When you break it down, Muschamp really didn't do all THAT poorly here

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Was looking back over it, and there's a solid case to be made that he really just needed more time. Really just had the one bad year in 2019. Covid year shouldn't count.

2016 was really just a great coaching job. Made a great tactical decision, switching to Jake and getting that team to a bowl.

2017 is the very small handful of top seasons in our history, finishing 2nd in the East, which is a place haven't been very often. Great bowl game win over Michigan. Played a respectable game against a Clemson team that was rounding into dominant form. Really didn't play any bad games all season, though we came up short in a few.

Took a bit of a step back in 2018, but still got us to a bowl. Fluke loss to UF hurt us badly. Thoroughly dominated Akron to end the season but fell short in the bowl game against UVA.

Yeah, 2019 was a stinker, no way around that, but we lost our starting QB in Game 1, so all bets were off at that point. Still managed to beat UK and kicked UGA's a*s in Athens. Unfortunately, we finished the season with some tough luck losses.

2020 was a wild card season for a bunch of teams, so I throw that one out.

All-in-all, the signs were there that progress could be made, with a little patience.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
If Muschamp had been a head coach without a track record, perhaps this argument would have better merit. Unfortunately, he did have a track record, and his USC tenure was playing out just like his UF tenure did. I think this is likely the first post ever made by a Carolina fan that Muschamp just needed more time.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Muschamp hurt himself, and us, by hiring TROB as DC and sticking with him. He made BMAC his OC, after Roper. Both DC and OC Coordinators were over their heads. Huge mistakes. I think he finally got the OC position right with Bobo. But by then, it was too late.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If Muschamp had been a head coach without a track record, perhaps this argument would have better merit. Unfortunately, he did have a track record, and his USC tenure was playing out just like his UF tenure did. I think this is likely the first post ever made by a Carolina fan that Muschamp just needed more time.
He was hamstrung at UF.

Prestonite53

May 26, 2024
Don't think decades would make Muschamp a good head coach.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
He wasn't even that bad at UF. About on par with all of their post-Spurrier coaches, with the exception of Urban.
He was pretty bad. One great season (year 2), two mediocre seasons, and one bad season. I don't think there are any Gators out there who think Muschamp would have turned the program around with a few more years. And then he proved it by doing the exact same thing here.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It might sound a little crazy, but I really think he was on the cusp here.
You're right, that's crazy lol. I think you've forgotten just how bad things were. That 2019 team was abysmal, despite having a number of NFL players on the roster. The 2020 team never showed up, and then it quit when Muschamp got fired.

Reactions: Cpvniii

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He was pretty bad. One great season (year 2), two mediocre seasons, and one bad season. I don't think there are any Gators out there who think Muschamp would have turned the program around with a few more years. And then he proved it by doing the exact same thing here.

You have to be more granular and not just look at the final record.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You're right, that's crazy lol. I think you've forgotten just how bad things were. That 2019 team was abysmal, despite having a number of NFL players on the roster. The 2020 team never showed up, and then it quit when Muschamp got fired.
There were a lot of anomalous results across college football in 2020

Prestonite53

May 26, 2024
He's awfully young to get the ''soft retirement treatment''.

On January 13, 2024, Georgia announced that Muschamp would transition to an off-field analyst role to spend more time with his family.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Man beat UT 3 years in a row, which however you slice, is big for USC. Beat Florida. Beat UGA.

That alone puts him in pretty rarified air for a USC coach.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Muschamp hurt himself, and us, by hiring TROB as DC and sticking with him. He made BMAC his OC, after Roper. Both DC and OC Coordinators were over their heads. Huge mistakes. I think he finally got the OC position right with Bobo. But by then, it was too late.
Think we could have seen some great things if we gave time with Bobo at OC.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
There were a lot of anomalous results across college football in 2020
You have to be more granular and not just look at the final record.

Describe "more granular."

There were a lot of anomalous results for sure, but 2020 was just more of the same from 2019. Who knows what happens if Covid doesn't happen, but you just can't deny that the 2020 team got worse and worse as the season played out.

Same thing for the 2019 team. It played hard and competed with Alabama and somehow beat Georgia, but other than that it was really bad.

Reactions: Gradstudent

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Muschamp's tenure was doomed to fail imo. I always had the feeling he was neutered by Tanner when he was hired or at the least, felt he had to dial it back a notch in order to get hired. Either way, you come in to a job not being who you are... well that's usually not going to work.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
OK OK… I was just yanking everyone’s chain. Of course Muscchamp was terrible. I just had to do something to get some conversation going on the board today..

Next up…why Brad Scott wasn’t all that bad.
I was going to come back and post something about how it was a great trolling thread before I saw this. At least it got the conversation rolling!

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
If we're gonna talk about guys who needed more time, then Darrin Horn has to be in the mix. He did beat Kentucky three times.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
OK OK… I was just yanking everyone’s chain. Of course Muscchamp was terrible. I just had to do something to get some conversation going on the board today..

