Why do we sub four players at a time?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
for it. It's the dumbest thing i've ever seen. It basically leaves us hapless for a four minute stretch just trying to survive and not give up too many points.

M

MsuD00D

The only time Stans subs for the bigs is around the 13 minute mark. That way Charles and Jarvis are only out for a minute or 2 at most, but get the extended rest for the under 12 timeout. Lately he's been subbing in Ravern and Riley or Phil too so it is Jamont and 4 subs. Then after the timeout he'll bring the starters back in and let Randy spell Jamont at the point for a minute or 2.

It's a totally obvious pattern and it happens every game. I was shocked to see Phil in there in the 2nd half because in most games down the stretch our starters have played all 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

We got some nice production out of Brian Johnson tonight, but that kind of substitution pattern does not allow our reserve guards to really make any kind of impact because they are coming out of the game as soon as the under 12 timeout occurs. Ravern has been wasted this year. Not saying he should be a starter by any stretch of the imagination, but his athleticism is easily good enough for 4-10 points off the bench each time out if he could get more PT.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
We are playing like complete total **** right now so let's just fire our coach who averages over 20 wins a season. Yep, that should do it. We'll just bring Dean Smith out of retirement and get him to hire Bob Knight to be his assistant/recruiter. And then, we'll never lose another game. Ever.

Kalpatrick

Jul 2, 2007
in the first half of every game, regardless of the circumstances. He's been doing that for years. Once when Mario Austin had maybe 10 points in the first 5 minutes, out he came for Marcus Campbell at the 15:00 mark - it was in the game script.

The second half is a different situation. Quite frankly, I was amazed that he subbed at all in the second half tonight. Ususally this year the starters have to handle the entire second half, as well as any overtimes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login