Who's your favorite football recruit in the 24' class?......

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sometimes a player not so highly rated sticks out to me that you wouldn't normally think had star potential. But the more I look at Jay Lindsey's film, the more I am impressed. Sure, the argument here is he played in Alabama academy type ball, but I still see something in him that could really translate to ZA's new offensive strategy which will involve the TE a lot more. I see that big Iowa type TE that is always getting highly drafted in the NFL. I see that "Jimmy Webb" mentality (for those old enough to remember Jimmy). Or maybe even a little "Drago" (Duncan McKenzie's boy) who displayed great size, speed, and explosiveness on the field. Yeah.....I'm gonna pick Jay Lindsey as my dark horse of the class. I was surprised to see a player rated around a .8500 gather a BAMA offer. But once you look at all his films, I can see that maybe even BAMA was afraid of missing on a gem, so they went ahead and offered a home state player who could have star potential. His films show reckless abandon and mashing blocks through the whistle that I like to see in a player. I think we may have us something here. Of course, JMHO.

Reactions: retire the banner

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m excited about seeing multiple WR studs on the field and seeing what that does for our offense.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
My favorite player is Chris Davis, but unfortunately he’s going elsewhere. Favorite guy currently in the class is Jimothy Lewis. Not just because a name like Jimothy is incredible, but mainly because it sent violently shook the OM fan base.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you offered me $1mil ea for both their first and last names, I'd still be as broke after the question as I was before. I mean there's still a whole season for them to play and 11 months to go during which they can still flip, several times even. Get back to me in Sept of '24 and let's see who shows up then I'll decide

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
If you offered me $1mil ea for both their first and last names, I'd still be as broke after the question as I was before. I mean there's still a whole season for them to play and 11 months to go during which they can still flip, several times even. Get back to me in Sept of '24 and let's see who shows up then I'll decide
The schtick on this message board is to be dismissive and negative about recruiting and I don’t get it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The schtick on this message board is to be dismissive and negative about recruiting and I don’t get it.
Well, since someone's "commitment" no longer means a damn thing, I just don't like hanging on every move that a pimple faced, hat switching, 16 or 17 yr old drama queen makes for the next 13 months. We're talking about kids that have never been away from home, never been without Mama, or grandma or girlfriend or daddy. They will change their minds (more than once), their relatives, coaches and counselors will change their minds for them (more than once). NIL dollars will change their minds, fans in the community will try to change their minds, the Yancy Porters and Rosebowls of the World will inflate their egos, current players moving in and out of the portal will alter their thoughts. So, why should I worry myself about all that drama and pick a "favorite recruit in the class of '24" now until their name is on the dotted line and they're tucked into bed for their first night on campus in Fall of '24?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
And Jimmy Webb was a DL, not TE.
I knew that, but wasn't referring to position. Read my post again.....slowly. Was talking about the intensity and explosiveness of a Jimmy Webb. However, Mr. Lindsey played DL and DE as well as TE in high school. So I guess that could apply even though you tried to make out my post as a horrific mistake.

Last edited:

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
and "Duncan McKenzies boy" was Johnathan (where'd Drago come from) and he was a DE at MSU
Again......I knew that as well as you did. And....right on cue. I wasn't talking about the position. NOT THE POSITION. About the mentality of the playa!

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I knew that, but wasn't referring to position. Read my post again.....slowly. Was talking about the intensity and explosiveness of a Jimmy Webb. However, Mr. Lindsey played DL and DE as well as TE in high school. So I guess that could apply even though you tried to make out my post as a horrific mistake.
Damn - Astro I think need to go drink a Bud Light, maybe eat some more BBQ.
He a bit sensitive on this 4th of July. 😎

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Damn - Astro I think need to go drink a Bud Light, maybe eat some more BBQ.
He a bit sensitive on this 4th of July. 😎
Just gets tiring with posters who don't read and comprehend what you're saying. Happens too often. Now had I tried to compare Jay Lindsey's attributes with our placekicker....or a QB, or even a DB, then yeah, I should be called out for the misstep. But don't despair.....I'm sure Bud Light will make a comeback, LOL!

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
The "I don't follow recruiting/Get back to me when they're drafted in 2028 before I get excited" replies to recruiting posts are my favorite.

Unless we go in the tank this fall, the vast majority, if not all, of the committed players will sign in December/February.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
had I tried to compare Jay Lindsey's attributes with our placekicker....or a QB, or even a DB, then yeah, I should be called out for the misstepAgain......I knew that as well as you did. And....right on cue. I wasn't talking about the position. NOT THE POSITION. About the mentality of the playa!
What's the difference in "had I tried to compare Jay Lindsey's attributes with our placekicker....or a QB, or even a DB, then yeah, I should be called out for the misstep", but then you compared him to Jimmy Webb and Johnathan McKenzie, 2 defensive linemen? No difference at all.

Call us confused but when you use the following descriptions and then start naming defensive players from almost 50 years ago and 14 years ago, didn't make sense. Surely you have seen some explosive offensive players here sooner than 50 years ago you could have used?

You start w/ this:

"translate to ZA's new offensive strategy which will involve the TE a lot more"

"I see that big Iowa type TE"

Then you switch gears w/ no notice to this:

"I see that "Jimmy Webb" mentality (a DL)"

"Or maybe even a little "Drago" (Duncan McKenzie's boy)
also a DL)"

Then you turn around again and go offense again with:

"His films show reckless abandon and mashing blocks through the whistle"

Falling Down Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

That's called jumping from one side of the fence to the other. Sorry we were so confused.......

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Because of history. We lose the optics side of recruiting more often than not. Now for the actual on the field results of recruiting, I’d say we’ve been pretty good at it over the last 15 years.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
What's the difference in "had I tried to compare Jay Lindsey's attributes with our placekicker....or a QB, or even a DB, then yeah, I should be called out for the misstep", but then you compared him to Jimmy Webb and Johnathan McKenzie, 2 defensive linemen? No difference at all.

Call us confused but when you use the following descriptions and then start naming defensive players from almost 50 years ago and 14 years ago, didn't make sense. Surely you have seen some explosive offensive players here sooner than 50 years ago you could have used?

You start w/ this:

"translate to ZA's new offensive strategy which will involve the TE a lot more"

"I see that big Iowa type TE"

Then you switch gears w/ no notice to this:

"I see that "Jimmy Webb" mentality (a DL)"

"Or maybe even a little "Drago" (Duncan McKenzie's boy) also a DL)"

Then you turn around again and go offense again with:

"His films show reckless abandon and mashing blocks through the whistle"

That's called jumping from one side of the fence to the other. Sorry we were so confused.......I
Ok, so you feel a punter or PK should have the same attributes as a lineman. I am so sorry. I didn't see what you meant. Ok, lets start over to satisfy the Peeper. IMO, Jay Lindsey has the size, speed, and toughness to catch passes over the middle and break tackles for long gains. He reminds me of Nick Barr-Mira in so many ways. If Jay can replicate Nick's game then we will be in even better shape as both can interchange with each other. I find dual position players as a definite plus. Both Jay and Nick display the similar skillsets we need to win games. It's very promising that if Jay goes down to injury, Nick Barr-Mira can step right in with no drop off what so ever. Both of these players are my dark horse players as they both can replace each other should one go down. Go Dogs!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login