Why all the stupid Air Raid questions and opinions?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I don’t understand why people question it. My favorite statement is “if you tackle in open space it won’t work”. State isn’t getting a lot of yards from broken tackles in the middle. They make hay throwing 6-15 yards per play while getting tackled within a few yards. If you are averaging that many yards each play consistently how can it not work?

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
We have a bunch of YAC for the reason that you say. We throw it 50-70 times a game, many of those passes at or near the line of scrimmage and they get 5-15 yards. But it isn't an explosive offense with huge chunk plays. That Heath TD last game is our only play over 50 yards this season if im not mistaken.

But, as Rogers confidence has grown and he's pushing the ball farther downfield, it is definitely opening things up. Hopefully next year we start seeing more chunk plays as the offense gains more and more confidence and experience.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Because we are supposed to run the ball 75 times a game and lose 3-2.** You know.....the manly way.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Even without chunk plays, consistent gains move the chains and red zone plays are necessarily relatively short gains for any team. I also expect to see more 15+ plays as the teams grows but even the dink and dunk is working pretty damn good. If Rogers and Co. are at their floor I think they can win a lot of big games provided the team just cleans up the dumb mistakes and special teams woes that keeps them from being 10-1 right now.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's just not much of a big play, exciting offense to watch. Maybe that changes with improved OL play. Skill guys won't be the problem.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's basically the same as a run-heavy ball control offense

Eat up clock. Get consistent 5 yards a play. It's just high percentage passes vs handoffs. Like a run-heavy offense, when it works it's beautiful because you score points and limit opportunity for you opponent. When it doesn't work, like any offense really, it's ugly as hell.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When Alabama was at their most dominant (2009-2012), their offense accomplished the exact same things. Ball control, run clock and consistent gains, with a big gainer here or there. This allowed their defense to stay fresh and even more dominant. Once they started the high flying stuff, their defense suffered. Of course, they were good enough to overcome it due to their players, but that's not going to be the formula for all the other mortal teams.

While big explosive plays feel good, they can tire out your defense, as they don't get many breaks. This lends itself to more track meets. Your team gets softer. See what happened to Texas A&M under Sumlin.

Mississippi State should NEVER EVER EVER attempt to win track meets.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
We have a bunch of YAC for the reason that you say. We throw it 50-70 times a game, many of those passes at or near the line of scrimmage and they get 5-15 yards. But it isn't an explosive offense with huge chunk plays. That Heath TD last game is our only play over 50 yards this season if im not mistaken.

But, as Rogers confidence has grown and he's pushing the ball farther downfield, it is definitely opening things up. Hopefully next year we start seeing more chunk plays as the offense gains more and more confidence and experience.

Personally, I love the ball control, time consuming possessions that give our defense lots of rest and keep the opponent's offense off the field. That is a winning formula.

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
My favorite thing about the Air Raid is that when it is working it is essentially a ball control offense. I am pretty sure we have lead time of possesion in almost every game this season. This will be a key stat if we beat Ole Miss tomorrow.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The only game this season we haven’t led in time of possession was the Tennessee State game, and that’s because we outmatched them so much athletically we hit numerous big plays and had quick scoring drives. We are ranked in the top 10 nationally in TOP, and hopefully that continues tomorrow, keeping Corral and company off the field.

Sep 9, 2012
People overthink this. The air raid is just like any offensive system. If executed properly, there is no secret magic formula to “stop it.” It all comes down to execution. Leach is just the master of this offense and a great teacher that knows how to get it done.

“All you have to do to stop the air raid is dominate the LOS. Get pressure and stop the run with four guys or less. Then be disciplined in the second level and make tackles.”

Well guess what? 1) That is easier said than done and 2) is that not how you can stop any offense? I can’t think of any offensive system that will work if the defense can dominate up front with just a few guys and the back 7-8 are in the right spot making tackles.

Sep 9, 2012
It's just not much of a big play, exciting offense to watch. Maybe that changes with improved OL play. Skill guys won't be the problem.

The air raid can absolutely be a big play offense if that is what the defense gives you. But when everyone plays 2-3 safeties in the deep third all game every game, then we are going to eat people alive short and intermediate… Which is what we’ve done for the past month and a half. We have been so efficient in the 0-20 yard range because we have so much space to operate with.

If/when defenses change their strategy, then you will see more big plays. But no offense is going to get a lot of 50+ yard plays when defenses play us like they have been, unless there is a huge talent gap.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
That’s exactly what I was thinking, the so called answer for the air raid is basically the same with any other offense. Execution and skill. If the defense can beat your o line with minimal effort then they will stop whatever play you have called. Leach runs this offense better than anyone so he will expose whatever deficiencies your defense has because his guys will be ready. And for the Egg Bowl tie-in, I believe this MSU offense is far better at their jobs then OM defense is at theirs. Dawgs by 14!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login