Why is Oher just now looking for $$$?

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
I mean, is the guy broke now? Surely he had somebody watching his money. I'll hang up and listen.......

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I mean, is the guy broke now? Surely he had somebody watching his money. I'll hang up and listen.......
Lotta vultures in this world that prey on people who don't understand much about money/investing/financing, and/or appeal to people's greed to take advantage of them. Not saying that happened to him, but it would not be the first time.

ETA: “We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money.” — Patrick Ewing <---This quote prefaced my primary financial advice for my kids. No matter how much you make, if you spend more than that, you will be in trouble.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
He may just want to be in the will as an "adopted" child......stranger things have happened

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Lotta vultures in this world that prey on people who don't understand much about money/investing/financing, and/or appeal to people's greed to take advantage of them. Not saying that happened to him, but it would not be the first time.

ETA: “We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money.” — Patrick Ewing <---This quote prefaced my primary financial advice for my kids. No matter how much you make, if you spend more than that, you will be in trouble.
Exactly. Throw into the mix that Oher was a minor when he met them. My guess is he trusted them implicitly and didn't question much when it came to the Tuohys. Something like that can start when someone is a minor and continue for decades into adulthood before the abused finally speaks up. A lot of people take a long time to speak up because they are embarrassed when they realize as adults that they were exploited. Some people don't speak up because they've seen others speak up and be met with the question, "Why are you just now bringing this up?"

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Say what you want, but Oher got a pretty sweet deal. Educated white folks helping you through an important time of your life when you had next to nothing else as a guiding light.... Even if he was screwed a little bit, I am sure it has helped him even more.

Now I will say, the Toeleys shouldn't have screwed him at all, but it seems like they did. Not a good look for those fine "Christian" people.

dawglawz

Nov 14, 2012
Say what you want, but Oher got a pretty sweet deal. Educated white folks helping you through an important time of your life when you had next to nothing else as a guiding light.... Even if he was screwed a little bit, I am sure it has helped him even more.

Now I will say, the Toeleys shouldn't have screwed him at all, but it seems like they did. Not a good look for those fine "Christian" people.
I don't know how you reconcile "they screwed him" with "he got a pretty sweet deal." I don't usually consider it a good deal if I've been swindled.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Exactly. Throw into the mix that Oher was a minor when he met them. My guess is he trusted them implicitly and didn't question much when it came to the Tuohys. Something like that can start when someone is a minor and continue for decades into adulthood before the abused finally speaks up. A lot of people take a long time to speak up because they are embarrassed when they realize as adults that they were exploited. Some people don't speak up because they've seen others speak up and be met with the question, "Why are you just now bringing this up?"
And honestly, I was also referring to the number of people who probably descended on him when he made the NFL offering to "help" him invest his money. If the Tuohys had taken the same interest in the rest of his family, I'd be a little less sceptical on them...

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

Something along these lines. Someone got in his head. "Your movie grossed $300 million. How much did you get of that? Less than 1%?! Somebody owes you more." Probably easy to feel taken advantage of in that situation so he's lashing out at low hanging fruit.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Would any of you just "deal with it" when you knew someone had cut you out of 5 million dollars on YOUR OWN LIFE STORY?

I swear I really wonder about some of you guys. "Just stiring up things for his new book". GTFO. Who cares about the timing. I hope he makes $500M off his new book, who cares good for him.

Legally he is owed millions by a trashy fake family that used him to get money and fame on a fake story. HIS OWN STORY. A lie and a lie that won an actress an oscar. All fake. Oher got $0.

His book is his first chance to tell HIS OWN STORY and profit from it. I halfway wonder if this filthly lawyer contacted the book publisher and told them he had rights to the money on Oher's new book as well because of the conservatorship. I would not put it past these people.

I tell you what. I will write a book about a fake story of your life and sell it and make it into a movie. When you complain about it I will tell you that you are just stirring up interest in yourself and to go away because you like Ole Miss.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I don't think it's necessarily a money play. He made $35 million in the league and has written a book.

