Whoever our next coach is

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
he needs to be someone who understands the importance of recruiting/retaining/working the portal and actually loves it. I heard an interview recently with Joe Burrow, he said when LSU was recruiting him out of HS, Eddy O called his brother every night (Joe doesn't like to talk on the phone).

We need a coach with that type of mentality and who will be relentless in recruiting. We've never prioritized that, while OM has. We've done well with developing players, but in this day of NIL/Portal, I'm worried that a 3 star we develop into a NFL prospect will jump at the best NIL offer.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you want to go the crootin route, we need a (like you said) Eddie O or Dabo. It's basically the CEO. They hire coordinators and totally turn that side of the ball over to them. Honestly, King Jackie was this type of coach too, if I had to pick a role for him. He was never really a coordinator, like the ones above. He was a smooth talker and players liked him. I honestly think Croom could have probably thrived in this role, but unfortunately he wanted to Arnett things up and control the offense.

So who are these guys that we could get? Joe Judge, maybe? I don't know if he's got a recruiter personality but he's a CEO type (I think) and has/had an NFL pedigree. Tony Hughes? He'd really need to lean in to crootin, because he couldn't win at JSU. Pete Carroll? Too old.

And once we get that guy, what's the strategy for crootin? Because while Jackie raised the talent level, we still missed on a ton of croots back in those days, and most MS kids went out of state. He went into Georgia if I remember correctly, and then obviously the JUCOs.

Eh....I still say we need to adopt an offensive system and recruit specifically to that.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you want to go the crootin route, we need a (like you said) Eddie O or Dabo. It's basically the CEO. They hire coordinators and totally turn that side of the ball over to them. Honestly, King Jackie was this type of coach too, if I had to pick a role for him.

Obviously none of those coaches are in play, but we need a HC who understands recruiting and will turn himself over to the dark side to be successful. Mullen, Spurrier Sr, and Leach were so good they didn't have to demean themselves to get players, but those type coaches are few and far between.

Eh....I still say we need to adopt an offensive system and recruit specifically to that.
I don't know if this is possible, some offenses will not work at high level without a dynamic QB who is suited to that particular system. I think even Leach realized the AR in its current format needed to be updated and was going to put more of a rushing attack in. Football evolves, being a stubborn coach like Croom and tied to one system may not be the best approach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Obviously none of those coaches are in play, but we need a HC who understands recruiting and will turn himself over to the dark side to be successful. Mullen, Spurrier Sr, and Leach were so good they didn't have to demean themselves to get players, but those type coaches are few and far between.
Matt Wyatt said today that he would prefer the CEO coach as well. He leans toward a very visible guy who everybody is accountable to, and lets the coordinators do what they do. I mean why not, we haven't done it since the Kang. And this person will need to have a very specific strategy about crootin, and that includes getting butts in seats because that helps crootin more than anything. That's how Clemson did it, they have been filling up their stadium for 30 years, ever since their title in 1980. See, we don't have that title that people remember. That's why I am cautious about going this route. And as far as the dark side, I think we are WAY more likely to have success with NIL and the portal in basketball and baseball.

I just see this going a lot of ways. Deion is this type of coach. So is like Herm Edwards, and that didn't work out too well. I just don't know, I'm not convinced. Kang went out and got beefy OL and big tailbacks, but again, his tenure was up and down, same as Mullen and Leach. So we have 3 different examples there of the CEO, fundamentalist, and the system.

I don't know if this is possible, some offenses will not work at high level without a dynamic QB who is suited to that particular system. I think even Leach realized the AR in its current format needed to be updated and was going to put more of a rushing attack in. Football evolves, being a stubborn coach like Croom and tied to one system may not be the best approach.
Like I've always said, a QB who is accurate and can also run, makes any offensive set look elite. To me, it's all about what actual players we can truly get year in, year out. I don't really know if there is an answer to this, especially in this day and age where our fans abandon ship at the first sign of trouble.

Maybe this is the question - out of Kang, Mullen and Leach - who is the best fit for us? And funny enough, our fans wanted all 3 of them gone at varying points during their tenure. See what I mean about bad culture?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Maybe this is the question - out of Kang, Mullen and Leach - who is the best fit for us? And funny enough, our fans wanted all 3 of them gone at varying points during their tenure. See what I mean about bad culture?
Mullen was the best of those three (at MSU), but had Mike had this year, he may have had that 10 win regular season. That's no slight agains JWS, he was great, I think burnout brought him down. There's very few Saban's that can keep that fire burning intensely for decades. Most coaches are like 99.9% of us, get to a certain level of success and tend to look for an easier path. That' why I'm against rehiring Mullen, I'm scared he's made too much money to get his fire back.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login