Why are people using the offense change as a con point for the football team?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's MUCH easier to go from a passing team to a running team. We have huge offensive linemen who are used to doing the most difficult thing for them to do, pass blocking, with line splits that you could drive a dump truck through. Do you all remember the transition from the Croom Coast to Danny? It was nearly seamless. But not when we went from Danny to Slophead and ultimately Leach.

It's way more difficult to go from a running team to a passing team. That takes literally like 4 years most of the time because you have to bring in the linemen necessary to do it. But those linemen can easily learn to run block.

As long as Arnett/Barbay don't try to overcomplicate stuff, we should be rolling with the personnel we have. Bottom line if we suck on offense this year then Arnett will be gone before the end of year 3.

Both Texas Tech and Washington State had similar seasons to Leach's last season, the following year. For WSU, I'm talking 2021, they only played 3 in 2020. That means he leaves a good program for the next guy.

I'm not saying the Barbay offense will be running at its best. But it should not suck, at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
It's MUCH easier to go from a passing team to a running team. We have huge offensive linemen who are used to doing the most difficult thing for them to do, pass blocking, with line splits that you could drive a dump truck through. Do you all remember the transition from the Croom Coast to Danny? It was nearly seamless. But not when we went from Danny to Slophead and ultimately Leach.

It's way more difficult to go from a running team to a passing team. That takes literally like 4 years most of the time because you have to bring in the linemen necessary to do it. But those linemen can easily learn to run block.

As long as Arnett/Barbay don't try to overcomplicate stuff, we should be rolling with the personnel we have. Bottom line if we suck on offense this year then Arnett will be gone before the end of year 3.

Both Texas Tech and Washington State had similar seasons to Leach's last season, the following year. For WSU, I'm talking 2021, they only played 3 in 2020. That means he leaves a good program for the next guy.

I'm not saying the Barbay offense will be running at its best. But it should not suck, at all.
I don’t know if it’s going to be a good offense or not, but I do know that the offense we have been watching wasn’t good and we have been able to still manage to win football games with a solid defense so I will just assume we can at a minimum keep doing that like we have been for the past decade and a half or so.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur! I think it's easy print for beat writers and talking points for talking heads. Especially with new HC and OC.

This transition should go fairly smooth.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I think the offense will be fine. I think some of the talking points that some SEC/National media are pushing are more related to just not knowing if it will work or not which ironically was the same talking point when Leach came to Starkville.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The sports writers look for any reason to **** on state. Even the SEC network commentators hate having to say anything good about us. You can see it on their faces when State is good or not. They love talking about us when State sucks.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I think the offense will be fine. I think some of the talking points that some SEC/National media are pushing are more related to just not knowing if it will work or not which ironically was the same talking point when Leach came to Starkville.

I'm not sure there is a concern with the offensive change as much as the change in leadership of the program. We've seen over and over the hot offensive and defensive minds come into head coaching positions and fall on their faces.

Under Leach we were extraordinarily well run as a program comparatively. You rarely heard about our guys getting in trouble. His practices had the reputation of being very efficient. Everyone knew who was in charge. He knew what he wanted in his staff.

We know Arnett can run a defense. It's the other things that will determine his success.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not sure there is a concern with the offensive change as much as the change in leadership of the program. We've seen over and over the hot offensive and defensive minds come into head coaching positions and fall on their faces.

Under Leach we were extraordinarily well run as a program comparatively. You rarely heard about our guys getting in trouble. His practices had the reputation of being very efficient. Everyone knew who was in charge. He knew what he wanted in his staff.

We know Arnett can run a defense. It's the other things that will determine his success.
That shouldn't manifest itself enough to matter in year 1. Especially when it's a continuation of the previous coach. I don't expect Arnett to change much of anything as far as discipline and culture in regards to how Leach did it, unless it's to make it harder. That, like the offensive change, doesn't hold water for 2023.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I know we all like to pretend we have been fielding an outstanding defense but in 21 we ranked 62 and in 22 we moved up to 35. Not that amazing to me. 35 is fairly good, 62 is garbage honestly.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's not like we are going to the Wishbone or the Power I. We are still going to be passing the ball a lot. I think it's going to look a lot like it did in the games where we mixed in the run some last year, you know the ones that the offense actually looked competitive in.

