Why does Mississippi win these big games with some regularity, and we never do?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's not just a coach. Outside of a handful of players we don't have any talent on this team on either side of the ball. I'm sure glad we got Alabama LSU over with early in this season. Maybe we can salvage something from this season before Ole Miss beats the hell out of us.

Reactions: 17itdawg and patdog

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Ole miss is willing to do what it takes to win. Granted, tonight was Kiffins biggest win outside of a 7-5 Tennessee team in 2021. But they go get offensive playmakers, constantly recruit to upgrade the most important position on the field, create dynamic offenses, not afraid to spend on coaching and recruiting, push NIL, and upgrade their facilities, etc. We don’t do any of these things. Cohen set this program back years and Selmon will have to do a lot to fix it

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ole miss is willing to do what it takes to win. Granted, tonight was Kiffins biggest win outside of a 7-5 Tennessee team in 2021. But they go get offensive playmakers, constantly recruit to upgrade the most important position on the field, create dynamic offenses, not afraid to spend on coaching and recruiting, push NIL, and upgrade their facilities, etc. We don’t do any of these things. Cohen set this program back years and Selmon will have to do a lot to fix it
From what I’ve seen of Selmon so far, he’s worse than Cohen. Larry Templeton 2.0.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
From what I’ve seen of Selmon so far, he’s worse than Cohen. Larry Templeton 2.0.
Like Arnett, he may be in over his head. The non-firing of Lemonis is inexcusable. Either you want to win, or you don’t. We don’t.

And holy **** do I want both to succeed, but the early returns aren’t promising.

ETA: Our secondary is the worst in the FBS

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It's not just a coach. Outside of a handful of players we don't have any talent on this team on either side of the ball. I'm sure glad we got Alabama LSU over with early in this season. Maybe we can salvage something from this season before Ole Miss beats the hell out of us.
Based on what I’ve seen - we won’t!
Our season is over and it’s just now October.
I sure hope basketball is as good as we all hope and expect - I’m just not so sure?
Too many really good teams in the SEC.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Honestly I’d be embarrassed to be an ole miss fan for a litany of reasons, not the least of which is storming the field after beating a suspect LSU team. What a bunch of delta bravos…
I agree.
They embarrassed themselves after a good win by storming the field.
LSU wasn’t even a Top 10 team.

• Haha
Reactions: RecurveReb

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If Cohen set this program back years then Templeton set us back decades.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Their only real difference in the two rosters is offensive minded head coach and a mobile QB that can hit an open receiver and arm strength to stretch the field. You only have to defend 20 yards from the line of scrimmage against MSU.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Their only real difference in the two rosters is offensive minded head coach and a mobile QB that can hit an open receiver and arm strength to stretch the field. You only have to defend 20 yards from the line of scrimmage against MSU.
Quarterback? Surprising.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We embrace losing. From top to bottom. Someone from our defensive staff should be fired already. Only losers would accept it. We do.
This is it. If Zack Morris keeps trotting Will out there, we'll know that losing doesn't bother him that much. If winning is the most important thing to him he'll make changes and upset the apple cart.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Defensively, our personnel is WAY different. We have big beefy guys in the front 7. We can actually stop the run when we commit to it. Ole Miss can not stop the run. We can’t get a pass rush or cover anyone.

Ole Miss is FAST defensively. They have speed everywhere. They can rush the passer and they can cover. Because of their speed, they are better defensively than us.

Ole Miss and State Oline is equal. Mediocre. Their QBs are light years better. Their wide receivers are light years better as a group (we do have Tulu). Their running backs are better as a group. Their tight ends are better as a group. We have none. They better offensively and it’s not really close.

We have better special teams players and schemes.

Our personnel is not close. Speed kills. They have it. We don’t.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Like Arnett, he may be in over his head. The non-firing of Lemonis is inexcusable. Either you want to win, or you don’t. We don’t.

And holy **** do I want both to succeed, but the early returns aren’t promising.

ETA: Our secondary is the worst in the FBS
DL Is the main problem. No push at all. Every QB has time to eat a sandwich.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Defensively, our personnel is WAY different. We have big beefy guys in the front 7. We can actually stop the run when we commit to it. Ole Miss can not stop the run. We can’t get a pass rush or cover anyone.

Ole Miss is FAST defensively. They have speed everywhere. They can rush the passer and they can cover. Because of their speed, they are better defensively than us.

Ole Miss and State Oline is equal. Mediocre. Their QBs are light years better. Their wide receivers are light years better as a group (we do have Tulu). Their running backs are better as a group. Their tight ends are better as a group. We have none. They better offensively and it’s not really close.

We have better special teams players and schemes.

Our personnel is not close. Speed kills. They have it. We don’t.

Bingo. Our players are too slow to really compete against the football teams that we play. Think about it . . . in almost every one-on-one matchup, our opponent is much faster and can easily outrun the Mississippi State player.

That's just the way it is, and there's nothing we can do about it for the remainder of this season.

Sep 16, 2023
Simple. It’s more important to them.
the difference between winning big games and being content and embracing a 6-6 record and playing UTSA in the Idaho Potato Bowl

Last edited:
Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
gotta look at the ROI. Is $25M worth a win over LSU every few years and a bowl game? Admissions and enrollment, giving to the University... At some point the loss on NIL is not worth it honestly. You would be about the same with a team that sucks. For Vandy, its certainly not worth it, they already have what they need in areas mentioned.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
gotta look at the ROI. Is $25M worth a win over LSU every few years and a bowl game? Admissions and enrollment, giving to the University... At some point the loss on NIL is not worth it honestly. You would be about the same with a team that sucks. For Vandy, its certainly not worth it, they already have what they need in areas mentioned.
I wonder what Wazzu & Oregon State would say?

Deltaduckhunter

Feb 25, 2017
They really haven't won more big games than us in recent history. I seem to remember Leach winning more big games against ranked opponents than Kiffin did during the same time-span. Before this win, I would say Kiffin's biggest win might have been against Arkansas?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The answer is simple. They hire dynamic offensive coaches and recruit explosive players. And we just don't.
The same reason they have a huge let down loss right after most of those big wins - they feed off emotion. Just like their head coaches. Just like their fans.

If the Razorbacks just follow the script, the universe will be back in balance this week.

Reactions: stateu1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login