who else was around when they called themselves "the nasty bunch"?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
who else was around when kelly sanner at wdam made the accusation of 'taunting' against MSU players follow that last win in 1990 (until the matchup renewed)?
I was at the game in H'Burg in '89. Pretty intense. It was weird coming down the ramps after the game while state fans were doing the Florida State tomahawk chant. Southern had beaten Florida State the week before.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I remember the Nasty Bunch moniker well. In the early 80's we had a downright donnybrook against them a few years. In 1981, we played them in Jackson and lost 7-6. We were both ranked. Even though I was only in the 4th grade, I still remember that as one of the hardest hitting games I can remember. I hated them about as bad as Ole Miss from the late 70's through the 80's. We were their "Superbowl".

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I went to the 87 game in Jackson. I remember this lady sitting in front of us talking about that "sweet Favre boy from church." I'm almost certain he was only punting for them that game.

I was at the 90 game at Scott field. I remember the winning FG and that's about it.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I went to the 87 game in Jackson. I remember this lady sitting in front of us talking about that "sweet Favre boy from church." I'm almost certain he was only punting for them that game.

I was at the 90 game at Scott field. I remember the winning FG and that's about it.
Favre started for them in that 87 game

Reactions: Maroon13

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
who else was around when kelly sanner at wdam made the accusation of 'taunting' against MSU players follow that last win in 1990 (until the matchup renewed)?
I'm old enough to remember that USM pretty much had their way with State for years. I was there for the '81 game (one of the hardest-hitting games I'd ever seen), '83 where State just laid down and died, '84 and '85 when we won, then 1987-1990 after I moved back to Mississippi.

When we signed up to play them again in 2014-15, I was actually worried because of how well USM played against us. However, the years were much kinder to State than USM. We've pretty much beaten the brakes off of them since we re-started the rivalry.

Saturday might be USM's best chance to beat State.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I remember the Nasty Bunch moniker well. In the early 80's we had a downright donnybrook against them a few years. In 1981, we played them in Jackson and lost 7-6. We were both ranked. Even though I was only in the 4th grade, I still remember that as one of the hardest hitting games I can remember. I hated them about as bad as Ole Miss from the late 70's through the 80's. We were their "Superbowl".
Rob 17n Fesmire.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I didn't move back to Mississippi until 87 and didn't really pay attention during the early 80's. However, as an adult I became friends with Mark Carmichael who was an LB on the Nasty Bunch. I'm sure he was a hell of a player but is hard to imagine him as nasty. Mark passed away 7-8 years ago and he was truly one the nicest people I have ever met. His whole family wife and son are wonderful people. His son is a lot like Mark and graduated from State. We need more Marks RIP

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I was at State then. John Bond got knocked out early and neither team could move the ball very well. Turnovers wound up being the difference. Southern hardly crossed mid-field but on a short punt our up-back (we had those at that time) muffed the punt and gave it to the eaglets deep in our territory and they were able to score the only TD in the game. We had two FG and several other missed opportunities. I left that day the most dejected as I every have been after a football game.

Reactions: msstatelp1

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I'm old enough to remember that USM pretty much had their way with State for years. I was there for the '81 game (one of the hardest-hitting games I'd ever seen), '83 where State just laid down and died, '84 and '85 when we won, then 1987-1990 after I moved back to Mississippi.

When we signed up to play them again in 2014-15, I was actually worried because of how well USM played against us. However, the years were much kinder to State than USM. We've pretty much beaten the brakes off of them since we re-started the rivalry.

The reason they fell off was because we stopped playing them. We and mississippi propped them up in MS by playing them every year.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the game in H'Burg in '89. Pretty intense. It was weird coming down the ramps after the game while state fans were doing the Florida State tomahawk chant. Southern had beaten Florida State the week before.
I was there as well. The only game I ever attended at their stadium. State fans were doing the tomahawk because their fans did it the entire game. It was sweet winning it late in the game.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Witnessed the 42-14 shellacking we took in Starkville in 1980.
Thought we'd be getting some sweet revenge in 1981 at Memorial Stadium in Jackson. We'd had just lost a f'n heartbreaker to Alabama the week before.
(I'd forgotten Bond got suspended for the game - he could have made a difference.... I think he got suspended that time for when he and Eddie Hornback shot about a dozen street lamps out in downtown Starkville. ---- GOOD TIMES!)
Witnessed another loss 7-6 and the best defensive, hardest hitting game in the history of college football.
USM only scored after we hit Collier so hard he fumbled it "forward" into the endzone. That was the only drive that they got inside our 40 yard line all day.
I can name all of our defensive starters in that game to this day. Can't recall a damn name on Southern's defense, but they were indeed a nasty bunch.

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I was in the USM drumline in 1984, we had a specific drum part to the cheer...I hated that cheer. Transferred to MSU the following semester (spring1985), which I would not recommend to anyone...transferring mid-year, specifically one's freshman year. ha

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
☝️

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Been to 3 games against USM and they were all close:
- The 7-6 game in 81 where Tim Parenton started in place of John Bond.
- The 1986 game was the only blemish on our season that started out 6-1, and eventually fell apart
- The 1990 game against Favre after his car accident. The rumor was that Jim Carmody had a chart of Farve's injuries to let our defense know where to hit him

The only defensive player I remember from that Nasty Bunch defense was West Kemper's Bud Brown, who went on to be part of the Killer B's defense for the Dolphins.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

i was at that game too... i was 20 then... i have no recollection whatsoever about the game but i do remember Kyper , the rapper, not the mel, playing at one of the fraternities.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

That 81 game was the highest attended sporting event ever in MS at the time. It was intense.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I remember those years well. USM was cheating at a high level back then and ruined the season for a couple of our greatest teams. They were talented, well coached and nasty.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login