When you break it down, Muschamp really didn't do all THAT poorly here

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I think Muschamp went to Georgia with the idea it could spring him to a 3rd shot at a Head Coach job. But after not getting a bite this past year, he decided to step away from the DC position and become an analyst.

I think Muschamp is waiting for Brent Key's tenure at Georgia Tech to run it course and them to be back in the head coach market, then he will become Head Coach there and do his Muschamp magic on another Georgia rival.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
He lost to Appalachian State. That alone is a fire worthy offense and he honestly should have been dismissed after that game.
Kept running a player who should not been playing, a obviously much much less then 100% Rico Doddle, over and over, what did he finish with something like 15 carries for 10 yards? If I recall? , That was the stuff that really frustrated me about him, Muschamp would allow or make such obvious idiotic decision during a game, LOL

Another one was when he let Jake Bentley hop around on one foot, again obviously injured, later in a game against Kentucky.

Muschamp just lacked common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blues man

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Should have fired Muschamp and hired Drinkwitz. Missouri is being talked about as a pre-season Top 10 team. Ole Miss and Kiffin is being talked about making the 12-team playoff this year. How do these teams get so lucky and hire such coaches? Arkansas on the otherhand, this year is do or die for their 5th year coach according to reports.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think today's college football rules require that the Head Coach be offense oriented and have a good offensive mind (see Ole Miss). That was not Muschamp.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Kept running a player who should not been playing, a obviously much much less then 100% Rico Doddle, over and over, what did he finish with something like 15 carries for 10 yards? If I recall? , That was the stuff that really frustrated me about him, Muschamp would allow or make such obvious idiotic decision during a game, LOL

Another one was when he let Jake Bentley hop around on one foot, again obviously injured, later in a game against Kentucky.

Muschamp just lacked common sense.
Or played Zach Bailey in the second half of that pointless 2018 Akron game when he broke his leg, and gave Scarnecchia zero snaps in that game because the ball was wet.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Mar 8, 2023
Was looking back over it, and there's a solid case to be made that he really just needed more time. Really just had the one bad year in 2019. Covid year shouldn't count.

2016 was really just a great coaching job. Made a great tactical decision, switching to Jake and getting that team to a bowl.

2017 is the very small handful of top seasons in our history, finishing 2nd in the East, which is a place haven't been very often. Great bowl game win over Michigan. Played a respectable game against a Clemson team that was rounding into dominant form. Really didn't play any bad games all season, though we came up short in a few.

Took a bit of a step back in 2018, but still got us to a bowl. Fluke loss to UF hurt us badly. Thoroughly dominated Akron to end the season but fell short in the bowl game against UVA.

Yeah, 2019 was a stinker, no way around that, but we lost our starting QB in Game 1, so all bets were off at that point. Still managed to beat UK and kicked UGA's a*s in Athens. Unfortunately, we finished the season with some tough luck losses.

2020 was a wild card season for a bunch of teams, so I throw that one out.

All-in-all, the signs were there that progress could be made, with a little patience.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
That kind of tells the story of 100+ years of Gamecock football.... he started off well but couldn't sustain it. To be honest, I think that while his defensive schemes were probably high level... it may have been too far over the heads of the young guys that were recruited to play in it. Too complex. Certainly wasn't the worst era of Gamecock football because let's face it, other than some great years under Spurrier, there's not a whole lot of great history with USC football. (1969, 1984 - with a typical USC loss to a bad Navy team, and a couple of years under Holtz - but he left us almost as bad as he found us.

So yeah, I think fans are a little out of touch with thinking "Muschamp and Tanner took down the football program." The program has really sucked most of its existence and we as fans struggle with that.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Cluster Cock

Joined May 4, 2021 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 28, 2022
I've been with Muschamp in a small setting - 10 guys sitting around a table at a big donor's house - and he can be funny and engaging, cutting up with "the guys", so to speak. But there's the side of him that can be brusque and prickly when things aren't going his way.

My son and I had dinner with someone connected to the program the night before the Belk Bowl blowout. He said he had a bad feeling about the game. We had like 14 days to practice and we only used half of our allotted days. He said the team was unprepared and it showed big time.
Will said he felt like making the bowl game was an accomplishment and he didn't want to "punish" them with hard practices (or something like that)

As the game was late in the 4th quarter and we're down 28-0, players on our sideline are dancing to the hip hop being blasted thru the PA.
I can't imagine a Saban, Harbaugh, Smart or any other top-notch coach allowing that embarrassment to happen.

I'm very high on Shane and I think/hope he is the guy to lead us. I know he loves the USC and truly wants us to win. Time will tell.

