Why is QB play so bad in the NFL?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Sam Darnold threw 5 completions for 43 yards and 2 INT and…won.

A lot of QB’s throwing for low 200 yards and winning.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Today is kind of a bad example with 1/2 the teams resting starters. Let’s see how it looks next week.

Also, it feels like a new generation of QBs has emerged - especially in the AFC. This postseason is being headlined by Burrow, Allen, T. Lawrence, Herbert, Mahomes, etc. The NFC has Hurts, but not much else.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Nov 29, 2017
IMO defenses are crazy good now. Qbs are expected to throw 20,30+ times a game, and nobody really is that good at running the ball anymore and keeping them honest. Dak just passed Troy in tds thrown. Hard to believe how little they threw back then for Dak to do that already. Troy probably wouldn’t make the hall of fame in todays game without the rings.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
QB play is generally fantastic. Today was a poor example because a lot of starters were sitting.

But think about this...Geno Smith threw for 4000 yds this season.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Today is kind of a bad example with 1/2 the teams resting starters. Let’s see how it looks next week.

Also, it feels like a new generation of QBs has emerged - especially in the AFC. This postseason is being headlined by Burrow, Allen, T. Lawrence, Herbert, Mahomes, etc. The NFC has Hurts, but not much else.

And Hurts is still totally unproven in the playoffs. We’ll see what he’s got in a few weeks. I’d certainly take whoever comes out of the AFC as the Super Bowl champ as of right now.

Reactions: patdog

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
May have been said already, but most of them aren't in one place long enough working with a consistent offensive coaching staff, much less teammates. It takes time and repetition to be elite. Natural talent can go a long way, but familiarity with the offense, scheme and the talent around you helps a whole hell of a lot.
You got to have a sound mind too with an ability to put the bad stuff behind you quick and not get rattled.
I really think that's what gets most of them.
You're up against the best athletes to play the game on defense and all they have to do is confuse you and come after you. If you can't stay focused on your task because your dancing around for your life, it's pretty 17n hard to get better at your job.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Another issue is protection. There are quite a few teams with really shìtty offensive lines where the QBs are running for their life. Good offensive line units are hard to come by and a lot of it has to do with how big and fast defensive players have become too. It’s alot to handle.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Sam Darnold threw 5 completions for 43 yards and 2 INT and…won.

A lot of QB’s throwing for low 200 yards and winning.

Simple answer: Then NFL doesn't do enough to protect QBs

Relax, I kid...

Ducking only the lonely GIF by Colony House - Band

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because we glorify the dual threat. And in GENERAL, you can’t really do the dual threat as well in the NFL. You have to be an elite thrower. And we’ve cycled all those guys out in the name of the ‘runner’.

Big mistake, as we are seeing now. A dual threat can make if they are an elite thrower, like Cam Newton. But I only know of about 2 that did anything that weren’t elite throwers, that’s Vick and Jackson. We will see what Hurts ultimately does. I’m betting they don’t win it all.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My guess is better athletes are playing defense these days. Also, there has been a shift in replacing run stopping, thumping linebackers with faster, more agile beefed up safeties impersonating linebackers. This makes defensive zones extremely tight and scary to throw into. By replacing those "dick butkus" type linebackers, I've noticed that all back 7 or 8 defenders in the NFL are pretty good tacklers in space. Not many Deion Sanders type corners in the NFL who avoid contact. While they lack his shut down cover skills and route jumping abilities, they play more physical all over the field.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login