Why are "scripted" plays to start the game more successful? Discuss**

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The A Team 80S GIF

Reactions: aTotal360

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Are they more successful? When we ran scripted plays in high school, we ran them until we 17ed up or the defense stopped us or we finished them. So if we came in and stayed ahead of the chains, we ran plays quickly in succession no huddle and it looked like scripted plays worked great. MOre typically, some dubmass would forget what play we were supposed to be running by the second play or we would just get stuffed, and we would have to call off the scripted plays and make a play call that fit the situation. All that to say, maybe scripted plays work because when they don't, you don't know they were supposed to be running scripted plays.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
As Howard Cosell once said "I never played the game" but I assume (1) repetition and (2) some defensive weakness that's been recognized in film to be exploited.

I wonder how often a good defensive coach comes out in some scheme that completely blows up the plan. Seems like this is something Bellichick, Saban, and even Stoops would be good at.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
They are probably ran and practiced. They players know what it is ahead of time and know what they are supposed to do.

I know this is supposed to be every play.. but some players flat forget their assignments in the heat of the moment when the play is just communicated.

When they are scripted.. you have a walkthrough with them and the players get time to absorb their task. If they have forgot, it’s corrected in practice and not just a mistake on the field.

all of this assuming they actually script the plays before last practice of course.

another explanation is the ability to run them up tempo along with being more precise.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
It has nothing to do with repetition or what the players practice. It’s simply because the defense (usually) is feeling things out. You don’t typically bring the house from all different directions on the first drive of game.

Even as a player on an individual level, you adjust to the two or three different guys that are blocking you as the game goes on. You may be able to whip the guy in front of you but there is a ton is misdirection and you are running yourself out of play.

Reactions: HRMSU

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I saw a Bill Walsh interview on this years ago. He said it was:

1. The offense was more comfortable knowing what was coming & those plays were better practiced.

2. It took emotion out of the play calling. He tended to stick to his plan for testing a defensive tendency he saw on film or running a play to set up something later in the game better if scripted.

3. It allowed him to be more creative and break tendencies early that the D would not prepare for.

Reactions: dawgstudent

patdog

May 28, 2007
I saw a Bill Walsh interview on this years ago. He said it was:

1. The offense was more comfortable knowing what was coming & those plays were better practiced.

2. It took emotion out of the play calling. He tended to stick to his plan for testing a defensive tendency he saw on film or running a play to set up something later in the game better if scripted.

3. It allowed him to be more creative and break tendencies early that the D would not prepare for.
I think this is the best answer I’ve seen.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login