Wichita St job opens up

was21

May 29, 2007
Way back in the 1970s Murray St. hired Ron Greene away from us after 1 season (18-9). That’s how bad our athletic dept was back then.
Ron and Bob Tyler didn't jibe. Bob being AD may have been trying to protect dollars for football since there wasn't very much surplus at that time. It was an uncomfortable time. I was a Tyler man and Greene man as well...just became dysfunctional. Bob had become a Howard Huges type figure and didn't exactly have an open door policy at that time. He's still one of my heroes.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ron and Bob Tyler didn't jibe. Bob being AD may have been trying to protect dollars for football since there wasn't very much surplus at that time. It was an uncomfortable time. I was a Tyler man and Greene man as well...just became dysfunctional. Bob had become a Howard Huges type figure and didn't exactly have an open door policy at that time. He's still one of my heroes.
I think you nailed it. Tyler laid the foundation that built our football program, despite many lean years in the 1980s and 2000s. But we can’t imagine how bad the program was when he was hired. The previous 3 coaches were 17-84-6 in the SEC over 18 years. Worse than Vanderbilt. He gave Greene a $7,500 raise for going 18-9. Greene got out.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I was Tyler fan also, he brought us out of the darkness. Regrettably it seems he got on a power trip. And got sent packing, they took AD title away from him, he did not like that.

Last edited:

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I
If Wichita State could steal one of our coaches, it would be time to close up shop.

Before he got fired, Gregg Marshall turned down a truckload of money from Bama to stay at Witchita State.

Their basketball arena is named after the 14th richest man in the world. If they want to get serious about stealing a coach from us or Wake, I wouldn’t scoff at them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I

Before he got fired, Gregg Marshall turned down a truckload of money from Bama to stay at Witchita State.

Their basketball arena is named after the 14th richest man in the world. If they want to get serious about stealing a coach from us or Wake, I wouldn’t scoff at them.

Agreed. It could be just an agent play, but their history is also a lot more decorated than ours. They have 5 more NCAA appearances than we do, 3 more Sweet 16’s, 2 more Elite 8’s, and one more Final Four. They also don’t have a football program, so basketball rules the campus and will get the full weight of their NIL efforts.

Jans spent 9 years there as an assistant and likely has a ton of roots there, friends still in the area, etc. The usual Starkville disadvantage is in play. Its a good early test for Selmon to make sure we keep him happy and retain him.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
. They also don’t have a football program, so basketball rules the campus and will get the full weight of their NIL efforts.
It's been reported that they lost a ton of players due to a lack of NIL infrastructure.
Maybe that's changed?...not sure. But last I saw, it was so bad they were losing players to the portal.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's been reported that they lost a ton of players due to a lack of NIL infrastructure.
Maybe that's changed?...not sure. But last I saw, it was so bad they were losing players to the portal.
That job is not what it once was. If it was 5 years ago I’d be worried, not so much now.

Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Certainly possible…I haven’t followed their NIL stuff that closely. I think the football-driven conference realignment push probably puts WSU in a long term losing position as far as revenue potential even if they are able to focus all donor funds on basketball.

But, the American conference is full of schools like that, and with Cincy and Houston leaving it could be argued that Wichita State could dominate that league annually with a great coach….just like Memphis did in the old CUSA. There is certainly an easier path to consistent national relevance there than what MSU has in the current SEC where Bama, Tennessee, UK, Auburn, and Arkansas are now national Top 20-25 programs.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I

Koch is a cheap labor guy so he'd likely tell the coach to sign a bunch of guys from south of the border.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That must have been a rough 15 minutes between tweets for BFW to say it ruined his afternoon.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I wonder what sources are used when a sport's guy tweets things like that. Or do they just pull schit outta their collective A$$ES for clicks?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
With those schools leaving - will the AAC become a 1 bid league?

Maybe some years? Temple and Memphis are still there, and you’ll have schools like USF and Tulsa (and UAB?) that are occasionally decent. I’d think most years they will get at least 2.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I wonder what sources are used when a sport's guy tweets things like that. Or do they just pull schit outta their collective A$$ES for clicks?
I think I’m this case, he just pulled a couple of names out of his a** simply because they both are former WSU assistants. Then he was quickly corrected by real sources & put out the follow up “not interested” tweet. If I was a cynic. I’d say the whole thing was to generate clicks.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
In our modern media landscape, are there any consequences for being wrong or inaccurate or just posting hunches or something someone may have said?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
In our modern media landscape, are there any consequences for being wrong or inaccurate or just posting hunches or something someone may have said?
Yep, this is one of those classic cliches "I saw it on the internet so it must be true".

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes. You get more clicks and get more people taking about you. So, win.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Dare we say it would be ....."SHOCKING"!!
Waynes World Thumbs Up GIF by Hollywood Suite

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login