Why does State continually whiff on every other coach...................

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Since Tyler/Bellard?
Rocky
Croom
Mo
Coach No Experience

This process cannot be this hard to find and hire an outstanding coach

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We whiffed on Napier but he's not looking so hot at Flarda. Last summer we whiffed on a pitching coach who was likely to bring a couple good arms with him too. It's likely time to bring in a name who has done well at other unis, like Malzahn. But would he come here?

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I think it’s hard in general, and even harder for a school like Mississippi State. I believe there is also a great deal of luck involved. Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida are schools with significantly more resources that us and they have all whiffed on coaching hires over the past 15 years. Tennessee and Florida have several whiffs. Florida hired one of our most successful coaches ever and it did not work out.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
It's hard to find a coach period. Yall out here acting like Florida, S.Carolina, Kentucky and Arkansas are out here batting .1000 on coaching hires? We have had better luck than all of them the past 10-20 years.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
We whiffed on Napier but he's not looking so hot at Flarda. Last summer we whiffed on a pitching coach who was likely to bring a couple good arms with him too. It's likely time to bring in a name who has done well at other unis, like Malzahn. But would he come here?
I am all for the Gus Bus at this point. We have a Waffle House. We just need a padded room at Davis Wade for his batchit crazy wife. Hire him now so he can develop Parson.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Thats why I'm not against rehiring the Mullens. It's hard to find just a good coach much less a great one.

Reactions: Indndawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's tough, but we have tried to rely on inexperienced coordinators too much . Dan was find by the ninja. Dan had also been a part of two national championships and in the sec. Moorhead not so much. Leach had been with a bunch of good teams then had experience as a hesd coach that was successful and had been in the sec. So if you want to do it right, target coordinators on a national championship team that also has sec experience. Or target a head coach that's been successful in power 5 with former sec experience. Like leach. He was a coordinator before in sec. Jackie was a good power 5 coach. Mullen coordinator in sec on two championship teams and was really good with qbs. Arnett was a coordinator in sec for 3 years on a team that was 6-7 in 21 and 9-4 last year. Not exactly champion level. Very little experience overall. Honestly, Monken If he would come back to college as head coach fits that description. Malzahn fits. Mullen fits.can also add patrino to that list.

Last edited:

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
It's tough, but we have tried to rely on inexperienced coordinators too much . Dan was find by the ninja. Dan had also been a part of two national championships and in the sec. Moorhead not so much. Leach had been with a bunch of good teams then had experience as a hesd coach that was successful and had been in the sec. So if you want to do it right, target coordinators on a national championship team that also has sec experience. Or target a head coach that's been successful in power 5 with former sec experience. Like leach. He was a coordinator before in sec. Jackie was a good power 5 coach. Mullen coordinator in sec on two championship teams and was really good with qbs. Arnett was a coordinator in sec for 3 years on a team that was 6-7 in 21 and 9-4 last year. Not exactly champion level. Very little experience overall. Honestly, Monken If he would come back to college as head coach fits that description. Malzahn fits. Mullen fits.
agree with all that, if You can find a guy who is experienced and has a scheme that leverages talent, that’s the best bet. what I mean by that is it’s not a scheme that is heavily talent dependent and can punch above its weight.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Hitting on every other coach is as good as you can hope for. Look at um - fired cut to hire ed o, fired him to hire nutt, he did good till ed o’s players graduated then the wheels fell off. Hit on freeze, then lol at Matt Luke.

I’d say they’re batting .500 - hit on freeze and Kiffin, struck out on Luke and O. Maybe give them a walk for Nutt, two good years followed by two disastrous years.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We hired a Hall of Fame Coach in January 2020 and nobody appreciated him until he was gone.
this is just dumb, he was beloved.

Because a half dozen idiots on the internet post something, it doesn't represent "everybody." Most of my peer group/coworkers/family are MSU fans, I don't know any that didn't love Mike and none of them wanted him fired.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
this is just dumb, he was beloved.

Because a half dozen idiots on the internet post something, it doesn't represent "everybody." Most of my peer group/coworkers/family are MSU fans, I don't know any that didn't love Mike and none of them wanted him fired.
People equate those who disliked the boring 3-5 yard pass offense with them hating leach the head coach and person.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Thats why I'm not against rehiring the Mullens. It's hard to find just a good coach much less a great one.
Would you rather have Mullen or Gus? Hard decision. Just because I'm worried Mullen wouldn't put the work into recruiting/the portal, I think I'd take Gus over him.

Whatever year Mullen brought UF to Davis Wade (2018?) and won, I was talking to a Gator fan as we were leaving the stadium. I told him Mullen could win a natty at UF, but he was a lazy recruiter. He responded, "We'll handle the recruiting for him" Obviously that didn't work out.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We just need a padded room at Davis Wade for his batchit crazy wife.
I bet Kristi is as wild as a sack full of rattlesnakes.
Music Video Britney GIF

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Would you rather have Mullen or Gus? Hard decision. Just because I'm worried Mullen wouldn't put the work into recruiting/the portal, I think I'd take Gus over him.

Whatever year Mullen brought UF to Davis Wade (2018?) and won, I was talking to a Gator fan as we were leaving the stadium. I told him Mullen could win a natty at UF, but he was a lazy recruiter. He responded, "We'll handle the recruiting for him" Obviously that didn't work out.
Mullen burned his bridges by leading us into at least three Ole Miss games totally unprepared, while he was shopping for another job.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Mullen is way, way too proud to come back here. And we would have to have way, way too much contractual verbiage that would guarantee that he and his agent have to STFU when he’s job shopping.

He never should have left, and definitely not when he did. I would bet we would hire him back, but he’d never do it. He’d rather make peanuts on TV than humble himself.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
You could probably go back through most schools histories and find spans where they missed on coaching hires.

Before Saban got to Alabama, they went through Shula, Dubose, Franchione, and Price.

Tennessee had Butch, Jones, Jeremy Pruitt and Derek Dooley,

Florida had Zook, McElwain, Muschamp and it looks like Napier will join that list.

Nebraska had Scott Frost, Callahan and Mike Riley.

Ole Miss missed on several as well

The issue with Arnett was there didn't seem to be a true vetting process. It was a hire made of convenience. I hope he turns it around but it's not looking good.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008

Whatever year Mullen brought UF to Davis Wade (2018?) and won, I was talking to a Gator fan as we were leaving the stadium. I told him Mullen could win a natty at UF, but he was a lazy recruiter. He responded, "We'll handle the recruiting for him" Obviously that didn't

I think choose neither.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The issue with Arnett was there didn't seem to be a true vetting process. It was a hire made of convenience. I hope he turns it around but it's not looking good.
Arnett's resume is ridiculously thin. We are just his second stop. He was in no way qualified, experienced, or ready for this job. It was a panic hire and yes an easy hire. I'm assuming during the interview no one thought to ask "are you going to keep this staff together and run Mike's offense, at least in the short term?"

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
How much money have we spent on coaching? Take a look at the schools that you're so envious of, and you'll see they have paid a hell of a lot of money for their coach. That includes how much money they have spent on their assistant coaches because this great coach they hire knows it takes that kind of money to keep a good staff around him happy. You can get a good coach quality coach when you pay enough for a quality coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login