When was the last time we were really good without a running QB here at State?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Historically speaking, unless I’m missing someone or some era, our greatest years and eras have been when we’ve had a running QB here at State. This offense can work here, but for it to be consistent, here specifically, I think we need that aspect of a QB, who when things aren’t clicking or working, can at least pull the ball down and run for first downs.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Historically speaking, unless I’m missing someone or some era, our greatest years and eras have been when we’ve had a running QB here at State. This offense can work here, but for it to be consistent, here specifically, I think we need that aspect of a QB, who when things aren’t clicking or working, can at least pull the ball down and run for first downs.
Well I mean every coach in the country would love to have a QB who was accurate and that could also run. They just don't make that many of them.

As far as whether the Air Raid can work here, we've beaten that to death multiple times.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I can’t imagine why a running QB would have had success at a school that has traditionally used a run based offense.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I can’t imagine why a running QB would have had success at a school that has traditionally used a run based offense.

it’s not like we’ve ran the wishbone for 50 or 60 years in row. Just because you might be considered to have a run based offense doesn’t mean you have to have a running or dual threat QB.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Peeyton didn't run at UT. Next year a dining QB came in and beat us for sec championship and national championship

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
When was the last time the Air Raid was really good with a running quarterback? Being MSU does not preclude us from succeeding in different ways.

Last edited:

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
It was only 7, was thinking it was 8 because, well um, we believe and all

I forgot the sarcastericks, that season was a fraud and pretty sure Russell's stat were pretty pedestrian iirc

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Rockey only ran for 446 yards on 149 carries his senior year in ‘74 when we won the Sun Bowl and this was out of the Veer.

And yes, that’s less than a 3 yard average per attempt.

Well, okay, it rounds up to 3.0 even.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Johnny Manziel made it look pretty solid
Johnny made it damn near unstoppable. Problem is, there ain't many Johnny's. Many more Case Keenum's than Johnny Football's. Leach is always going to go accuracy first, because, well that's the Air Raid.

And of course, QBs like Johnny, Cam Newton, etc. make ANY offense unstoppable. Those guys could throw and run at elite college levels.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
When was the last time the Air Raid was really good with a running quarterback? Being MSU does not preclude us from succeeding in different ways.

Not only Manziel. As of late, Mahomes, Mayfield, and Murray were also pretty solid in it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It was only 7, was thinking it was 8 because, well um, we believe and all

I forgot the sarcastericks, that season was a fraud and pretty sure Russell's stat were pretty pedestrian iirc
At the time, Russell was absolutely a breath of fresh air. I mean he could hit open receivers, and that's something we hadn't had since Fant.

I do believe Russell was going to have a pretty good year in 2013 if not for injuries. We had a bad defense in 2012, so it made the team look worse than it was (effing Chris Wilson - horrible coordinator).

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I know Belechick looked for a running QB for a decade….sad it didn’t work out.

And historically speaking, we’ve 17ing sucked for 100 years…

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think air raid adaptions work better than pure leach air raid. See kingsburry and Murray in the nfl. Holgerson or even gundy. All those guys have adapted to mobile qbs and a mix of run game with receivers

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Hurts too, but I don't think Riley was running the same Air Raid.

Yes he’s running the same air raid offense that he learned from Leach. The difference now and the reason it might look different is because Riley has been recruiting mobile QB’s to run it.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
And 1999 wasn’t good because of Madkin’s QB play. Also has -1 yard rushing on the season

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
1994, 1999, 2000, 2012 and 2015 are years that stick out to me.

Taite, Madkin and Dak could all run. However, none were Micheal Vick. Each of those years those three guys stayed in the pocket and threw down field.

Funny, some people trying to say State has always been a run only school. However, in 1994, 1999 and 2000 Jackie had a very balanced offense. He did have a lot of offensive talent those years but we threw the ball often. Taite and Madkin were quick enough to avoid the sack. ALso, good enough throwing to keep defenses honest. Same for Mullen, sure his offense was run first. However yall remember Dak. Mullen adjusted in 2014 and 2015 and threw the ball a lot and we had a balanced offense.

Jackie put our last WR in the NFL. Mullen put our only QB in the NFL. Let's see if Leach does either. Leach is going to have recruit a lot better.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Easy answer. We’ve been really good 2 times in my lifetime. 1999 & 2014. I’d hardly call that a large sample size.

3 times for me: 1980, 1999, & 2014...Increased the sample size by 50% and its still pretty small

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Only 58 winning seasons in 117 years in football, so that whittles it down

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Our meager success has come with running attacks. Our years of failure have come with running attacks as well.

We haven't really failed with a passing game before, because we never tried one. Croom's attempt at a West Coast offense failed due to recruiting and incompetence. Moorhead's RPO offense failed due to a complete lack of discipline.

I'm not a Leach fan at all, but for the first time on our program's history we have a coach who can attract QBs and WRs from across the nation. Give it another year or two before declaring it a failure.

The inconsistency in the offense is just growing pains. The team started out the season shooting itself in the foot on a regular basis. They ironed some of that out and won a few games. The last 2 games were pretty ugly.

My only real concern so far is the slow starts.. comebacks are fun and all, but I wouldn't mind just running up the score in the first half sometime.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Easy answer. We’ve been really good 2 times in my lifetime. 1999 & 2014. I’d hardly call that a large sample size.
Nah I'd go 1980-1981, 1994, 1998-2000, 2010, 2014-2015. Most of those teams, even if the record was lesser than 10-2 or whatever, won big and lost small, and had pretty good talent. 80s and Mullen's teams were obviously running QBs. Taite in 1994 wasn't but we also had Moulds and 2 dominant tailbacks. We essentially had no QB in the late 90s.

I used to think it was defense that was our ticket, and it pretty much still is. Our offense just needs to be serviceable and if it's good, then that's just gravy.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
1994, 1999, 2000, 2012 and 2015 are years that stick out to me.

Taite, Madkin and Dak could all run. However, none were Micheal Vick. Each of those years those three guys stayed in the pocket and threw down field.

Funny, some people trying to say State has always been a run only school. However, in 1994, 1999 and 2000 Jackie had a very balanced offense. He did have a lot of offensive talent those years but we threw the ball often. Taite and Madkin were quick enough to avoid the sack. ALso, good enough throwing to keep defenses honest. Same for Mullen, sure his offense was run first. However yall remember Dak. Mullen adjusted in 2014 and 2015 and threw the ball a lot and we had a balanced offense.

Jackie put our last WR in the NFL. Mullen put our only QB in the NFL. Let's see if Leach does either. Leach is going to have recruit a lot better.
Leach is recruiting just as good as anyone else has here, ratings wise. I understand that doesn't mean much but it proves that you are simply making that crap up, because we don't know what Leach's recruits are going to do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login