Whoever invented the season finale cliffhanger needs to be erased from history

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Finished the Strange New Worlds season and that just pizzed me off. I tell you now if you haven't watched it yet, I'd hold off until the next season comes out. I still remember one that stood out in my younger days. The Empire Strikes Back really irritated me. I was 19 when I saw it and I remember walking out of that theater worried that I might die before I find out what happened. It was pretty unlikely then, but now the odds are more in favor of that possibility. I just don't think that increases the chance of fans coming back the next season.

I am okay with an in season 2 parter but this wait a year stuff suxs. My wife and I decided to hold off on Mission Impossible because they advertised it as a two parter. And what about those shows they cancel on that freaking cliffhanger.

The Lincoln Lawyer did it how it should be done. Finish a story then give you a taste of the next story for the finale.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
After I watched The Empire Strikes Back all I could think about was Leia kissed Luke back during the Star Wars movie.

Uhh...Yeah.

We are just about the same age.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Finished the Strange New Worlds season and that just pizzed me off. I tell you now if you haven't watched it yet, I'd hold off until the next season comes out. I still remember one that stood out in my younger days. The Empire Strikes Back really irritated me. I was 19 when I saw it and I remember walking out of that theater worried that I might die before I find out what happened. It was pretty unlikely then, but now the odds are more in favor of that possibility. I just don't think that increases the chance of fans coming back the next season.

I am okay with an in season 2 parter but this wait a year stuff suxs. My wife and I decided to hold off on Mission Impossible because they advertised it as a two parter. And what about those shows they cancel on that freaking cliffhanger.

The Lincoln Lawyer did it how it should be done. Finish a story then give you a taste of the next story for the finale.
Serial movies and cliffhangers were first done in the 1930's. Your antagonist is already dead.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Who shot JR?

Hated the cliff hanger.

Loved that during Spock's fight with the Gorn they played some of the same music used when Kirk fought the Gorn captain in "The Arena."

Reactions: Dawgg

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I used to really enjoy tv series until about the end of the 3rd or 4th season of walking dead when it ended with the douchbag swinging a barbed wire baseball bat into an unknown characters head. And I realized I would have to wait almost a year to find out who got brain smashed. Then I realized I was getting played by the “Stay tuned to see what happens next” ala days of our lives cable network bs and quit watching all tv series altogether.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Serial movies and cliffhangers were first done in the 1930's. Your antagonist is already dead.
That's why I said erased from history so it never would have been done. And there is a difference between finishing the thought and...

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
I used to really enjoy tv series until about the end of the 3rd or 4th season of walking dead when it ended with the douchbag swinging a barbed wire baseball bat into an unknown characters head. And I realized I would have to wait almost a year to find out who got brain smashed. Then I realized I was getting played by the “Stay tuned to see what happens next” ala days of our lives cable network bs and quit watching all tv series altogether.
I made it all the way until the “I’m Alpha “ in a very prototypical Southern accent season finally, then I was out. TWD was mostly a pretty good zombie series, but damn that was the the end of me watching my “stories” on Sunday night.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

The person that invented it and erased from
History is

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
😆 I don't care about that. It probably did end with a cliffhanger last year. I just want it to end.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Hell 24 did it after every episode. I never got into it when it was on live TV but ended up binging it on DVD from Blockbuster. I kept having to watch the next episode so much that I didn’t stop until 16 hours in. I told myself man it must have sucked to have to wait a whole week to see what happened.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m with you Bruce. That episode was going so well and when
they beamed back onto the Enterprise and it was just the main characters because the Gorn beamed the rest up
, I realized there wasn’t enough time left to wrap this up. No big last minute save coming. I audibly said “dammit!” when I saw “to be continued…”.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

larry hagman 80s GIF

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Agreed on the Lincoln Lawyer. Used to be, the "cliffhanger" was a new adventure after the previous one was concluded.

I think the modern cliffhanger came from "Who Shot JR?" Because of the writer's strike, they had about 5 months of cliffhanging instead of 2 or 3.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login