Why doesn’t the SWAC champ play in FCS playoffs?

patdog

May 28, 2007
2 reasons. The Southern-Grambling game is after the playoffs start. And after several years of the SWAC champion getting blown out in the 1st round, the conference decided to stop the embarrassment. The SWAC is a really, really, really bad & disfunctional conference.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Like Patdog said, the SWAC is very dysfunctional and scheduling doesn’t match up with FCS playoffs. After regularly getting bounced from the playoffs, the SWAC and MEAC came up with the Celebration Bowl, which is the de facto “black college national championship game.” There was certainly a time when it was necessary, but the concept today seems small-minded and is a disservice to the athletes, IMO. I think Jackson State could’ve made some noise in the FCS playoffs this year.

Jun 9, 2015
It was weird this year because new SWAC member FAMU played in the FCS playoffs. They lost out first round though. I thought it was odd that it was FAMU, and not JSU, if there was going to be one.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I had no idea Florida A&M had joined the SWAC. But they do kind of prove the point that the SWAC sucks. Lost 38-14 (after being down 38-0 in the 4th quarter) to a SE Louisiana team that lost 59-20 in the next round. Also, how the heck is FAMU in the same division as Jackson St., but they didn't play during the year? Guess that kind of proved the disfunctional comment.

Last edited:

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
That is weird. Coach Prime might want to change that if he things JSU can actually make some noise in the FCS.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
That is weird. Coach Prime might want to change that if he things JSU can actually make some noise in the FCS.

They were talking mess last spring and during the preseason about how they could make noise in the FBS. They may want to step up and play some actual competition in FCS before talking that crap.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They were talking mess last spring and during the preseason about how they could make noise in the FBS. They may want to step up and play some actual competition in FCS before talking that crap.
So FAMU lost to JSU 7-6 (i.e. close game). FAMU got in the FCS because of the SWAC weirdness, then loses in the first round to SELA 38-14, who then turns around and gets blasted by James Madison in the second round.

Yeah, gonna take a Prime a long time, if ever, to really do anything besides win the SWAC.

Fun fact: SELA only lost to La Tech 45-42. Makes you wonder what we were thinking about in that game, and the Memphis game. I get that Leach always does this, but if he'd upgrade the talent, we'd still likely win these games comfortably.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login