Who does LSU hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
No idea. I know I’d make a run at Dave Clawson, and I’d give Kendall Briles serious consideration.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
In order:
(These are the names I have seen, no matter how ridiculous.)

Urban Meyer
Chris Petersen
Jimbo Fisher(No buyout)
Mario Cristobal
Lane Kiffin
Matt Campbell

ETA add Brian Kelly near the top and Mark Stoops at the bottom.

Last edited:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
They should've swallowed their pride and gone after Napier. They've had a month and a half and look like a bunch of chumps now.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Anyone who watched Alabama last night would be an idiot to hire O’Brien. He called an atrocious game against Auburn and should have been fired this morning.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Kiffin would be good right away there. It’s an obvious move IMHO.

Kiffin will still be at Ole Miss next year. He’s not getting any serious looks from a blueblood until he proves he can both build and sustain success. He’s done neither at Ole Miss so far….he simply inherited the best QB in the nation and that makes everything else a lot easier when you are a decent X’s and O’s coach. We’ll see what he can do with his own recruits starting next season. Year 3 was where it really started to fall apart at USC, so he’s got a bit to prove yet about learning from past mistakes.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2012
They should make a run at Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State. He has great hooks into Texas recruiting grounds, would do well in Louisiana on that front as well and has a little swagger about him when it comes time to play, and beat, the Texas and Oklahoma crowd coming into the SEC.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Joe Brady

Personally, I'd love to see this.

Joe, when given a really good set of chess pieces, can call a helluva offense game. But can he run a program top to bottom? I think he would be a bigger train wreck than the last two years we've seen with Orgeron.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
They should make a run at Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State. He has great hooks into Texas recruiting grounds, would do well in Louisiana on that front as well and has a little swagger about him when it comes time to play, and beat, the Texas and Oklahoma crowd coming into the SEC.

He is from Oklahoma and played QB at OSU. I think the odds are much higher that he retires from there or is fired if he goes on a 4 year downward trend, which is obviously not the case right now. I’d say slightly less than 2% chance he would leave from there right now.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Agreed. Oklahoma State is probably going to end up in the playoffs this year. Once Texas and OU leave, Oklahoma State and Baylor look to be the powerhouses in the new Big 12. Why leave your alma mater at that point other than for money?

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Agreed. Oklahoma State is probably going to end up in the playoffs this year. Once Texas and OU leave, Oklahoma State and Baylor look to be the powerhouses in the new Big 12. Why leave your alma mater at that point other than for money?

Hell, I don’t think that money would be a good enough reason considering his situation and background. They would have to be pissing him off somehow for him to leave.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Didn’t he recently take a million dollar pay cut?

Yes he took a voluntary cut during Covid because of seating capacity reductions causing season ticket sales to plummet. I imagine after this year he stands to get a nice raise beyond his original contract.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes he took a voluntary cut during Covid because of seating capacity reductions causing season ticket sales to plummet. I imagine after this year he stands to get a nice raise beyond his original contract.

"The changes were offered up by Mike Gundy, and I commend him for that. It was his idea to take a million-dollar pay cut," Holder said. "I think it really demonstrates his commitment to being a better coach. He wanted to make a statement that assured all the players that this wasn't just about talk, this is more about action, and that's the first step."In addition to the pay cut, Holder said the contract length was shortened from five to four years, his buyout was cut from $5 million to $4 million, and his guarantee dropped from 75% to 50%.
"I want to emphasize, every one of those was offered up by Mike Gundy," Holder said.
The review, by Holder and deputy athletic director Chad Weiberg, was prompted by criticism of Gundy after Cowboys running back Chuba Hubbard blasted him for wearing a T-shirt from OAN (One America News) in a photo that appeared on social media.
One America News is a far-right news network that is often cited by President Donald Trump and has tried to position itself as a place for a pro-Trump audience that believes other conservative news outlets have become too mainstream in their reporting. It has criticized the Black Lives Matter movement.
Gundy apologized for the "pain and discomfort" he caused his players and others, and he vowed positive changes in his football program.
"This wasn't about a T-shirt," Holder said. "This was about a lot of things. The missing link has been a more personal relationship with their head coach. They respect him as an excellent game-day coach, but they want more coaching on a personal level. This crosses all racial lines. To a man, our players want a better connection to Mike Gundy. They view him as a difference-maker, and they want him to help them grow as leaders."
He said Gundy was "humble, remorseful and committed to change" after hearing the feedback.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...oach-mike-gundy-agrees-take-1m-pay-cut-review

Gundy then apparently asked for the pay cut to continue another year since assistants werent getting raises.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Wow, I forgot about the OAN thing. It was cancel culture telling you what is free speech and what is not free speech... sort of like Leach posting a grandma knitting a sweater noose for her husband being a “dog whistle”...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wow, I forgot about the OAN thing. It was cancel culture telling you what is free speech and what is not free speech... sort of like Leach posting a grandma knitting a sweater noose for her husband being a “dog whistle”...

Wearing a shirt with a conspiracy outlet name isnt a good look. Regardless of it being legal and within his right as an employee, it isnt a good look.
Of course it is free speech, but it showed a disconnect and led to a change in how the program interacts/communicates between staff and players.
Is it cancel culture if your own players and ex-players speak out? Or is that just open conversation on both ends and examples of speech and ramifications of being allowed to say what you want?

Regardless, I posted that earlier because that is the initial reason why Gundy gave back $.

willi13

Sep 24, 2003
The REAL question is "Why didn't they have a plan in place and have someone hired by now?"

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Sporting a mullet isn't a "good look" either, but it does not warrant a...

a million dollar pay cut, slick....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sporting a mullet isn't a "good look" either, but it does not warrant a...
a million dollar pay cut, slick....

Haha, true- that also isnt a good look.
To be clear, I didnt say I wanted Gundy to have a pay cut or be fired. And as mentioned in the article, Gundy came up with this 'punishment' on his own.

Aug 22, 2012
Wearing a shirt with a conspiracy outlet name isnt a good look. Regardless of it being legal and within his right as an employee, it isnt a good look.
Of course it is free speech, but it showed a disconnect and led to a change in how the program interacts/communicates between staff and players.
Is it cancel culture if your own players and ex-players speak out? Or is that just open conversation on both ends and examples of speech and ramifications of being allowed to say what you want?

Regardless, I posted that earlier because that is the initial reason why Gundy gave back $.

Lately the difference between conspiracy theory and factual news has been a matter of months.

Remember when it was a conspiracy theory to say COVID started in a lab? I do.
Remember when Rittenhouse carried a rifle across state lines? I do.
Remember when Trump was being dramatic saying statues of founding fathers would come down. I do.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I have lost all ability to read the left winger / right winger banter between you guys. Take that **** somewhere else. Or maybe take a break from SPS for a week and then quit altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login