Reactions: campshelbydog1116

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I know we all like to pretend we have been fielding an outstanding defense but in 21 we ranked 62 and in 22 we moved up to 35. Not that amazing to me. 35 is fairly good, 62 is garbage honestly.
I am glad someone pointed this out. All I have read and heard all off season is how great the defense was, and do not get me wrong, it was good but there are folks on here acting like we had the zombie 85 bears. Along with being the Devil I have also been a offensive line coach at the high school level for the last 15 years, and I can tell you that lineman find it much easier to fire off and run block. I know that is a duh statement for some on here but I like what I have seen the new OC seems to believe in balance. I do not want to be an Air Raid team that throws the ball all the time, not saying some of those concepts should not be used in this offense, and I do not want to be an heavy down hill run team given that we have seen where that will get us. I love that balance seems to be the name of the game now.

One of my high school teams could just not throw a few years back, and our head coach was up my butt about why can we not run the ball more efficiently. Finally I melted down during a coaches meeting and told him there are nine goddamn people in the box because everybody knows we can't throw and I have six (with a TE) to block that. What we obviously lacked was balance dictating the box. I am excited to have a blended offense that relies on balance to dictate the kind of boxes that we will get.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think some of it is people trying to be respectful toward Leach. He was one of the great offensive minds in college football history so it’s only natural to wonder if we will drop off now that he is no longer with us, especially if you aren’t super dialed in to what our offense was last year.

I personally think we will be fine in the long haul but it’s fair to have questions.

Reactions: 60sdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am glad someone pointed this out. All I have read and heard all off season is how great the defense was, and do not get me wrong it was good but there are folks on here acting like we had the zombie 85 bears. Along with being the Devil I have also been a offensive line coach at the high school level for the last 15 years, and I can tell you that lineman find it much easier to fire off and run block. I know that is a duh statement for some on here but I like what I have seen the new OC seems to believe in balance. I do not want to be an Air Raid team that throws the ball all the time, not saying some of those concepts should not be used in this offense, and I do not want to be an heavy down hill run team given that we have seen where that will get us. I love that balance seems to be the name of the game now.

One of my high school teams could just not throw a few years back, and our head coach was up my butt about why can we not run the ball more efficiently. Finally I melted down during a coaches meeting and told him there are nine goddamn people in the box because everybody knows we can't throw and I have six (with a TE) to block that. What we obviously lacked was balance dictating the box. I am excited to have a blended offense that relies on balance to dictate the kind of boxes that we will get.
A lot of it depends on what the QB can do. That is why Dak was so deadly. Even though technically Fitzgerald was a better runner, many times that got neutralized due to his inability to throw, whereas Dak could run well above average but still sit back there and be accurate. I know, I know, easy to say that when Dak obviously had an NFL-caliber skill set.

So, relating this to a strategy State should shoot for.....I'd say that skillset is like Chris Parson at best (as far as ranking) and Nicky Fitz at the low end. Runner who can throw semi-throw. Does this always project to the NFL? No, but we have to think differently at MSU. We most likely aren't going to sign the known NFL prospects. We need to be after the Pat Whites, etc. I honestly don't think we'll be able to consistently sign guys as highly rated as Chris Parson because let's face it, a big part of his recruitment was the Leach name cache and his family ties to Starkville (and FSU's screwup).

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
And our record adjusted accordingly from 21 to 22. Arnett’s defense was getting better the longer he was here and got his guys in the program. Leach’s offense regressed from 21 to 22 and our win total went up because our defense was so much better.
I think some of it is people trying to be respectful toward Leach. He was one of the great offensive minds in college football history so it’s only natural to wonder if we will drop off now that he is no longer with us, especially if you aren’t super dialed in to what our offense was last year.

