When Tolu comes back - is Bell his replacement off the bench…

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
Or will there be minutes with both of them on the floor?
If I’m reading your question correctly you are talking about when T Smith returns and is completely healthy and conditioned. Once that happens there might be limited situations where they play at the same time but nothing as part of the regular rotation. That said, T Smith still has a long way to go in his recovery and conditioning. It may be near mid-conference before T Smith is ready for extended minutes.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Bell will go to the McNair role, I would assume. Maybe some simultaneous action depending on match-up.

I'm amped. If you ain't a dawg...

Reactions: WrightGuy821

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know that you have to commit either way right now. Depends on matchups and how we need to defend the particular opponent each game.

But, most of the time, you’re going to have to sit 1 out of 3 between Bell, Tolu, and Matthews. Bell is a true 5, the likes of which hardly exist at all in basketball at any level anymore. Tolu is more of a 4 athletically who plays the 5 kind of by default because of limited range (which is why he’s still at MSU, honestly). Matthews is more of a swing forward who can play the 4 against smaller lineups or the 3 against bigger ones.

With all 3 healthy, I think we’ll be at our best with Bell starting games on the bench since he’s the most pigeon-holed into one particular role of the 3 players. But he’s still going to play an awful lot as the first guy off the bench for both Tolu and Matthews. Wouldn’t expect anything less than 25 minutes a game from Bell even when Tolu’s back. Matthews will be at 28-30. Tolu at 32-33 when he’s not in foul trouble.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
It’s a team game and I don’t expect us to sacrifice winning games just so Tolu can get his points.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
they will both get minutes. You can’t keep Bell off of the floor

Aug 22, 2012
I think we are going to be a matchup nightmare for lots of teams

We have the ability to go big, and defend with

Moore/Hubbard
DJ
Cam
Bell
Tolu

and we will have the ability to play a quicker better shooting lineup. If we get healthy and keep shooting well this could be a special year.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s a team game and I don’t expect us to sacrifice winning games just so Tolu can get his points.
I dont think anyone expects or hopes we would risk losing just to ensure Tolu gets points.

Bell has helped the team, but a healthy Tolu is still more dynamic and impacrful than what I've seen from Bell so far.

Bell, Matthews, and Chol are averaging 61mpg right now.
When Tolu comes back, I hope he gets 15-20, Bell gets 20(assuming he continues this level of play), and Matthews gets 25 by possibly taking some minutes from elsewhere on the court.
And when Tolu is fully back in terms of effectiveness and conditioning, he is getting 25mpg.

If Bell keeps up what he has done so far, it will be the biggest impact transfer we have had since Shane Power. The guy is straight destroying his ppg and rpg averages at STL and WVU. I hope it continues, but we shouldn't be shocked if he comes back to earth a bit.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
We don't know what type of shape Tolu will be in when he comes back. I assume he's been doing something related to water aerobics to help keep himself in shape but also to keep weight off of his foot so he can heal. I never heard exactly what type of foot injury it was but there's that possibility that he's not going to be the same player he was last year for the rest of the season including the SEC schedule.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Didn't mid a beat when Shaq got back. In Jans I trust.
I thought he looked bad. It looked to me like he still has the same bad attitude he had in previous years. 3/8 from the field. 0/2 from 3. 0 assists and 0 rebounds. Unless he was rusty from missing games because of suspension, I see no reason to increase his minutes.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
It feels like we are in the middle of a culture change and it’s leading to confidence and success from behind the arc that we haven’t seen in many moons. No need for the silly antics from the past to rear their ugly heads.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We don't know what type of shape Tolu will be in when he comes back. I assume he's been doing something related to water aerobics to help keep himself in shape but also to keep weight off of his foot so he can heal. I never heard exactly what type of foot injury it was but there's that possibility that he's not going to be the same player he was last year for the rest of the season including the SEC schedule
This. Foot injuries are always tricky with basketball players. He may not be 100 percent for the rest of the season or he may be completely fine. I’m sure he’s going to be on some minute restrictions whenever he comes back.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
FULL Tim Duncan & David Robinson Highlights in the 1999 NBA Finals against  the New York Knicks! - YouTube

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Problem with playing both at the same time is they both seem like true 5’s that need to play under the basket. Neither really has a mid range of perimeter game. That leads me to believe it’s more of an either/or.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I want to see them both on the floor in certain situations. End of game down 2...
That would create a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know that you have to commit either way right now. Depends on matchups and how we need to defend the particular opponent each game.

But, most of the time, you’re going to have to sit 1 out of 3 between Bell, Tolu, and Matthews. Bell is a true 5, the likes of which hardly exist at all in basketball at any level anymore. Tolu is more of a 4 athletically who plays the 5 kind of by default because of limited range (which is why he’s still at MSU, honestly). Matthews is more of a swing forward who can play the 4 against smaller lineups or the 3 against bigger ones.

With all 3 healthy, I think we’ll be at our best with Bell starting games on the bench since he’s the most pigeon-holed into one particular role of the 3 players. But he’s still going to play an awful lot as the first guy off the bench for both Tolu and Matthews. Wouldn’t expect anything less than 25 minutes a game from Bell even when Tolu’s back. Matthews will be at 28-30. Tolu at 32-33 when he’s not in foul trouble.
I don't see a situation where you sit Cam for any extended period, other than foul trouble. He's too critical as the glue on the defensive end, and when he decides to drive to the basket, good things happen. He will continue playing max minutes. Jans will just have to figure out how to manage the rest/fouls between Tolu and Bell when Tolu comes back.

Great problem to have.

Knowing Jans emphasizes defense first, right now it seems like the long term plan will be to start:

Rams
Shak
DJ
Cam
Tolu

Then Hubbard and Fort come in to rest/add energy/microwave the 1 and 2 spots. Sean Jones Jr. spells DJ or when we go small. Keyshawn spells Cam. Bell rests Tolu. Meyers and Taylor come in as needed - both have looked solid in limited minutes, although Taylor has looked lost a couple of times, but I think he will get more comfortable.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Problem with playing both at the same time is they both seem like true 5’s that need to play under the basket. Neither really has a mid range of perimeter game. That leads me to believe it’s more of an either/or.
Yea, if one of them can consistently hit a 15 footer, we can play them both together a good bit and have two of Tolu, Matthews, and Bell on the floor more or less at all times. Not sure if either can do that.

But we can press a lot more and run a lot more if we have Bell and Tolu both fully available. If they can spell each other, they can be hell on other players bigs making them get back on defense fast every time down the floor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login