I think it's more about stirring up interest in his new book.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's spent over 90% of that, while "mom & dad" are worth 9 figures.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I halfway wonder if this filthly lawyer contacted the book publisher and told them he had rights to the money on Oher's new book as well because of the conservatorship. I would not put it past these people.
I did read somewhere that Oher found out about this while working on getting his book published which is why it is just now coming out after all of these years.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Wouldn't the Touhys - as conservators but more importantly as "Mom" and "Dad" - have taught Big Mike about money?

It may be a cash grab by a young buck that was taken for a ride and left out of the family. Or it could just be Ole Miss doing typical OM things. The Truth will set the Bearsharks free

• Haha
Reactions: Msdeltareb

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Regardless of what is found to be the truth in the ensuing legal battle, one thing we know to be 100% true: The story that the Tuohys built their fame and legacy upon was a fairytale.

I can't imagine how pissed the Tuohys are that Oher has brought the fantasy to an end:
d2750cd9-0a8d-40e6-a3ac-9a65a2d199ee_text.gif

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The real reason they initiated the conservatorship is so he would be eligible to play at Ole Miss. Under the old rules, everything they provided him would be considered impermissible benefits from boosters.
correct. and it had to be done after he was over 18. but then they realized the benefits of that and used Oher to ride to white trash fame and oh yeah, millions of dollars that ethically was his that was unethically (but legally) hidden from him.

would you want that family at your tailgate in the future? hell no.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Yeah, poor black kids should try to be grateful when white folks do that Christian stuff, even if it screws 'em a little.
Amuhright? Amuhright? Amen.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This is all about Ole Miss cheating and being celebrated in a football fantasy film. This whole mess is on the university and THE NETWORK. I hope it gets $4it-flying ugly in the court of law and the university gets abused, but they'll likely work the Mississippi media so it turns into more landshark propaganda.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I believe his editor discovered all this when they were fact checking his book for publication. The company would have tried to confirm every assertion in the book to determine its accuracy to save them embarrassment should things not turn out to be true.

That is why it is all coming out now. The editing and fact checking would have taken place earlier this year before publication. I'm sure it was also held for a bit to drum up book sales too. It's not a surprise that his book came out the day after.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

Fortunate for him Ole Miss needed an all American offensive line man. Otherwise he would’ve never had the Touhy’s guidance on what SEC school he should attend.

Unfortunate for his 11 brothers and sisters that had no SEC football scholarship offers, and didn’t receive the same guidance.

Reactions: onewoof

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Maybe he found out he wasn't actually adopted and decided to lash out. Evem if they didnt cheat him out of money they are still awful people who only took an interest in him due to his size and talent.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
correct. and it had to be done after he was over 18. but then they realized the benefits of that and used Oher to ride to white trash fame and oh yeah, millions of dollars that ethically was his that was unethically (but legally) hidden from him.

would you want that family at your tailgate in the future? hell no.
White trash fame?

I mean i don’t think the tuohys are great people but white trash?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Something that I haven’t seen discussed much is the possibility that the Tuohys primarily or partly took him in because of his football prowess AND also came to love/care about him. It’s not uncommon for a certain class of people to “adopt” a child that looks different from them as some kind of bizarro status symbol.

And before anyone jumps on me, it’s also quite common for people to adopt children that are in some way different from them, and for all the right reasons, i.e., genuine love and goodwill.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Maybe he just feels betrayed and lied to and wants justice. If his story is true then that is exactly what happened.

Reactions: HeCannotGo

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Something along these lines. Someone got in his head. "Your movie grossed $300 million. How much did you get of that? Less than 1%?! Somebody owes you more." Probably easy to feel taken advantage of in that situation so he's lashing out at low hanging fruit.
This is what I think is happening. I'm guessing that when he was younger, he was just happy to have a stable family take an interest in him. As he's gotten older, he's probably gotten a little bitter as he has realized that relationship was pretty transactional, hence them not taking an interest in any of his siblings. Combine that real hurt with people getting in his ear and amplifying it, and you get a lawsuit. Be interesting to see what happens. I don't think much of the Tuohys, but I am going to guess their ducks are in a row on this and they will be able to show where any royalty money went.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login