Why Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Are we the only fools willing to do it or does ESPN sell a lot of advertisement for the game? Is it because most games the 4th quarter must see tv? There is usually some crazy finish. There has been NFL games going on while the Egg Bowl is being played.

Why?

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

patdog

May 28, 2007
Because LSU refuses to play the home game vs A&M on Thanksgiving & we refuse to play on Thanksgiving unless it’s every year instead of only the Starkville years. If/when we go to a 9-game schedule, Texas-A&M will be the thanksgiving game.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Because LSU refuses to play the home game vs A&M on Thanksgiving & we refuse to play on Thanksgiving unless it’s every year instead of only the Starkville years. If/when we go to a 9-game schedule, Texas-A&M will be the thanksgiving game.
I hope you’re right about A&M and Texas. I hate the egg bowl on thanksgiving

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
For the umpteenth time... I liked it when we were the only game in town. Now we are facing the NFL.

It also gives us a short week before our biggest game of the year. It will be our biggest game as long as Satan is at Bama.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This year (I think for the first time) there are three 3 NFL games on Thanksgiving. Most eyeballs will be on those game. I'm assuming ESPN wants a mid tier game as filler. I wish we could mov it, but I don't see that happening.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This year (I think for the first time) there are three 3 NFL games on Thanksgiving. Most eyeballs will be on those game. I'm assuming ESPN wants a mid tier game as filler. I wish we could mov it, but I don't see that happening.
NFL has had a night game for at least 2 years now. In 2021, saints and Buffalo played the night game. In 2022, patriots and Vikings played. I’m not sure about the saints game but the pats/Viking game drew 24 million viewers last year. I’m sure that game drew some casual watchers of college football away from the egg bowl. However, I bet 2 years ago going up against the saints took a lot of watchers away. Probably a lot of viewers in Louisiana, MS, FL and Alabama that would typically watch college football over NFL, except for when the saints are playing.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Great, this thread again.

Thanksgiving is a booooring holiday. The Egg Bowl on that day becomes the central focus rather than a table of food.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
ESPN needs programming on a holiday when people are most likely watching TV in large groups. It doesn’t matter if more people are watching NFL games. A small piece of a really big pie is better than no pie at all. It’s not that hard to understand. They’re not forcing you to go. It never really bothered me one way or the other but my family never did a big family gathering on thanksgiving, that was always reserved for Christmas, but I do understand people not liking it when they do have family commitments.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yes there's 3 but the one we'll be up against won't draw eyes away from us in our part of the country and starts an hour after ours:

1685544441699.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login