Wild Recent TED Talk - Quantum Computing

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Let’s say you have 1,000,000 drawers with one containing a ball. Traditional computing would average 500,000 chances before it found the ball. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But on average - you’d be in the middle.

With quantum computing you might only need 1,000 guesses. Why? Because it’s using a multiverse approach and it can see behind the curtain a little bit.

Wild stuff.

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
I guess somewhere in the multiverse he was outside and the sun was really bright...

If you have a computer that can make computations that no other computer can make, how do you know it's right? Or does it even matter?

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I guess somewhere in the multiverse he was outside and the sun was really bright...

If you have a computer that can make computations that no other computer can make, how do you know it's right? Or does it even matter?
It doesn't matter and that is the beauty of quantum tech. Just sit back and ride the subatomic algorithm.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Quantum physics is an amazing and bizarre thing that we're barely starting to understand. The ideas of "super position" and "quantum entanglement" are truly mind-bending.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'm not an expert but this doesn't seem right. The quantum processor isn't 'looking into the multiverse', it just uses qubits which can store more information than a regular bit. The main advantage to quantum computing is speed.

So while you are correct that it would take less time for a quantum computer to solve a search problem (assuming you were using an algorithm specific to quantum computers), it's not because it's breaking the laws of physics. It's just able to process more data than a standard bit-based CPU.

I would assume you could also achieve similar speeds if you parceled out a problem over 1,000,000 processors at once. If each CPU got exactly one box to look in, it'd solve that problem REALLY fast.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not an expert but this doesn't seem right. The quantum processor isn't 'looking into the multiverse', it just uses qubits which can store more information than a regular bit. The main advantage to quantum computing is speed.

So while you are correct that it would take less time for a quantum computer to solve a search problem (assuming you were using an algorithm specific to quantum computers), it's not because it's breaking the laws of physics. It's just able to process more data than a standard bit-based CPU.

I would assume you could also achieve similar speeds if you parceled out a problem over 1,000,000 processors at once. If each CPU got exactly one box to look in, it'd solve that problem REALLY fast.
Isn't quantum computing basically relying on the spooky action at a distance concept? Even if it's not actually at a distance?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think I will apply my normal layperson’s approach to this…..and just wait on the Christopher Nolan movie that comes out to explain it to my dubmass.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011

This was my thought as well. It also seems to utilize a lot of "guesswork", hence the large error rate problem that needs to be solved.

Between this and AI, I do expect medicines and complex problem solving (batteries, climate modeling, etc.) to improve drastically in the "near" future (20 to 50 years maybe). But, I'm not holding my breath on "figuring out where consciousness comes from" type stuff.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
What I love about the human perception of a multiverse is that we think we exist in all or most of those other universes where it is more than likely we don't appear in any other universe. You would have to have predetermination and intelligent design to appear in more than one.

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
Quantum physics is an amazing and bizarre thing that we're barely starting to understand. The ideas of "super position" and "quantum entanglement" are truly mind-bending.
Spooky action at a distance is a truly mind blowing concept.
Network security using quantum entangled keys is almost unbeatable. The very act of trying to hack it would alert the user. Extremely cool concept.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There’s some very weird stuff going on at the fundamental subatomic level in the universe. I think calling it a multi-verse is probably wrong, or at best a gross oversimplification.

1723655133738.jpeg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login