Which is the better hire?

Which is the better hire?

• Elko to A&M

• Lebby to State

Results are only viewable after voting.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
There is really no way to answer that. Lebby could be a major flop, and there’s no way to answer that after a year, two years. I think Elko is a safe hire and will probably elevate them, but there’s no way to judge Lebby until 3 years in IMO.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Since I previously mentioned that I favored Elko at State, of course I voted for aTm.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Elko is very underwhelming for A&M. Even more than Stoops would’ve been.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is really no way to answer that. Lebby could be a major flop, and there’s no way to answer that after a year, two years. I think Elko is a safe hire and will probably elevate them, but there’s no way to judge Lebby until 3 years in IMO.
Of course you can answer that. You just may realize in three years that you were wrong.

Reactions: 85Bears

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Elko was a desperation hire by a terrible AD after his first choice flopped and was publicly denigrated by their fan base.

By default, that makes Lebby the better hire.

Lebby may end up flopping, but I like the direction of our program WAY more than the direction TAMU’s heading.

Lebby feels like the next Mullen.

Bjork’s gonna Bjork…

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Of course you can answer that. You just may realize in three years that you were wrong.
There's ways to tell if a team is well coached outside of wins and losses. I was far from a fan of this hire but now that it is done I will say that if we are losing but look well coached, he has to get at least 2 years due to how young we will be.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I said this in another thread. A&M will have the same problem no matter who the coach is. The Old SWC teams were run by boosters. They donate the money they want a say as to what happens in all aspects of the program. Arkansas has the same problem. All those teams that was in the SWC is like that and will always be like that. Their ADs are just figure heads. If any other SEC schools had what A&M has had since joining, they would have won the SEC several times. The coaches' hands are tied. I suspect both A&M and Texas will be average SEC schools.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We judged Arnett on ten games. While I agree with your 3 year timeline and I agreed with firing Arnett, he really wasn’t given a fair chance if 3 years is a full sample size.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Proven P5 head coach who won at freaking Duke vs never been a head coach before. I think both are good hires on paper, but you have to say Elko is better because of P5 head coaching experience.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
We judged Arnett on ten games. While I agree with your 3 year timeline and I agreed with firing Arnett, he really wasn’t given a fair chance if 3 years is a full sample size.
He didn't get a chance bc it looked that bad with a shitload of starters back from a 9-4 season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login