Why does the portal window open and closes anymore?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If the courts ruled a guy can transfer as many times as they want and nothing the NCAA can do about it what's to say the NCAA can tell a guy when they can and can't transfer?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't even care about the portal anymore. Get back to me when these coaches stop leaving their players high and dry for huge paydays. That said, being allowed one free transfer, then being able to transfer again as a graduate, seems to be enough. You have to have some semblance of organization.

To me, NIL is the bigger issue. That's what causes the portal to be problematic. Need to really get after the policing of these collectives and bust some people. I can't imagine it's difficult to find evidence of recruiting enticements. Without money you'd see a lot less transfers, and they'd mainly be from guys looking to find playing time.

• Sad
Reactions: LimaoCabeca

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I don't even care about the portal anymore. Get back to me when these coaches stop leaving their players high and dry for huge paydays. That said, being allowed one free transfer, then being able to transfer again as a graduate, seems to be enough. You have to have some semblance of organization.

To me, NIL is the bigger issue. That's what causes the portal to be problematic. Need to really get after the policing of these collectives and bust some people. I can't imagine it's difficult to find evidence of recruiting enticements. Without money you'd see a lot less transfers, and they'd mainly be from guys looking to find playing time.

So go back to putting checks in rural Alabama black church offering plates when you want a certain player to transfer?

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
To me, its both NIL and the portal. The new "wild west portal" where you can transfer pretty much every other year only make the rich, richer. The blue bloods of the football world get to pick and choose who comes in, and the kids coming in want to win. So naturally they will go to a place that is winning now.

Then bring in NIL and those same blue bloods just have to offer the right amount and the kids are there.

There's no loyalty on either side anymore. Unfortunately, that's also the world we live in. Thinking back on my job(s), I'm a loyal employee, but why should I be? No one has the company retirement fund anymore, they've all gone to 401k's. So I guess in reality, football is catching up to real life.

I still don't like NIL or the portal tho...

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

patdog

May 28, 2007
To me, its both NIL and the portal. The new "wild west portal" where you can transfer pretty much every other year only make the rich, richer. The blue bloods of the football world get to pick and choose who comes in, and the kids coming in want to win. So naturally they will go to a place that is winning now.

Then bring in NIL and those same blue bloods just have to offer the right amount and the kids are there.

There's no loyalty on either side anymore. Unfortunately, that's also the world we live in. Thinking back on my job(s), I'm a loyal employee, but why should I be? No one has the company retirement fund anymore, they've all gone to 401k's. So I guess in reality, football is catching up to real life.

I still don't like NIL or the portal tho...
What’s this every other year stuff? Will may be about to transfer twice in one month. And he could transfer again in June if he wants to.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If the courts ruled a guy can transfer as many times as they want and nothing the NCAA can do about it what's to say the NCAA can tell a guy when they can and can't transfer?
It’s going in that direction.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
The only part that the NCAA will have to fall back on soon is that transfers have to maintain academic eligibility. Transferring mid semester/quarter with a bunch of “Incompletes” will not be allowed. The rest will be fair game. My guess.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login