Who should Bama hire?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Of course I'm hoping they don't make a great hire (unless its Kiffin). But if you were Byrne, who would be your pick?

Notable potential candidates:

Lane Kiffin
Dan Lanning - Staying at Oregon
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

I'm not convinced by Lanning yet. Good coach, but limited experience. Kiffin probably has the highest ceiling, but might be too volatile for that program. I'm not sure that Sark would leave Texas, but I would probably go with him or Kiffin.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think they get any of those, except maybe DeBoer. And honestly he's probably the best option. Dabo is dumb enough to go so many he will.

DeBoer is losing everybody and Dabo seems to have run his course at Clemson, I could see him trying to complete the circle.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Kiffin might average 50 a game with Bama recruits. He'd be the safest bet to me to keep them at or near the top.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Kiffin has done a great job at OM. For that alone, I want him to go to Bama so OM will hopefully implode. BUT, that's also the reason they should choose him. He's done it in the SEC at a have-not school. The other candidates haven't done it in the SEC and many of them have short track records of success.

Reactions: bolddogge and Dawgg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Kiffin might average 50 a game with Bama recruits. He'd be the safest bet to me to keep them at or near the top.
Kiffin could do well. Very likely win a championship there but he'd have to grow up quickly. I don't think he's mature enough to handle the criticism he will get being the HC there from both within and outside the program. And criticism for the guy that follows Saban will be 10x of any other situation. He's somewhat insulated from national criticism at OM and would be offered a longer grace period if he had a couple rough seasons. They can put up with his pout sessions and passive aggressiveness. Likely isn't going to fly at Bama. Not this soon after Saban.

Reactions: HRMSU

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Of course I'm hoping they don't make a great hire (unless its Kiffin). But if you were Byrne, who would be your pick?

Lane Kiffin
Dan Lanning
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

I'm not convinced by Lanning yet. Good coach, but limited experience. Kiffin probably has the highest ceiling, but might be too volatile for that program. I'm not sure that Sark would leave Texas, but I would probably go with him or Kiffin.
Franklin is about the only one I would eliminate from this list. Any of the rest would be good.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Lane Kiffin
Dan Lanning
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

I'd be prepared for whoever I pick to flop if I were Byrne. I think NIL has been a negative for Bama, and I think Bama fans are going to turn on anybody that doesn't have them in the championship game every other year. I'd be hesitant to commit $50-$60M to a coach that fans are probably going to hate in 3 years regardless, and I think it's going to take something like that to poach most of those coaches.

Dabo makes $10M+. Norvell is making $8M per year at FSU. Franklin makes $8.5 and has like a 10 year contract I think. Lane is making $9M? Lanning is making $7-8M. I would think minimum to get those guys to listen would be $10M per year for 5 years on the low end to $12M per year for the higher paid coaches?

Now Sarkisian is only making $6Mish? And Kalen DeBoer is making under $5M. I think I'd at least make Sarkisian say no and make UT up his pay to around $10M, which I'm guessing they'd happily do.

After that? Would fans be happy with DeBoer?

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Just goes to show you that if this is "the list," the quality and real coaching talent out there for arguably THE elite job is very wanting.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I'm hearing that Lanning declined the offer. So, my own guess list looks like this now:
1. Lanning
2. Norvell - FSU
3. Ryan - Texans
4a. Kiffin - UM 4b. DeBoer -UW
5. Chadwell - Liberty

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

Lane Kiffin
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

My vote is for Mike DuBose.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
If I was already coaching at a high level program I wouldn’t touch Alabama right now. It is going to be an almost impossible task to follow Saben. No matter what they do it won’t be good enough.
I agree. I'd want to be the guy that follows the guy that followed the guy. Wait til the next guy gets canned for going 8-4 then take the job once expectations are at a semi-crazy level. But I know a guy with the ego to follow Saban and he resides in Oxford.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If I was already coaching at a high level program I wouldn’t touch Alabama right now. It is going to be an almost impossible task to follow Saben. No matter what they do it won’t be good enough.
Kiffin is arrogant enough to think he could.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm hearing that Lanning declined the offer. So, my own guess list looks like this now:
1. Lanning
2. Norvell - FSU
3. Ryan - Texans
4a. Kiffin - UM 4b. DeBoer -UW
5. Chadwell - Liberty
I be wouldn’t trust what you “hear”. There’s gonna be a lot a guesses published as “I’m hearing.”

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Mike Dubose is tanned, rested, and ready

Lane Kiffin
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Lane Kiffin
Dabo Swinney
Kalen DeBoer
Mike Norvell
Steve Sarkisian
James Franklin

I’d be happy if they hired Dabo. His rejection of getting in the portal and dislike for the NIL will not set well with AL fans long term. At all.

You see where Clemson was vs is. If Al has to play in the Gator Bowl? Awwwww man. They can’t have that. You haven’t seen holes in trailer walls till Bama loses its 4th game of the year.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I like Sark. He's a Sabin disciple and probably has some tough thick skin given his story. He probably knows the NIL well by his experience at UT. I would go after him then Kiffin if I couldn't get Sark.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Since Belichick has been let go with New England, would they possibly look at Bill O'Brien, assuming he's not up for an NFL job?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Funny... 2-3 years ago, Dabo would be a slam dunk. The problem is that he has the same problem as Saban and hasn't really embraced the NIL/Portal era and I think that will hurt his chances. Otherwise, he looked like the heir-apparent over the past 7-8 years.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Kiffin could do well. Very likely win a championship there but he'd have to grow up quickly. I don't think he's mature enough to handle the criticism he will get being the HC there from both within and outside the program. And criticism for the guy that follows Saban will be 10x of any other situation. He's somewhat insulated from national criticism at OM and would be offered a longer grace period if he had a couple rough seasons. They can put up with his pout sessions and passive aggressiveness. Likely isn't going to fly at Bama. Not this soon after Saban.
Correct. There's a big difference between:
"Wow! We kept it close with Georgia and gave them a run for their money! Great coaching job!"
and:
"WT17! We couldn't take care of business against Georgia?!? Maybe we made the wrong choice."

I could be wrong, but I don't think Kiffin is built for that life.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hearing Glenn Schumann, Georgia DC, is the guy. Came out of nowhere
I'm sorry, but my understanding is that elite programs only hire established head coaches with championship pedigrees and only the bottom level of the Power 5 or Group of 5 hire coordinators.***

Reactions: JDawg13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think they get any of those, except maybe DeBoer. And honestly he's probably the best option. Dabo is dumb enough to go so many he will.

DeBoer is losing everybody and Dabo seems to have run his course at Clemson, I could see him trying to complete the circle.
Sometimes, I hate being right.

Reactions: StateCollege
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login