Next up…why Brad Scott wasn’t all that bad.
He's a legend down at the Golden Corral.

• Haha

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
If we're gonna talk about guys who needed more time, then Darrin Horn has to be in the mix. He did beat Kentucky three times.
Truth is if everyone would have just bought in to his never ending excuses after every loss, he'd still be here today

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I was going to come back and post something about how it was a great trolling thread before I saw this. At least it got the conversation rolling!
You gotta do what you gotta do! It was absolute crickets in here. Combined with slow day at work. Miserable.

Reactions: will110

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
He put Some of the worst teams I have ever seen on the field. And I saw Brad Scott. He needed to go.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
You gotta do what you gotta do! It was absolute crickets in here. Combined with slow day at work. Miserable.

I just figured maybe you really are Will Muschamp? From the thread, :) glad to hear you are not .

Surprised you did not bring up his record vs Missouri, compared to Beamer's record vs Missouri, LOL

Baltcock96

Joined Dec 11, 2001
Jan 28, 2022
Was looking back over it, and there's a solid case to be made that he really just needed more time. Really just had the one bad year in 2019. Covid year shouldn't count.

2016 was really just a great coaching job. Made a great tactical decision, switching to Jake and getting that team to a bowl.

2017 is the very small handful of top seasons in our history, finishing 2nd in the East, which is a place haven't been very often. Great bowl game win over Michigan. Played a respectable game against a Clemson team that was rounding into dominant form. Really didn't play any bad games all season, though we came up short in a few.

Took a bit of a step back in 2018, but still got us to a bowl. Fluke loss to UF hurt us badly. Thoroughly dominated Akron to end the season but fell short in the bowl game against UVA.

Yeah, 2019 was a stinker, no way around that, but we lost our starting QB in Game 1, so all bets were off at that point. Still managed to beat UK and kicked UGA's a*s in Athens. Unfortunately, we finished the season with some tough luck losses.

All-in-all, the signs were there that progress could be made, with a little patience.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
Hi Will!

GamecockGreat

Apr 23, 2024
Sticking with T-rob was a bad decision. You'd expect a defensive-minded head coach to have a good defense.

Never finding a good OC was a bad move, although McClendon did well with what he had. He put up a really good O in 18, looks like a top 5 offense in the last 25 years for us. He made Hilinski look good in 19. Unfortunately Muschamp needed a scapegoat after that season and with the offensive duds they had to close out that season Bmac was an easy pick. T-rob should've been first to go but whatever. Honestly I think Bobo contributed just as much to his downfall as Trob did, and in only half a season. Dude is an all-time bum. From what I've seen players generally like Muschamp. Which goes a long way to a good culture. But there's no way they liked Bobo.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Muschamp's tenure was doomed to fail imo. I always had the feeling he was neutered by Tanner when he was hired or at the least, felt he had to dial it back a notch in order to get hired. Either way, you come in to a job not being who you are... well that's usually not going to work.
I remember that too. I thought we finally got a coach that would put his foot up some *** but Tanner cut his balls off.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
Dude.

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
He should have never been hired. End of story.

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
Honestly, Brad Scott wasn’t bad at the beginning. A highly sought after assistant from a great program. A couple of good wins against Clemson. Our first bowl win (we drove all the way down to Miami for that one), which is saying something about how terrible our program is through history. But it sure didn’t end well. And if he doesn’t take the job at Clemson and get carried off the field by the team after a victory, I think he’s pretty much forgotten here instead of despised. Oh well.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
One of these days, those who have the hiring authority @USC, I HOPE, will take the time to study our football history. If so, they will find out: only Head Coach hires who previously had proven, successful Head Coaching stints at other FBS schools, have had decent success at South Carolina. I'm not saying success year in and year out. I'm talking about success over the course of multiple seasons, or had a monumental season (conference championship). Those coaches are Dietzel, Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier. The others: Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp were fired for football reasons after 5 or fewer seasons. Will the hiring authorities @USC ever learn?

We are in a relatively small state, sharing it with a historically, traditional power and in the toughest football conference in the nation. You just can't hire any "Tom, Dick or Harry" and win in football at South Carolina. It's too tough of a job for that. And on this Father's Day, I'd add that just because the Father was real good as a Head Coach, does not mean the son will be too. Skip Holtz has come the closest. Yet he has been fired from 2 Head Coach jobs.

Last edited:

uscphan

Joined Jan 27, 2001
Jan 24, 2022
Cannot leave out the success of the team from the upstate as a factor with Muschamp’s demise. If he had beaten them 1/3 of the time and they were just 9-3 on average, maybe he sticks around. But they were in the midst of the best 5 year run in their history.

capngamecock

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Jan 26, 2022

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
"Fell short" against UVA is an understatement. They embarrassed us thoroughly.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think Muschamp went to Georgia with the idea it could spring him to a 3rd shot at a Head Coach job. But after not getting a bite this past year, he decided to step away from the DC position and become an analyst.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login