks, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia

What Deion needs to worry about is the Power 5 going to a "Power 2.5". There is really no way to take the Big 12 and ACC as serious as the SEC and Big 10. I think you will see this as the playoffs expand to 12 in 2024. Heavy weighted on SEC teams: Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc maybe even up to half of the 12.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ole Miss and the City of Oxford is taking strides to be included in the 32. MSU and Starkville are not.
Going to take more than just Ole Miss and Oxford. But, they definitely will be the first pick of Mississippi, they'll make sure of that.

That's why I keep telling everybody that Mississippi's (and MSU's) viability rests with Jackson. That's the only way a sizable economic/population boom can ever happen. Fiber internet helping the rural areas develop doesn't really move the needle. The GTR/Tupelo area 'could' become like a NW Arkansas I suppose, but I see it, at best, being like a Coast/Hattiesburg type thing - simple viable and stable - not a true needle mover. Same with Oxford. Meridian/Natchez/Vicksburg downtown renaissance are nice and do attract tourists here and there, but again, not a needle mover. We need JACKSON.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ole Miss and the City of Oxford is taking strides to be included in the 32. MSU and Starkville are not.
The city of Starkville has encouraged walkability, started selling cold beer, beer on Sundays, encouraged and turned downtown into shops instead of nothing but office space and built a beautiful new baseball park

At some point it takes private investment and dollars poured into the economy. Oxford boomed when people started showing up every weekend.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Conferences need mid teams to play against, we have nothing to worry about folks. Watch the numbers as Texas and Oklahoma join next season. Also add the playoff #'s to Georgia last year, they did fine in numbers.
That's pretty depressing. We will get paid, but continue to lose. I guess there are worse things in life.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
The strides of small cities in BF Mississippi are not moving any needles when it comes to TV $. Oxford is in the Memphis market so it is, geographically, in the largest market within MS. However, the Memphis market is the 50s nationwide in terms of eyes on TVs.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020

The Colorado hype will continue to decline even as teams of social media consultants work like hell to keep it rolling. getting gutted, filleted and humiliated over and over this season tends to do that. In other news, how can a bible thumping head coach drive a lambo and seek constant attention? I guess that's the same Jesus that Kanye promotes.

Let's look again at the Big 12 teams that Colorado gets to play next season, these are going to be YUGGEEE:

Arizona Wildcats, Arizona State Sun Devils, Baylor Bears, BYU Cougars, UCF Knights, Cincinnati Bearcats, Colorado Buffaloes, Kansas Jayhawks, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia

What Deion needs to worry about is the Power 5 going to a "Power 2.5". There is really no way to take the Big 12 and ACC as serious as the SEC and Big 10. I think you will see this as the playoffs expand to 12 in 2024. Heavy weighted on SEC teams: Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc maybe even up to half of the 12.
Colorado will go from 3-5 wins this year to possibly conference champs next year due to the change in competition.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Colorado and Prime are a good thing for college football. It needs disruption that doesn't involve money.

How does Prime’s disruption not involve money? Deion is the absolute poster child for the money-based race to the bottom that college football has become. He’s a one-man NIL machine, using his own wealthy partners and business connections to personally bankroll his players. The NIL money his players are receiving might as well be coming directly from Deion himself.

Do you think Travis Hunter was paid twice as much to go to JSU than was offered by FSU because JSU alums had more money than FSU, a Top 10 FBS program?

Do you think Deion completely flipped Colorado’s roster over one offseason because Colorado alums just up and decided they cared enough to buy dozens of players….after not caring about football at all for 25 years?

Reactions: Maroon13

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
The next TV contract negotiations will come after a Supreme Court ruling forcing shared TV revenue with student athletes. The huge gap between the SEC/BigTen and the other conferences is going to create such a disruption, it will force our way into the next level of college football. We are so lucky we started in the SEC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How does Prime’s disruption not involve money? Deion is the absolute poster child for the money-based race to the bottom that college football has become. He’s a one-man NIL machine, using his own wealthy partners and business connections to personally bankroll his players. The NIL money his players are receiving might as well be coming directly from Deion himself.

Do you think Travis Hunter was paid twice as much to go to JSU than was offered by FSU because JSU alums had more money than FSU, a Top 10 FBS program?

Do you think Deion completely flipped Colorado’s roster over one offseason because Colorado alums just up and decided they cared enough to buy dozens of players….after not caring about football at all for 25 years?
I just meant a new team winning and getting the headlines, and the portal helping them do it and create parity.

Players have been paid forever, but nobody wants to hear about it. NIL is the most awful, hopeless and boring storyline there is. Same with realignment and TV money, it just sucks.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Colorado’s in the next round no matter what. Nobody’s saying “No thanks” to the Denver TV market even when Prime leaves and they go back to either sucking or being generally less interesting (or both).
Don't agree with that. Once prime leaves he will take the viewers with him. He will use them like a cheap ho to get him to where he wants to go next. That or he sucks snd people will eventually lose interest or get tired of his shtick. He's trendy right now as a coach. 5 years from now if he's still good he won't be at colorado. He will take his movie stars nfl players and cameras and go to the next place and colorado will be like Jackson state. They will have more money for now but end up like Jackson state when he leaves. They might could attract a decent coach but not the same attention as prime

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Don't agree with that. Once prime leaves he will take the viewers with him. He will use them like a cheap ho to get him to where he wants to go next. That or he sucks snd people will eventually lose interest or get tired of his shtick. He's trendy right now as a coach. 5 years from now if he's still good he won't be at colorado. He will take his movie stars nfl players and cameras and go to the next place and colorado will be like Jackson state. They will have more money for now but end up like Jackson state when he leaves. They might could attract a decent coach but not the same attention as prime
Tune in for season 1 and tune out for season 2. No need to watch the same thing again

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
The next TV contract negotiations will come after a Supreme Court ruling forcing shared TV revenue with student athletes. The huge gap between the SEC/BigTen and the other conferences is going to create such a disruption, it will force our way into the next level of college football. We are so lucky we started in the SEC.

If we lose TV revenue we are done.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I just meant a new team winning and getting the headlines, and the portal helping them do it and create parity.

Players have been paid forever, but nobody wants to hear about it. NIL is the most awful, hopeless and boring storyline there is. Same with realignment and TV money, it just sucks.
They’ve been paid forever by boosters and those with emotional skin in the game. They haven’t been paid directly by their head coach (more or less) until now.

deltadawg82

Sep 26, 2023
Prime still has to play 4-0 USC, 3-1 UCLA, 3-1 Oregon St, 3-1 Arizona, 4-0 Washington St, 4-0 Utah, that's a 21-3 record for the teams left on their schedule besides AZ St and Stanford . The new sheriffs star could be tarnishing some soon..........
I figured they go 4-8 this year. I think they only beat Arizona state the rest of the way

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
I figured they go 4-8 this year. I think they only beat Arizona state the rest of the way

They'll surely beat Stanford (at home) and Arizona (away). I think the Buffs will win one or two more besides those two, but even if they don't, that gets them to six wins and a bowl game. It's a remarkable turnaround from winning one game last season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login