Where is the team and anyone else staying for the game at South Carolina? Other recommendations?

drail14me

Jul 20, 2008
Looking for recommendations on places to stay in Columbia. Any idea where the team will be staying? Other recommendations for accommodations, meals, things to do? We're gonna stay a few days.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Looking for recommendations on places to stay in Columbia. Any idea where the team will be staying? Other recommendations for accommodations, meals, things to do? We're gonna stay a few days.
If you don't stay right in Columbia, I'd look back west on I-20 towards Atlanta. There are some motels a few miles to the east towards Florence. I would not look either north or south on I-26 because there's not much of anything in either direction once you get out of Columbia.

Reactions: drail14me

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
I live in Columbia. There are plenty of hotels to chose from. There are hotels all around the interstate belt that goes around Columbia. Lexington, Irmo, Cayce, West Columbia and Blythewood have several options. Downtown Columbia has several too but i wouldn’t be surprised if they are booked and it’s a bit more pricey. Try Air Bnb too, it’s really popular in the Carolinas. The stadium is not close to the campus or the downtown area, it’s actually in the south side of the city in the Industrial park area. As far as what to eat and drink. There are several options as far as restaurants in the downtown area: Main Street, the Vista, Five points. If you are looking for more chain restaurants go to the Harbison Area(Irmo) or the Sand Hills(North East Columbia). Columbia has several bars and breweries. Popular ones are Steel Hands (Cayce), Savage (West Columbia), Iron Hill (downtown Columbia) If you are looking for something like Cowbells in Starkville go to the Tin Roof in the Vista or the CWP also in the Vista. As far as what to do. Columbia is the state Capital so there is that side of things like the state capital building and grounds. Columbia believe it or not has one of the best Zoos in the country. It has been considered too 10 by several news outlets. There are several golf courses in the area if that is your thing. The university course is in Blythewood called Cobbelstone its super nice. There are two rivers in the city the Saluda and the broad that meet and form the congaree, there are several walking trails and paths that are nice. Might see someone fishing or kayaking. If you go to the zoo you can go to the botanical gardens that you can walk to by a bridge over the saluda too. I’ve never been but ive heard it’s nice. The University of South Carolina is nestled in Columbia and it’s a nice campus. You need to go see the horse shoe it’s really quaint. I’m sure I’m missing a lot of things so this website might help you out. http://ExperienceColumbiasc.com

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I live in Columbia. There are plenty of hotels to chose from. There are hotels all around the interstate belt that goes around Columbia. Lexington, Irmo, Cayce, West Columbia and Blythewood have several options. Downtown Columbia has several too but i wouldn’t be surprised if they are booked and it’s a bit more pricey. Try Air Bnb too, it’s really popular in the Carolinas. The stadium is not close to the campus or the downtown area, it’s actually in the south side of the city in the Industrial park area. As far as what to eat and drink. There are several options as far as restaurants in the downtown area: Main Street, the Vista, Five points. If you are looking for more chain restaurants go to the Harbison Area(Irmo) or the Sand Hills(North East Columbia). Columbia has several bars and breweries. Popular ones are Steel Hands (Cayce), Savage (West Columbia), Iron Hill (downtown Columbia) If you are looking for something like Cowbells in Starkville go to the Tin Roof in the Vista or the CWP also in the Vista. As far as what to do. Columbia is the state Capital so there is that side of things like the state capital building and grounds. Columbia believe it or not has one of the best Zoos in the country. It has been considered too 10 by several news outlets. There are several golf courses in the area if that is your thing. The university course is in Blythewood called Cobbelstone its super nice. There are two rivers in the city the Saluda and the broad that meet and form the congaree, there are several walking trails and paths that are nice. Might see someone fishing or kayaking. If you go to the zoo you can go to the botanical gardens that you can walk to by a bridge over the saluda too. I’ve never been but ive heard it’s nice. The University of South Carolina is nestled in Columbia and it’s a nice campus. You need to go see the horse shoe it’s really quaint. I’m sure I’m missing a lot of things so this website might help you out. http://ExperienceColumbiasc.com
Don’t listen to this guy. This whole post and he doesn’t mention Maurice’s or Lizards Thicket.*** JK

Great advice here. Only one I’ll add if you want a nice sit down restaurant. Al’s upstairs. Al is a great dude and knows SEC football very well.

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
Don’t listen to this guy. This whole post and he doesn’t mention Maurice’s or Lizards Thicket.*** JK

Great advice here. Only one I’ll add if you want a nice sit down restaurant. Al’s upstairs. Al is a great dude and knows SEC football very well.
Haha Lizards Thicket is definitely the spot to go for some southern cooking. Great breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are located all around the city so shouldn’t be hard to find. I could name several places to eat at in the area, one of my favorite spots is Cafe Strudel in West Columbia for breakfast.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Pearlz Oyster Bar downtown
Colas
Henry’s on Devine
Sake Tumi Sushi
The Blue Marlin
Di Prato’s Deli
MidWood Smoke
Docs BBQ
Probably all downtown hotels are already booked.
You could try W Columbia area/ St Andrews or go up toward Irmo, SC

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Haha Lizards Thicket is definitely the spot to go for some southern cooking. Great breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are located all around the city so shouldn’t be hard to find. I could name several places to eat at in the area, one of my favorite spots is Cafe Strudel in West Columbia for breakfast.
We moved away from Irmo 13 years ago. I heard Copper River closed, which sucked because for a regional chain, they were awesome.

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
We moved away from Irmo 13 years ago. I heard Copper River closed, which sucked because for a regional chain, they were awesome.
I forgot about that place, i think i ate there once or twice it was good! If you haven’t been to Columbia in 13 years it’s going to be totally different. I’ve been here 10 years and it has changed a lot since i moved here.

Also for the OP on Saturdays downtown Columbia has a market on Main Street called Soda City Market. I definitely recommend, it has a lot of food trucks and local vendors. Would be a great experience for a game day.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If you have younger kids. Edventure is fun as well.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Used to live in Cola but haven't been back in some time. Definitely check out the State House area, campus (the Horseshoe specifically) and I personally love the river walks/trails. As far as food, there are so many great options most of which are mentioned already. I'm a brunch fan and Cafe Strudel and DiPratos are my favs. Really anything food-wise you want, you'll be able to find. I would definitely check out the Vista area for at least one meal or drink. 5 Points is pretty neat but gets rough at night. I actually had a buddy get tazed one night outside of Delaney's, RIP (the bar not my friend). We were hoping to go down to the game but travel soccer took precedence. Man what'd I'd give to have one more slushie from Rocco's, also RIP.

I haven't been back since they upgraded the tailgating area. When I was there you only had the State Fair or surrounding business lots to park in. The school bought up a few lots and built a nice tailgating spot. It's still weird compared to really any other SEC school with the stadium off campus and the tailgating much more like an NFL game. Seawell's just behind the fairground lot was our go-to spot, no idea if they do day of parking anymore though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login