Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Clemson

bullysleftnut

May 23, 2006
but from what I've read Ray Ray's finished his undergrad degree already. So, he got a diploma out of it. Also, if he wants to get a Master's from Clemson, I'm sure he'll be taken care of. Not to mention with his financial situation he's eligable for a cubic boatload of grant money. He'll probably get paid to go to school.

mstatefanatic

Aug 30, 2006
he was going to take the spring off of practice in an attempt to graduate in August. Wouldn't blame him for leaving now though.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
It was a sweet story made sweeter by the normally soulless NCAA, which granted the financially strapped McElrathbey a waiver allowing him to accept monetary aid from the university and the public in the form of a trust fund for Fahmarr, as well as home care from coaches' families for him while Ray Ray in class or at practice.

The NCAA cut this guy some slack! Damn, how often does that happen. Basically, Clemson is more cold hearted than the NCAA...that's tough to accomplish. It would be worth the positive publicity for any University to step forward and offer these two brothers a way to get/complete their education.

</p>
"We're pretty good at running back right now,"

What an absolute suck-*** thing to say...can't believe he didn't see how this would be taken.</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm sure Tommy will be kicking in some cash to help the guy finish school. I've always heard what wonderful people the Bowden's are so they must be. Hell, Daddy's even spoken at my parents' church before, so you know he's a wonderful man.

Seriously, this is a dumbass thing for Tommy to do. One scholarship isn't worth the bad PR he'll get from this. But it doesn't surprise me at all.

RaleighDawg.sixpack

Feb 24, 2008
take up for Bowden (I don't really care for him), but I've heard that he offered Ray Ray a grad. assisstant position to help him work toward his master's degree. If that's true, it's not really so bad, but if not, well Costanza pretty much said it all...

Aug 20, 2006
Ray Ray now has the choice of transferring to another school to finish his eligibility (if he can find one willing to offer him a scholarship), or he could finish his degree requirements over the summer, enroll in graduate school at Clemson and accept the school's offer to be a graduate assistant. Although Clemson points out that McElrathbey would still be on scholarship, the stipend would pay for tuition and books only, not room and board.</p>
Sounds like a ****** deal compared to the athletic scholly.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I believe they do. I want to say they get a set amount if they live on/off campus and if there rent is less than what they are given, they have extra spending money.

Aug 20, 2006
The only experience I have with college athletics was, believe it or not, two years of JC tennis. But after a quick Google it would appear that the University will give the Student Athlete what it would cost him to stay on campus for off campus boarding.

One of the sites I found had this to say.
Room and board scholarships must be paid at a rate equal to the average cost of on-campus housing, whether the recipient student-athlete lives on or off campus. Room and board can be paid for October through June, but the actual months covered will depend on each individual's scholarship agreement.

mywifeishot

Mar 12, 2008
My wife is from Clemson and I get info from up there. This guy has six figures in the bank. That's why he wanted the money to be kept a secret because of the large amount he has. He's still getting his tuition & books paid for just not room & board, he's got plenty of money, for free.

This is mainly about the guy wanting to play football, not the money. He also may not get any grants due to the large amount of money he has in the bank. This is all what I've been told. He may be better off than a lot of us.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I don't believe you will be allowed to post here for very long without a photo.

Just trying to be of assistance.

mywifeishot

Mar 12, 2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3283608

After McElrathbey gained custody of his brother, Clemson applied for a waiver from the NCAA to set up a trust fund to cover the brothers' living expenses. The NCAA granted the request and the school raised more than $100,000 for the brothers. The NCAA also allowed Clemson's coaches and their families to provide Fahmarr with rides to and from school

From what I've been told the money is still coming in.

She's hot not been shot.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I thought you were claiming to have some kinda inside info to his bank account, like his banker was leaking you information.

Now my question is: How in the hell did the NCAA let this fly? Who needs that much money to live off of?

mywifeishot

Mar 12, 2008
just that my wife's dad says that they are still raising money for him and that it's about football and not the money. I don't have a problem with the NCAA allowing it, I have a problem with the media busting on Tommy B. He's trying to run a business that's best for the team. This guy has been given alot. He is no longer struggling and he's not NFL material anyway. As long as he gets a free ride which he is should be all that matters.

Bowden knows alot more about the situation than we do or even the media. He nor Clemson is heartless as the media is trying to portray them. They have gone above and beyond.

patdog

May 28, 2007
After reading your posts, I take back my earlier post. That guy is getting plenty. I'm sure there are hundreds of NCAA athletes in similar situations to him that never had $100,000 raised to help them out. It's still a PR screwup by Bowden, but once you hear the full story it's hard to feel too sorry for the player.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
for him and the kid? Honestly, that's not that huge a sum of money to raise a teenager and potentially send them to college.

Also, lets get some perspective here. The issue is how Clemson treated the guy, and they treated him like ****.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
It's not a huge sum, but it's more than the bare minimum to live of off, which is all that I figured the NCAA would allow. That's all, I didn't mean to imply that the guy had won the lottery or anything.</p>

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
valid point. I was responding more to the original hot wife guy who said we "shouldn't feel too sorry for him", and I think that's horseshit. It's not like he and his kid have millions of dollars.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No, $100K isn't a tremendous sum of money to raise a kid. But it's a hell of a lot more than 99% of other people struggling to raise thier younger siblings are getting. And Clemson's not really treating him that badly. If it weren't for Clemson, he'd have never had the $100K raised for him (I assume much of that money came from Clemson fans). They're still offering him a scholarship as a grad assistant. And the $100K is more than enough to cover room and board for him and his brother.

Honestly, after hearing the full story, I think Clemson is doing the right thing. He's gotten a full scholarship, including room and board, throughout his college years. And they're offering him another scholarship for graduate school.

mywifeishot

Mar 12, 2008
Why isn't it? The guy will get his degree this year which was paid by Clemson and that should be more important than playing football. Football is not going to pay the bills for him & his bro a job that he gets with that degree will.

Plus Clemson raised over $100k for him & his brother and money is still coming in. They never promised him anything once he graduates. That's up to him.

I'm sure alot of us would have loved to have $100k plus once we started in the real world. It would have been a huge some of money for me, my wife and daughter.

Look I think it's extremely admirable what he did for his brother. But wouldn't most of us had done the same thing?

This is about playing football and not the money. If you think not allowing him to play football anymore is treating him like crap then I guess it is.</p>

3 and 9 record

MSUCostanza wrote:The issue is how Clemson treated the guy, and they treated him like ****.

We have all these posts about how badly Clemson and Bowden treated this guy. Nobody mentions how badly his parents treated him. He was in foster care because his father has a gambling problem and his mother is a crack addict. His parents are the problem, not Bowden.

I will raise my kids, I don't expect Croom and MSU to raise them for me. It is my job, not a coach or universities. The parents are the ones we should be criticizing. Yet we have all these posts about Bowden and Clemson.</p>

gdogg

Feb 24, 2008
AND he has a couple of 100s in the bank. geez.
I had to buy Schaffer light and eat B-Quik chicken when I was at State.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login