Why isn't there women's college football?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Just happened to see something pop up on the tv last night about women's college hockey game. Must've been a replay or something. It was news to me that women's collegiate hockey even existed and got me to thinking...for most men's collegiate sports, there is a women's equivalent: basketball, soccer, softball (ehhh, close enough in theory to baseball), diving, swimming, tennis, golf, track and field. Every major men's sport at USC has a women's equivalent, except for football.

Why is that? I know there are some fringe leagues out there. But why hasn't this been done at the high school or collegiate levels?

With the huge surge in interest in women's sports and our nation's love of all things football, it seems foolish that this hasn't been explored.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Probably because it's the most expensive sport to finance/operate due to sheer numbers required to field a team.
Easier to meet ''Title IX requirements'' with less costly sports.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I doubt there's enough high school girls out there interested in playing football to make high school girls football a thing. Until there's a grass roots effort to create it at the youth level, I don't see it happening.

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
Just happened to see something pop up on the tv last night about women's college hockey game. Must've been a replay or something. It was news to me that women's collegiate hockey even existed and got me to thinking...for most men's collegiate sports, there is a women's equivalent: basketball, soccer, softball (ehhh, close enough in theory to baseball), diving, swimming, tennis, golf, track and field. Every major men's sport at USC has a women's equivalent, except for football.

Why is that? I know there are some fringe leagues out there. But why hasn't this been done at the high school or collegiate levels?

With the huge surge in interest in women's sports and our nation's love of all things football, it seems foolish that this hasn't been explored.
Did you see the girl kicker at Vandy a few years ago????....if so that should answer your question

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Many schools which sponsor varsity ice hockey do so for both women and men. Most ice hockey programs in the south are at the club level. The last I read up, Alabama-Huntsville was the only southern school to sponsor D-I ice hockey.

One sport which is popularly sponsored for women and not for men (at least on the D-I level) is volleyball. There's something like 30 D-I schools which sponsor volleyball for men, mostly in the traditional B1G and PAC12 footprints (I'm using PAC12 merely for geographic reference).

Plenty of D-III schools sponsor men's volleyball - Lander is one which comes to mind. And I believe that the SCHSL just started sponsoring championships for boys volleyball.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Most of them don't like playing the sport.

I wonder what can be done to change that and make the sport more inclusive? Why does it stand out as the one sport that portrayed as "male only"? There is women's college rugby.

Last edited:

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Football is a collision sport. Not too many chicks willing to launch their body to make a tackle or make a catch. I agree with the previous poster who said maybe if there was girls football leagues so they gradually become more aggressive like boys. Also, helmets mess up their beautiful hair. Don't argue with softball helmets because they only wear them during part of the game. Call me sexist.

Reactions: vacock

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
They sent her out to kickoff and she barely made it to Mizzou's 40....went about 25 yards....people wont sit there and watch that level of play for 10 minutes much less 3 hours
Wow! 25 yards. What was she wearing?

attempting to be funny. Didn’t make it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They sent her out to kickoff and she barely made it to Mizzou's 40....went about 25 yards....people wont sit there and watch that level of play for 10 minutes much less 3 hours
But every female sport is considerably slower and far less athletic than the male equivalent. Yet, people still watch them.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
Nobody on the planet would watch women’s football except a few plaid-wearin’ biker chicks.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Saw that. I believe one of the the announcers called it a pooch kick. 😯

• Haha
Reactions: moouclem

USCClassof1974

Joined Apr 22, 2000
Jan 21, 2022
Georgia has girls high school flag football and has a championship game or two at the same site/dates as the boys finals.

Reactions: Uscg1984

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Nobody on the planet would watch women’s football except a few plaid-wearin’ biker chicks.
There are tons of varsity scholarship sports that nobody on the planet watches.

It certainly seems like varsity flag football would solve most of the issues raised in this thread. If you can recruit enough women to play lacrosse, then you could recruit enough to play flag football. And you don't need 85, er. . .105, scholarships to completely offset football, but it seems like a cheap way to add a women's sport with 15 or 20 scholarships - enough to offset the new increase in football scholarships.

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022

Because it would cost a fortune and not bring in anywhere near the money that men’s college football does!!

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Georgia has girls high school flag football and has a championship game or two at the same site/dates as the boys finals.
And the guys in attendance are waiting for that grab for the flag that comes away with much more than the flag.
This happened to me in Jr High and I was running down the field in a jock strap. Everybody watching cracked up and it took me while to shed the nickname, Jocko. lol

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
But every female sport is considerably slower and far less athletic than the male equivalent. Yet, people still watch them.
the ratings aren't great tho....and puttng together a basketball team or softball team or tennis team is much easier than a football team...there are some awesome softball players that are entertaining to watch but sitting through a 3 hour football game would be torture...imo

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
I've never kicked a football wearing heels. But I'd probably make it a least 30 yards.
you would probably be like me and snap both your ankles walking onto the field....and by chance you did make it out there I would pay to see your approach on the kickoff

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Good point. But, it's possible. Google lingerie football league.
This was my initial thought. Nobody will watch women’s football…at least not enough to make money. You can literally put them in lingerie and people still won’t watch. We’ve seen from experience. Not sure if nude will bring in viewers or not…

Reactions: vacock

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
I wonder what can be done to change that and make the sport more inclusive? Why does it stand out as the one sport that portrayed as "male only"? There is women's college rugby.
Why does it even have to be? Why can't there simply be a sport that is just for guys? I'd venture to say most women are just fine with not having women's football out there.

Reactions: 3USC1801

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Why does it even have to be? Why can't there simply be a sport that is just for guys? I'd venture to say most women are just fine with not having women's football out there.
On the contrary, I am 100% certain there are girls who would love to play football.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
On the contrary, I am 100% certain there are girls who would love to play football.
I didn’t say there weren’t. I said “most”.
However, the few that might be interested are very much the exception and it would not be worth the costs associated.

We don’t have to have a woman’s equivalent to every man’s sport.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I didn’t say there weren’t. I said “most”.
However, the few that might be interested are very much the exception and it would not be worth the costs associated.

We don’t have to have a woman’s equivalent to every man’s sport.

Don't we? Women's wrestling. Women's boxing. Women's MMA. Women's rugby.

Why not football? It's no less physical/masculine than the above.

Latest posts