Which bad choice is best?

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Had a discussion with a friend at lunch today about a couple of former football coaches from a Power 5 conference. We couldn't agree on who the better of two bad coaches was so I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Coach A
Won 38.2% of his overall games and 15.2% of conference games
Had one winning season
No bowl games

Coach B
Won 35.6% of his overall games and 25.0% of conference games
Had one winning season
One bowl game

Both guys coached for similar periods of time. Who are you picking as the lesser of two bad choices?

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It probably matters where they were coaching. If one is at a school with a solid history and the other's not, that colors the perception.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Coach B sounds a lot like Sly Croom— same conference record (.250), one bowl game, but the overall record — edit ah… rounded up.

mmm. no.

Run Away GIF

just wait for a few years when we have these questions about Lemonis as Coach B…

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I agree with AT360. Overall record is pretty much a wash but a few more conference wins and one bowl game

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Coach B seems like the clear winner, no? A bowl game and a substantially better conference record?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Had a discussion with a friend at lunch today about a couple of former football coaches from a Power 5 conference. We couldn't agree on who the better of two bad coaches was so I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Coach A
Won 38.2% of his overall games and 15.2% of conference games
Had one winning season
No bowl games

Coach B
Won 35.6% of his overall games and 25.0% of conference games
Had one winning season
One bowl game

Both guys coached for similar periods of time. Who are you picking as the lesser of two bad choices?
I am just now seeing this post…. There’s really no way to make this decision without a good bit more context.

If one guy coaches and Ark. State and the other at Ohio State…. Outside of that, you’re flying blind.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Are the names being withheld to protect the innocent ? **

edited...sounds like Felker and Croom
It is Felker (A) and Croom (B). My buddy threw out the "Croom was a better coach than Felker" bomb at lunch, which I laughed at. But we looked at the numbers and they obviously aren't much different. Felker was 21-34, 5-28 SEC in his five years. Croom was 21-38, 10-30 SEC in his five years.

I still don't completely agree with him. I think Felker left Sherrill a better program than Croom left Mullen. And Croom has a bowl game under his belt simply because there were so many more bowl games in 2007 than there were in the 80s. But I was surprised that the overall records were so similar and that Croom had a better SEC record.

**Though if you think this comparison is dumb, just wait until I throw out the Moorhead (56.0 overall winning percentage, 43.8 SEC winning percentage) versus Leach (54.1 overall winning percentage, 42.3 SEC winning percentage) comparison.**

Last edited:

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
It is Felker (A) and Croom (B). My buddy threw out the "Croom was a better coach than Felker" bomb at lunch, which I laughed at. But we looked at the numbers and they obviously aren't much different. Felker was 21-34, 5-28 SEC in his five years. Croom was 21-38, 10-30 SEC in his five years.

I still don't completely agree with him. I think Felker left Sherrill a better program than Croom left Mullen. And Croom has a bowl game under his belt simply because there were so many more bowl games in 2007 than there were in the 80s. But I was surprised that the overall records were so similar and that Croom had a better SEC record.

**Though if you think this comparison is dumb, just wait until I throw out the Moorhead (56.0 overall winning percentage, 43.8 SEC winning percentage) versus Leach (54.1 overall winning percentage, 42.3 SEC winning percentage) comparison.**
This blew my mind for about 3 seconds, until I remembered that Leach had the Covid year.

Reactions: FQDawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

That is absolutely mind boggling. And as crazy as it seems, Croom left Mullen a legit NFL HOF candidate with Cox. And, Mullen took right over and didn’t skip a beat.

I knew Felker wasn’t great here as a coach, but that’s a lot to digest. In multiple directions.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I lived through both. Felker was definitely worse. But to be fair, he had less resources to work with than Croom did.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I lived through both. Felker was definitely worse. But to be fair, he had less resources to work with than Croom did.
I only caught the last two years of Felker, which were both 5-6 years so it didn’t seem too bad. With Croom, it felt like we were lucky to win games at all.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

patdog

May 28, 2007
I only caught the last two years of Felker, which were both 5-6 years so it didn’t seem too bad. With Croom, it felt like we were lucky to win games at all.
Even in Felker last 2 years we were only 2-12 in SEC games. Both were terrible. It’s close to say who was worse, but it really doesn’t matter. Neither had any business ever coaching in the SEC.

Aug 15, 2011
Poor Felker had Murder’s Row with Auburn, Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss all in a row. Our athletic administration certainty did not do him any favors. 2012 was the closest anyone else came close to those schedules, and we see how that year turned out.

Reactions: patdog

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Leach didn’t inherit the best defense in the country and no OOC games Covid year
leach Didn’t have a starting LB KNICK YOUR QB…. Leach vs Moorhead should never be compared ever

Reactions: thatsbaseball

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
To me, this shows how much name recognition or maybe reputation can make a difference in how people think. Or at least how I think.

I would have argued for the rest of time that Felker had a better record than Croom - even with Tech and 10 on his resume. But that's based in large part on the fact that Felker is "part of the family." Whereas Croom was just a guy we hired who didn't do a very good job while he was here.

So those actual records - especially the SEC records - are not what I would have expected.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Even in Felker last 2 years we were only 2-12 in SEC games. Both were terrible. It’s close to say who was worse, but it really doesn’t matter. Neither had any business ever coaching in the SEC.
But even with that SEC record, Sherrill reminded us at a Bulldog gathering that Felker was 10 points from still being our football coach

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login