White Cold Death 2024 has started in OB

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My understanding is snowfall accumulation is extremely difficult to predict.
People always get mad at snowfall amounts compared to what is forecasted. If you look at a post storm snowfall map compared to a total rainfall map when it’s not cold you’ll see the same pattern. Bottom line, it’s very random. You’ll have pockets of heavier precip and then a few miles away it’s completely different.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
People always get mad at snowfall amounts compared to what is forecasted. If you look at a post storm snowfall map compared to a total rainfall map when it’s not cold you’ll see the same pattern. Bottom line, it’s very random. You’ll have pockets of heavier precip and then a few miles away it’s completely different.
1” of rain = 10” of snow roughly? Makes you realize how little moisture really comes down when it snows on the south

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
1” of rain = 10” of snow roughly? Makes you realize how little moisture really comes down when it snows on the south
Yes it’s roughly 10:1

Here’s an example of a rainfall summary and a snowfall summary. Lots of variability but no one notices it with rainfall because what fun is that?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Depends on temps. At 30°F 1" of precip will be roughly 10" of snow. At 20°F 1" of precip will create closer to 20" of snow. At 10°F it will be more like 30-1.

We skied yesterday in 8" of 0° powder and cut right through it. 8" of 30° powder will float my fat åss like I'm full of helium.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Depends on temps. At 30°F 1" of precip will be roughly 10" of snow. At 20°F 1" of precip will create closer to 20" of snow. At 10°F it will be more like 30-1.

We skied yesterday in 8" of 0° powder and cut right through it. 8" of 30° powder will float my fat åss like I'm full of helium.
Hah..But is it really powder at 30°?
8inches of blower pow is basically worthless. You’re skiing on the mank underneath which can suck if it was ballistic plating prior..now if was 8” blower on top of good snow that’s pleasant.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Hah..But is it really powder at 30°? 8inches of blower pow is basically worthless. You’re skiing on the mank underneath which can suck if it was ballistic plating prior..now if was 8” blower on top of good snow that’s pleasant.
Yep! Looks like it's about 8 inches (shrinkage and all)**
IMG_6284.jpeg

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

jwtorch

Jun 15, 2023
Breadless in Grenada.
We got rabbis in Gunader? Wow! I'm down there about 40% of the time. Stuck in Huntsville wanting to retire the rest of the time. Ran off & left the wifey yesterday before it got bad. She's got plenty of food, guns, & firewood, so she should be able to handle it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login