Who’s got the power?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Seems like the players an the schools have the power, that is unless the schools want the reigns to be placed back on this crap. Then, the players still have the power if they use it.

Reactions: aTotal360

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Actually the real power to control this crap rest with the fans, alumni, and boosters across our country. All of this would come to a screeching halt if everyone would just draw a line in the sand and say no more. Of course winning is more important in our society than anything so grown men will continue to submit to and brag about supporting a shake down operation conducted by an 18 year old high school kid. We are a society with more money than sense.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Actually the real power to control this crap rest with the fans, alumni, and boosters across our country. All of this would come to a screeching halt if everyone would just draw a line in the sand and say no more. Of course winning is more important in our society than anything so grown men will continue to submit to and brag about supporting a shake down operation conducted by an 18 year old high school kid. We are a society with more money than sense.
College sports generates billions of dollars in revenue which is used to pay high salaries to coaches, build huge facilities and create huge athletic departments of off the field staff. None of that revenue goes directly to the athletes. The athlete benefits but isn't compensated a fair amount for the revenue to they help generate. The NCAA allowed the athlete to only benefit from their name image or likeness and it has become the wild west. Its a broken system and I don't know how it gets fixed without the biggest and wealthiest schools breaking away from the NCAA and starting over.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Sorry. Your thread title sent me back to a childhood memory.

Reactions: Dawgg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
College sports generates billions of dollars in revenue which is used to pay high salaries to coaches, build huge facilities and create huge athletic departments of off the field staff. None of that revenue goes directly to the athletes. The athlete benefits but isn't compensated a fair amount for the revenue to they help generate. The NCAA allowed the athlete to only benefit from their name image or likeness and it has become the wild west. Its a broken system and I don't know how it gets fixed without the biggest and wealthiest schools breaking away from the NCAA and starting over.
I don’t mind the athletes all being compensated a fair amount for the work they do for the program. I do think they should all be compensated equally. I also think the value of a free college education is a significant amount of compensation. I do mind the annual shake downs that occur now to keep this player or that player from transferring to their rival. In the real world you go get said employee a cardboard box, watch them clean out their desk, and walk them to the door. also don’t like the bidding wars that go on for a player’s services. I know it’s not going to stop. I also know that long term they are slowly killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Reactions: Rockymountaindawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t mind the athletes all being compensated a fair amount for the work they do for the program. I do think they should all be compensated equally. I also think the value of a free college education is a significant amount of compensation. I do mind the annual shake downs that occur now to keep this player or that player from transferring to their rival. In the real world you go get said employee a cardboard box, watch them clean out their desk, and walk them to the door. also don’t like the bidding wars that go on for a player’s services. I know it’s not going to stop. I also know that long term they are slowly killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
I honestly wish we'd all quit couching our statements with phrases like this. Bottom line is, YES, we do care. I don't want them making this kind of money. I'm old school and believe that this should be amateur - that's the way I want it, the way it's always been. But like most things in life, we don't always get what we want, do we? So, in this case, I just accept it as a necessary evil. I'm not donating to NIL (EVER), unless they are doing work for me or something. So it just is what it is. I'll continue to buy tickets and come to games, that's how I support. And truth be known, I can't come up with any real reason not to allow true NIL, like social media and things like that.

I do think the NFL should allow them go pro a year earlier. And I would ban collectives. If I was the NCAA I'd work hard to make sure there there were no recruiting incentives or even the appearance of it. Keep that crap under the table on the black market.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login