Where does all of the revenue that MSU receives from being a member of the SEC go?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
No Way Omg GIF by Science Channel

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yep. I heard State was so poor they fed the players deep fried sparrow for Thanksgiving Dinner.

just so you know being the 13th wealthiest Program in the SEC, makes State the 40th wealthiest program in the NCAA (of the Public Universities that report such numbers) so we got that going for us. Which is better than 73 other Public Universities in FBS. Of course we don't know how much the 20 Private Institutions budgets are.

MSU isn't poor. The administration just has to manage the budget a bit tighter than our SEC brethren.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Well if you want to see an income statement ... this sheds some light ....

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/sec/mississippi-state-university

I'd enjoy drilling down further into some of these expenses to see the details but that website gives you an idea.
Excellent data! I notice Ole Miss has $30,000,000 more to spend. I wonder where that is coming from?

We are the lowest in the SEC (Vandy doesn't report as a private school but we know about their investment income). Interesting that the teams with the most are the top teams in the conference. Kentucky on the rise in football makes sense now.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Excellent data! I notice Ole Miss has $30,000,000 more to spend. I wonder where that is coming from?

They must have received a large donation that year or more donations. Usually they are just a million or even with us on contributions but that year, 2022, they were ahead by 10million in contributions and 3 million on tickets sales. I noticed too, they have 2million revenue in student fees and 2 million from the school. I don't see where we have student fee revenue or any contribution from the school (unless it is accounted for somewhere else).

so 10+3+2+2= 19 million. Also you'll noticed in 2022, OM had a net loss of 4million. So they spent from savings I guess.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I calculated that Ole Miss was $23M higher with the difference coming from $13M in donations, $6M in "other", $3M in ticket sales, $2M student fees and $2M in "govt support(?)". That is more than $23M but it is offset in categories that MSU is higher (corporate support, etc). Of course, a budget is proportional to the size of the university. The one expenditure that needs attention is the recruiting cost. A 3x increase would definitely give us a lift. Does State have a student fee for athletics? It is not showings on the financials but UM has a $2M line item.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Junction stripper poles and post-game-day traffic control.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
The money keeps women’s sports afloat. Just like the nba money keeps the wnba afloat.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login