I personally think we will be fine in the long haul but it’s fair to have questions.
Leach the head coach at MSU was great. Leach the OC at MSU was not good. The offense was rarely working against anyone that wasn’t awful on defense.

Reactions: patdog

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Any change in the way of doing things comes with a learning curve. I think it is all up in the air. Anyone saying we’re going to win or lose a certain amount of games is just spit balling. They don’t know. This is one of those years where no outcome would surprise me.

I think we have the talent to be a good team. The rest is on the coaches. I’ll hope for the best.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
And our record adjusted accordingly from 21 to 22. Arnett’s defense was getting better the longer he was here and got his guys in the program. Leach’s offense regressed from 21 to 22 and our win total went up because our defense was so much better.

Leach the head coach at MSU was great. Leach the OC at MSU was not good. The offense was rarely working against anyone that wasn’t awful on defense.

I was pretty pleased with the offense in ‘21 (outside of the Egg Bowl in the rain and the bowl game) but do agree that we took a step back in ‘22.

Rogers had a stretch in October-November of ‘21 where he was playing at an unreal level, on par with some of what we saw from Dak. I am hoping we can see him back at that level this year.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It's an emotional deal with those like me and others who still hurt. I've suffered like all here with worse personal family losses but I've never had my sports nuts kicked as hard with Leach. Can make things hard to move on.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I am glad someone pointed this out. All I have read and heard all off season is how great the defense was, and do not get me wrong it was good but there are folks on here acting like we had the zombie 85 bears. Along with being the Devil I have also been a offensive line coach at the high school level for the last 15 years, and I can tell you that lineman find it much easier to fire off and run block. I know that is a duh statement for some on here but I like what I have seen the new OC seems to believe in balance. I do not want to be an Air Raid team that throws the ball all the time, not saying some of those concepts should not be used in this offense, and I do not want to be an heavy down hill run team given that we have seen where that will get us. I love that balance seems to be the name of the game now.

I have pointed it out before. People drool all over Arnett like he is running the 2018 defense. Don't get me wrong, I like him but c'mon now

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I have pointed it out before. People drool all over Arnett like he is running the 2018 defense. Don't get me wrong, I like him but c'mon now

I think a lot of it goes back to 2020 when everyone thought we would have the worst defense in school history and we actually ended up being pretty decent. Plus our fans have just connected really well with his no BS personality.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just think how bad *** 2018 defense would have been with Arnett running it.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Any change in the way of doing things comes with a learning curve. I think it is all up in the air. Anyone saying we’re going to win or lose a certain amount of games is just spit balling. They don’t know. This is one of those years where no outcome would surprise me.

I think we have the talent to be a good team. The rest is on the coaches. I’ll hope for the best.
I’m optimistic that this is the main reason our recruiting is currently not great. No results to speak of yet. I think we’ll be pretty good next year but to stay good we’re going to have to get some good players. (I’m also sure the NIL situation isn’t helping.)

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
The simple reality is that our offense is an unknown right now. We can all guess and speculate but anyone who thinks they know for sure whether our offense or defense is going to be better or worse is just talking out of their ***.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
-New young head coach, never been one before.
-Unproven tight ends at a school that hasn't seen one on the field in 3 seasons.
-Running backs that although seem good, have been injury prone and largely unused.
-Receivers that for most part haven't caught many passes individually who will now be running downfield routes instead of "dink and dunks".
-Quarterback that has thrown almost nothing but "dink and dunks" the last 3 seasons now has to throw downfield which he hasn't proven he can
-Only 2 punters and 2 Kickers on the roster, all 4 new. Can't be much worse than the past. 1 punter Tr Fresh Rugby style from Australia.
-Mostly new staff. New offensive coordinator, w/ only 2 yrs experience as one. New defensive coordinator w/ no previous DC experience, working under former DC. New receivers coach w/ only 3 seasons of experience

There are bright spots and pluses but these are why I'm only mildly optimistic

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login