Why are the 1 seeds playing the afternoon games

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Also, just in case you lose, you don't want to be playing the early elimination game the day after playing a night game.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I was actually wondering why some of the one seeds chose to play tonight. Thought it was fairly standard strategy to go first these days for the reasons shared above.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
8 years ago, 97 degrees, sitting in DNF, I was wondering the same thing. But yeah, it’s the strategy of getting more rest, like everybody else here has said.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I was actually wondering why some of the one seeds chose to play tonight. Thought it was fairly standard strategy to go first these days for the reasons shared above.
Plus, baseball was meant to be played during daylight hours.

It's so much easier to hit in a day game.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I could see an advantage if it was brutally hot, but none of these regionals with 1s playing later are uncomfortably hot. The only thing I can think of is they wanted to give their fans a better chance to show up.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I doubt it. Don’t know the stats, but hitters can absolutely see the ball much better in daylight.
I was curious so did a little research. This data is a little old (2017), but suggests not much changes in terms of hitters consistency, and that possibly pitchers perform very slightly better in the daytime. Possibly, because 4 teams had an inordinate number of day games that season. I really thought it would be pretty drastic for both hitters and pitchers.

Reactions: dog12 and patdog

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

The host school can voice their preference on whether they want Game 1 or Game 2 but the NCAA/ESPN have the final say.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Play earlier, rest sooner, and avoid the potential rain delays that seem to always be a part of at least a couple of regionals.
Man.. I don't know.. Maybe all that plays a factor. But these dudes have been playing weekend tournaments since they were 7 years old. My opinion? If you host, just play the damn game Friday night in front of a packed house.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Judging by the shadows on this field I’m wondering if it’s partially why UVa opted for the early game

patdog

May 28, 2007
Man.. I don't know.. Maybe all that plays a factor. But these dudes have been playing weekend tournaments since they were 7 years old. My opinion? If you host, just play the damn game Friday night in front of a packed house.
If it rains and you only get 1 game in, you want to make sure that’s your game. Also, don’t care how old you are, a day game after a night game can be a little sluggish.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
This was a trend that got started many years back, and since the home host had it's option (or #1 seed),
many have followed.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I was curious so did a little research. This data is a little old (2017), but suggests not much changes in terms of hitters consistency, and that possibly pitchers perform very slightly better in the daytime. Possibly, because 4 teams had an inordinate number of day games that season. I really thought it would be pretty drastic for both hitters and pitchers.

I'm really out of touch with present-day baseball. I have no clue what any of those stats are.

FP??? +/-???

I've never seen these stats before.

Reactions: dorndawg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login