Reactions: Gradstudent

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
That kind of tells the story of 100+ years of Gamecock football.... he started off well but couldn't sustain it. To be honest, I think that while his defensive schemes were probably high level... it may have been too far over the heads of the young guys that were recruited to play in it. Too complex. Certainly wasn't the worst era of Gamecock football because let's face it, other than some great years under Spurrier, there's not a whole lot of great history with USC football. (1969, 1984 - with a typical USC loss to a bad Navy team, and a couple of years under Holtz - but he left us almost as bad as he found us.

So yeah, I think fans are a little out of touch with thinking "Muschamp and Tanner took down the football program." The program has really sucked most of its existence and we as fans struggle with that.

Yes the program has bottomed out many times through history by many different coaches and administrations, but based on context, I will say Muschamp does deserve more criticism then some others since he followed up the most successful era of our program and then also drove it back off the cliff, right back into the ditch, that we came from.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
Was looking back over it, and there's a solid case to be made that he really just needed more time. Really just had the one bad year in 2019. Covid year shouldn't count.

2016 was really just a great coaching job. Made a great tactical decision, switching to Jake and getting that team to a bowl.

2017 is the very small handful of top seasons in our history, finishing 2nd in the East, which is a place haven't been very often. Great bowl game win over Michigan. Played a respectable game against a Clemson team that was rounding into dominant form. Really didn't play any bad games all season, though we came up short in a few.

Took a bit of a step back in 2018, but still got us to a bowl. Fluke loss to UF hurt us badly. Thoroughly dominated Akron to end the season but fell short in the bowl game against UVA.

Yeah, 2019 was a stinker, no way around that, but we lost our starting QB in Game 1, so all bets were off at that point. Still managed to beat UK and kicked UGA's a*s in Athens. Unfortunately, we finished the season with some tough luck losses.

2020 was a wild card season for a bunch of teams, so I throw that one out.

All-in-all, the signs were there that progress could be made, with a little patience.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda.
Who cares at this point! Let’s don’t live in the past because it mostly sucked and support Beamer and our future!!

Reactions: gamecockcleo

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
How do you end up with a proven failure Head Coach like Muschamp and someone who has never been a Head Coach like Beamer? Spurrier proved the potential this program has by finishing in the Top 10 three times. It's hard for me to believe that a young, successful, proven Head Coach from a lower tier FBS school would not have jumped at the chance to increase their salary 8-9x and coach in the most prestigious conference in the nation. Was it laziness, poor planning, hard-headedness or overconfidence on our part? It's very perplexing, to put it mildly.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I think Muschamp went to Georgia with the idea it could spring him to a 3rd shot at a Head Coach job. But after not getting a bite this past year, he decided to step away from the DC position and become an analyst.
That's sounds like a guy who was in coaching for all the wrong reasons.

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I've been with Muschamp in a small setting - 10 guys sitting around a table at a big donor's house - and he can be funny and engaging, cutting up with "the guys", so to speak. But there's the side of him that can be brusque and prickly when things aren't going his way.

My son and I had dinner with someone connected to the program the night before the Belk Bowl blowout. He said he had a bad feeling about the game. We had like 14 days to practice and we only used half of our allotted days. He said the team was unprepared and it showed big time.
Will said he felt like making the bowl game was an accomplishment and he didn't want to "punish" them with hard practices (or something like that)

As the game was late in the 4th quarter and we're down 28-0, players on our sideline are dancing to the hip hop being blasted thru the PA.
I can't imagine a Saban, Harbaugh, Smart or any other top-notch coach allowing that embarrassment to happen.

I'm very high on Shane and I think/hope he is the guy to lead us. I know he loves the USC and truly wants us to win. Time will tell.
He let Deebo “opt out” and stand on the sideline. BS move by Muschamp and BS move by Deebo.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022

Very high on Shane. 🥴

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

GI Bro

Jun 23, 2024
Muschamp’s main problem was that his program was built on getting guys to the pros. I can understand why some of the players might appreciate that but it creates a selfish atmosphere that hurts the team as a whole.

Reactions: Personalfowl

SummervilleCock83

Joined Apr 26, 2016
Jan 30, 2022
I give him credit for winning 9 games in 2017, but if Bryan Edward’s doesn’t make a miraculous catch against LA Tech, we lose that game and the season unravels from there. That year we also laid a complete egg at home against Kentucky and Clemson at home. While losing to that Clemson team wasn’t terrible, not showing up for the game was terrible. Not showing up for big games was a hallmark of Muschamp teams.

Reactions: Personalfowl

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login