Why does Clark

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Not bunt with the left side of the infield wide open.
not being able to bunt is absolutely not an excuse.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Do you really want a guy with Clark’s HR and extra base potential bunting? A guy like clark is not in the lineup to get bunt singles.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Do you really want a guy with Clark’s HR and extra base potential bunting? A guy like clark is not in the lineup to get bunt singles.
Yes.....if it improves his chance of getting on base.
A few of those "cheap hits" would make people rethink the shift.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yes.....if it improves his chance of getting on base.
A few of those "cheap hits" would make people rethink the shift.
I doubt it. We got some decent hitters but really only Hines and Clark scare you in terms of they could hit a HR in any at bat. If I’m an opposing coach, I’m not too bothered by Clark standing on first base.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
When an opposing coach does something to a batter as defensive strategy to a hitter, that hitter probably should not have that similar action be priority one. As I have said in the past all hitting is situational and having Clark leadoff sure does send mixed signals. In one game this week when Clark was 7th or 8th in the lineup they got the guy in front of him out for out number 2 (I think) and there was a runner on third. The coach intentionally walked Clark. That tells you the opposition is ok with him getting to first base because he could do so much more damage.

So generally I would agree that he should not be looking to walk. He should not give up his at bat for a bunt single in most situations. He and the other true power guys should be more aggressive at the plate. A walk is better than an out for sure, but there is so much more upside for Clark than a walk or bunt. Are there hitters in our lineup that should be very selective and work the count? Yes, but Hines, Clark and Jordan are not those hitters.

I doubt it. We got some decent hitters but really only Hines and Clark scare you in terms of they could hit a HR in any at bat. If I’m an opposing coach, I’m not too bothered by Clark standing on first base.
Dakota Jordan also

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When an opposing coach does something to a batter as defensive strategy to a hitter, that hitter probably should not have that similar action be priority one. As I have said in the past all hitting is situational and having Clark leadoff sure does send mixed signals. In one game this week when Clark was 7th or 8th in the lineup they got the guy in front of him out for out number 2 (I think) and there was a runner on third. The coach intentionally walked Clark. That tells you the opposition is ok with him getting to first base because he could do so much more damage.

So generally I would agree that he should not be looking to walk. He should not give up his at bat for a bunt single in most situations. He and the other true power guys should be more aggressive at the plate. A walk is better than an out for sure, but there is so much more upside for Clark than a walk or bunt. Are there hitters in our lineup that should be very selective and work the count? Yes, but Hines, Clark and Jordan are not those hitters.

Dakota Jordan also
Agree with all that. Just forgot about Jordan because he’s not in the lineup as much as he should be. That goes along with why is Clark lead off? Odd coaching decisions.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We are talking about a 261 career hitter, with an OPS of career right at 900 (which is below average for college baseball)

With his recent success of late he's hitting 291 this year with an OPS at 950.

The intentional walk of clark wasnt because he's some great hitter, its because the hitter behind him was so bad.

I agree with both sides, I do think there are times clark needs and should be bunting, ESPECIALLY against a LHP, but thtere are times its fine for him to give it a rip and see what type of damage he can do.

Regardless though, hes shown to be an average at best SEC hitter, and i hope this recent hot streak he's on carries on and maybe we can see some real improvement from him

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
We are talking about a 261 career hitter, with an OPS of career right at 900 (which is below average for college baseball)

With his recent success of late he's hitting 291 this year with an OPS at 950.

The intentional walk of clark wasnt because he's some great hitter, its because the hitter behind him was so bad.

I agree with both sides, I do think there are times clark needs and should be bunting, ESPECIALLY against a LHP, but thtere are times its fine for him to give it a rip and see what type of damage he can do.

Regardless though, hes shown to be an average at best SEC hitter, and i hope this recent hot streak he's on carries on and maybe we can see some real improvement from him
If he would just move off the plate. He absolutely kills himself.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
My deal with him is you just havent seen the jump you would expect from someone with his experience coming into the season. Which is why I'm hoping this recent streak is something he can sustain.

He's basically on pace this year to have a similar season as last year, which to me shows very little has changed in his mindset and his approach.

He's got 100K's in 400 At bats- his number this season are very similar to that. To me he's very much a mistake hitter right now and struggles mightly against LHP. I worry his recent success has been due to the fact he hasnt seen many LHPs.

I like him hitting 1st or 2nd against RHP. But on a good team he probably platooned and someone else is brought in against LHP. With our team, Id at the minimum move him to the 7-8-9 spots against LHP

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login